blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:57:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Feedback please: PLO Tournaments at DTD?
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feedback please: PLO Tournaments at DTD?  (Read 5871 times)
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2014, 12:41:57 AM »

Would a £100 buyin perhaps be more appealing with say a £20,000 GTE.

I'm not sure if there'd be enough people comfortable enough with the game to pay £250?

if the BI was that small people wouldn't travel to play imo.

I would play if it was in June or July.

There is that issue. But are there enough people who'd travel to play a 2 day PLO event at that price?

Blue text
JaffaCake

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2014, 01:47:09 AM »

I'm not sure if there'd be enough people comfortable enough with the game to pay £250?

Agree with this, it's a bit small to justify travelling and hotel etc, a £500 buy in might work better. Would like to play more PLO comps in the UK tho, just not sure paying the same in exes is sensible

There is that issue. But are there enough people who'd travel to play a 2 day PLO event at that price?
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2014, 02:17:01 AM »

You can play day 1 online, so don't think there is a big issue with the buy in, and it is only one night's hotel if you stay over.  A £100 tournament is locals only and there are unlikely to be 200 of them to play a plo comp

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2014, 06:26:35 AM »

In short, yes.

At the UKPC the Buy-In to the PLO was £500 (£250 proposed here), with a £25,000 Guarantee.

It got 79 runners, for a £39,500 Prize Pool.  

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2014, 09:07:12 AM »

In short, yes.

At the UKPC the Buy-In to the PLO was £500 (£250 proposed here), with a £25,000 Guarantee.

You think it works outside of the festival though? I imagine the ukpc main was a far bigger draw.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2014, 09:15:30 AM »

In short, yes.

You think it works outside of the festival though? I imagine the ukpc main was a far bigger draw.

I don't know, in truth. You may be right.

I suppose my point was that if the event is well-structured & promoted, the demand IS there.

DTD ran PLO Tourneys before, a good few years back. Doubt they ever got more than 24 runners. But they were turbo affairs, one night jobbies, & I don't think that suits PLO, a game, imo, that is especially suited to well-balanced clocks & stacks. To me, (personally) PLO will never be a crash-bang wallop turbo game, it's like fine wine, or a good Lady, it deserves time, attention, & plenty of foreplay.

I confess also that I am deeply in love with the 4 card variants, & want to see more of them, so I'm a bit biased really.

Back in the day, PLO was always on the festival schedules, but they were destroyed by Unlimited Rebuys. It was not at all unusual to see folks going all-in blind every hand, & taking 10 or 15 Rebuys. That killed the game on the Live Tourney scene.   

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Gamblor21

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2014, 10:59:54 AM »

I agree on the buyin front, I wouldn't travel if it was too low. Then again if it had a chunky guarantee and an online day 1 option I might take a punt.

I do think it would be a success though, in festivals of old you would have people travel specifically to play the Omaha event. DC players from around the country. They were/are like Tikay, love the game so want to play a good structured event where they can enjoy themselves.

If DTD put a guarantee on the event I think it will hit the numbers. Main problem with Omaha events is that you can't guarantee the numbers so don't risk travelling and it is then a vicious circle causing the event to fail. If it has the guarantee there is less risk so you are willing to travel (as is everyone else) and the guarantee is met (more often than not).

Hear me knocking... Let me in then!
robbiebox
me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2014, 07:35:18 AM »

Agreed with g'tee in PLO would help make people's minds up, but in the first instance it might be worth lowering it to 30/35k. Also not a fan of re-entries in any tourneys as players gamble too much for my liking at the wrong time in a tourney and PLO would encourage this even more. So please keep it double chance with no or very limited re-entry.

I would play without a doubt if available.

Luckbox is my most successful strategy.
http://bigdealinabox.blogspot.com/
luther101

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2014, 02:44:38 PM »

I'd play.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2014, 02:46:22 PM »

I agree on the buyin front, I wouldn't travel if it was too low. Then again if it had a chunky guarantee and an online day 1 option I might take a punt.

I do think it would be a success though, in festivals of old you would have people travel specifically to play the Omaha event. DC players from around the country. They were/are like Tikay, love the game so want to play a good structured event where they can enjoy themselves.

If DTD put a guarantee on the event I think it will hit the numbers. Main problem with Omaha events is that you can't guarantee the numbers so don't risk travelling and it is then a vicious circle causing the event to fail. If it has the guarantee there is less risk so you are willing to travel (as is everyone else) and the guarantee is met (more often than not).

These online day ones are brilliant, my preferred option when I get chance to play.
Nilawina

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2014, 09:52:46 PM »

Like the idea of a day 1 online. Unheard of for PLO
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: