blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:35:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272539 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  blue badge for parking
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: blue badge for parking  (Read 8088 times)
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2013, 01:52:29 AM »

I may be wildly missing the point here but surely your badge doesn't give you the same privileges as able bodies people? It allows you to park for free, in better spots, and often in places an able bodied person either a) can't park, or b) has to pay for.

We used to have one for my brother when I was little. One of the best things to own ever.

Blue text
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2013, 07:52:45 AM »

Cf it doesn't  allow you to park for free it allows you to park in widen bays, yes some car parks give you free parking I would say about 10% of the ones I use that charge  drivers  give free paring to blue badge holders I would rather pay that or choose not to park there like any other driver would

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2013, 10:05:40 AM »

If you feel you don't benefit from a blue badge, just don't get one.

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2013, 10:08:27 AM »

Ironside, as others have said, this isn't Joanna Lumley and the Gurkhas.  I know that you're annoyed, but there are better ways of going about this.  What's the view of disabled charities/pressure groups?  Is a legal challenge possible?
SirPerceval

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2013, 10:11:09 AM »

Iron. Most people on this forum are advising you not to take this stance. Some of these people may even consider you a friend.

How do you think the general public are going to react if you take this to the extent you say? I would guess they also will quickly be persuaded that the charge is reasonable and fair.

All you are likely to achieve here is a lot of frustration for you, and a lot of worry for your parents.

I think it is very unfair that a disabled person should get the VIP spot without paying for it. I am denied that space because I am able bodied. You don't have a free choice of space, I accept that. But neither do I. I just happen to have a greater number of spaces because there is a greater number of able bodied people, but there is also a greater demand.

I also think it is wrong to assume that because someone is disabled means that they need financial help. Some do, some don't. Just like able bodied people. (I'm not saying you assumed this BTW). If someone can't afford the cost of the badge then I think it is reasonable for some of my taxes to help that person. But someone who is disabled and can afford it (my Mum for example) should contribute the tiny amount being asked. £Million's of tax payers money is being spend on things like DDA so I don't think it unreasonable that those that can afford a blue badge pay for it.
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2013, 10:21:53 AM »

Cf it doesn't  allow you to park for free it allows you to park in widen bays, yes some car parks give you free parking I would say about 10% of the ones I use that charge  drivers  give free paring to blue badge holders I would rather pay that or choose not to park there like any other driver would

Oh, does it not allow you to park on double yellow lines and the like?

Though come to think of it my brothers badge was orange and not blue.

Blue text
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2013, 10:26:20 AM »

My interpretation of the badge is that I can park anywhere I like (within reason) and for that reason it's invaluable.

SirPerceval

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2013, 10:34:21 AM »

OK, please help me understand this.

Some disabled drivers don't pay road tax (but can use the services that the road tax pays for).

why is this?

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-for-disabled-people?source=most-popular
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2013, 10:41:51 AM »

Iron. Most people on this forum are advising you not to take this stance. Some of these people may even consider you a friend.

How do you think the general public are going to react if you take this to the extent you say? I would guess they also will quickly be persuaded that the charge is reasonable and fair.

All you are likely to achieve here is a lot of frustration for you, and a lot of worry for your parents.

I think it is very unfair that a disabled person should get the VIP spot without paying for it. I am denied that space because I am able bodied. You don't have a free choice of space, I accept that. But neither do I. I just happen to have a greater number of spaces because there is a greater number of able bodied people, but there is also a greater demand.

I also think it is wrong to assume that because someone is disabled means that they need financial help. Some do, some don't. Just like able bodied people. (I'm not saying you assumed this BTW). If someone can't afford the cost of the badge then I think it is reasonable for some of my taxes to help that person. But someone who is disabled and can afford it (my Mum for example) should contribute the tiny amount being asked. £Million's of tax payers money is being spend on things like DDA so I don't think it unreasonable that those that can afford a blue badge pay for it.

Seriously?

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2013, 12:23:05 PM »

I am resisting a response on Sirs post....must walk away..
Boba Fett
Doctor of Thugonomics

Pain is Temporary!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2013, 12:46:58 PM »

You can park for free anywhere that doesnt need a barrier to get out, like street parking.

Ya gotta crawl before ya ball!
SirPerceval

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2013, 01:13:15 PM »

Seriously?

Not really no. Just trying to point out that it isn't a one sided argument.

For the record my Mum is disabled and I do get frustrated at perfectly able bodied people using disabled spaces without a blue badge meaning she has to sit in the car and wait for one to become free.

But I think Iron is wrong in making this stance for a few quid.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2013, 03:55:21 PM »

Why do people mention a worry for my parents ? 

Without a blue badge I can't park anywhere, without a blue badge an able bodied driver parks in any car park he wants . Yes some charge some don't.  I just want equal rights to be able to park. Reason badge holders get to park on some yellow lines is to make up for lack of accessable parking . But parking on yellow lines for a wheelchair using driver is like playing Russian roulette with the traffic

Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2013, 03:59:27 PM »

It's  not the money I am complaining about it's the principle , it might be £20 this year but just like when other charges came into effect that price will go up once they get people used to paying for it.

In Scotland all hospital parking is free but if I need to go to hospital I need to pay £20 for a blue badge

celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2013, 04:38:11 PM »

The reason I mention your parents is because you live with your parents. You are registered at your parents. Any bailiffs wanting to find you, can and will turn up at your parents.

No one is agreeing with you really. That should tell you all you need to know.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: