blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 09, 2024, 07:05:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272930 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Gary Jones / poker godfather
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gary Jones / poker godfather  (Read 7397 times)
AdamM

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2005, 02:12:30 PM »

I've seen a couple of his poker godfather appearences and have noted the lrge number of minimum raises he makes. At first I thought he was giving some pretty poor advice but last night he did seem to be having quite a bit of success with them. I hardly ever min raise, how are other people using the move?
owner

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 02:30:21 PM »

Adam, I've not seen it.  Why is he doing it ?  To build a pot or some other reason.
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 02:46:56 PM »

sometimes he's doing it with a big hand to build, sometimes he's doing it on the button to steal. I think a lot of his game is very similar to mine with the exception of this frequent minimum raising.
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 03:23:12 PM »

I think it's a good tactic late on when blinds are big, but a poor strategy early on when more people can afford to call.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 03:36:59 PM »

I think it's a good tactic late on when blinds are big, but a poor strategy early on when more people can afford to call.

I think Gary Jones comes across as a smart guy. Is the min raise a typical cash game strategy? this is what he mostly plays

Poker Godfather wise, I think ActionJack Jackson's episodes are extremely informative. I can see why he's the nuts on Ladbrokes

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 03:53:34 PM »

definitely, paul jackson is outstanding on the show.
I think you might be on the mark with it being from cash games. perhaps it's getting through more because it's $100 rebuy rather than a $20 freeze. if it were a smaller buy in comp I feel sure he'd get a caller more often.
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 03:57:27 PM »

I'm not so sure - at the lower levels some people don't consider pot odds (i.e. a raise is a raise) and it seems to work fairly well. Harrington reccomends doing it in STTs in his book.

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005, 04:11:30 PM »

Difference is that in the early stages he was only doing it with big hands, so an inferior call would be welcomed.

For example, in 1 of his episodes, he min raised kings when the blinds were 15 and 30. There were several callers. Personally, I can't see the point of this and believe it to be a missed opportunity to get some chips.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2005, 04:15:07 PM »

For example, in 1 of his episodes, he min raised kings when the blinds were 15 and 30. There were several callers. Personally, I can't see the point of this and believe it to be a missed opportunity to get some chips.

yes, this seems odd, why would you want multiple callers here when any sort of rubbish such as A rag can hit an A on the flop or a suited connector can hit?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2005, 04:16:34 PM »

He said it was because he didn't want to commit any chips at an early stage, but I think it's a waste of an opportunity to double up.
I KNOW IT

I'm the one the right ;)

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2005, 05:43:34 PM »

If you ever speak to Paul Maxfield, ask him about this subject of min raising.
He always tells me that Europeans commit to much of their stack when raising.
He likes to follow the American way, e.g 400 with 600  rather than 400 with 1000.
If you ever seen his heat in BPO on the poker ch , you will see him put into practise what he preaches.

In March a couple of pals came to stay with me from the USA, to play at the Victoria Poker Classic.
They were suprised at how agressive the European game was, noting that a lot of players over commited their chips,unable to release even when they thought they were behind , because of the amount of chips they had put in the pot

You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them." "Heart is what separates the good from the great. '

"All money is good, just the quantity makes it better"
      My Dad

"Poker Players and Vultures are alike. They both live off the flesh of the weak"
         Tony Bolto
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2005, 05:48:25 PM »

I totaly agree with Paul on this, mind you, do you think he would give a toss if i didnt?

The older I get, the better I was.
I KNOW IT

I'm the one the right ;)

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2005, 06:19:03 PM »

Hi Red Dog, just thought Id give a little imput on this topic, as Paul has been kind to share some of his info that hes picked up from playing in the States.
Every trip he makes he swears he learned something new,he tells me the game is for ever changing and he will have to make adjustments to keep up.
Doesnt seem to be doing to bad though as it is

You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them." "Heart is what separates the good from the great. '

"All money is good, just the quantity makes it better"
      My Dad

"Poker Players and Vultures are alike. They both live off the flesh of the weak"
         Tony Bolto
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2005, 06:23:02 PM »

Mad Max must be doing something right.

I noticed in the last tourney report they spelled his name right almost half the time !

I was impressed.

Wink

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2005, 07:35:49 PM »

Good players can get away with minimum raising because they play very well post-flop.  I've often seen inexperienced (and some experienced) players get into difficulty after minimum raising because they haven't defined their hand and can't work out whether an opponents apparent strength is genuine or due to there weakness preflop.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: