blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:41:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  HUNL Veteran getting back on track in 2014!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: HUNL Veteran getting back on track in 2014!  (Read 49584 times)
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2014, 04:32:33 PM »

I think we win at showdown very infrequently on river with ace high in his spot. But there could be a lot of merit to c/c on the turn after the flop c/r with the NFD - ducy? Smiley

ahhh, funs Smiley Because our opponent (I'm talking as the flop check-raiser here) has a great deal more 9x in his range than we do - assuming we don't have the dynamic where c/r   is credible (making it a pretty bad spot to bluff) + his flop calling range that is non-boat OTT is made up almost entirely of smaller FD's and pocket-pairs, the pocket pairs will frequently check back and his betting range is boats/smaller FD's meaning Ace high flush draw is an ideal bluff catcher with a little implied odds vs a smaller FD and strong equity vs his pot controls as well ( 11-15 outs vs most pocket pairs.

*I never play NLHE Sad

RogerHairabedian

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2014, 04:52:08 PM »

I think we win at showdown very infrequently on river with ace high in his spot. But there could be a lot of merit to c/c on the turn after the flop c/r with the NFD - ducy? Smiley

ahhh, funs Smiley Because our opponent (I'm talking as the flop check-raiser here) has a great deal more 9x in his range than we do - assuming we don't have the dynamic where c/r   is credible (making it a pretty bad spot to bluff) + his flop calling range that is non-boat OTT is made up almost entirely of smaller FD's and pocket-pairs, the pocket pairs will frequently check back and his betting range is boats/smaller FD's meaning Ace high flush draw is an ideal bluff catcher with a little implied odds vs a smaller FD and strong equity vs his pot controls as well ( 11-15 outs vs most pocket pairs.

*I never play NLHE Sad

rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2014, 05:01:37 PM »

Is it possible to defend too wide vs a minraise?

I could go into a lot of depth on this subject but I don't wanna get too strat orientated ITT.

I assume you've seen/heard about Sauce defending 95% or something from the BB vs top HS guys opening 100%. I want a pretty big edge on my opponent to be able to do that postflop for several reasons - reverse implied odds, being oop, being capped on certain boards etc.

My answer would be yes you can defend too wide but only because you probably aren't adjusting well enough postflop. It uses a lot of energy defending say 85%+ from the big blind as you're constantly in difficult spots with weak hands, being forced to bluff with the bottom of your range etc.

Good post. I've seen it at the high stakes and it seems to have come about more in the hypers too. I love the phrase about it using a lot of energy.

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
shipitgood

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2014, 11:24:52 PM »

Cheers Rog and everyone,

Apologies for derailing your thread for a bit!

Gl with the HU grind!
RogerHairabedian

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2014, 12:47:13 AM »

Is it possible to defend too wide vs a minraise?

I could go into a lot of depth on this subject but I don't wanna get too strat orientated ITT.

I assume you've seen/heard about Sauce defending 95% or something from the BB vs top HS guys opening 100%. I want a pretty big edge on my opponent to be able to do that postflop for several reasons - reverse implied odds, being oop, being capped on certain boards etc.

My answer would be yes you can defend too wide but only because you probably aren't adjusting well enough postflop. It uses a lot of energy defending say 85%+ from the big blind as you're constantly in difficult spots with weak hands, being forced to bluff with the bottom of your range etc.

Good post. I've seen it at the high stakes and it seems to have come about more in the hypers too. I love the phrase about it using a lot of energy.

Playing high quality poker is strenuous, both mentally and physically. Playing more hands oop vs good players = difficult. Simple as that. If you are looking to improve HU it's a great way to improve postflop skills but you'll probably find yourself bleeding money in simple postflop pots until you adjust correctly (which certainly isn't easy)
RogerHairabedian

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2014, 12:54:25 AM »

Cheers Rog and everyone,

Apologies for derailing your thread for a bit!

Gl with the HU grind!

Thanks, enjoying the questions. I'm happy to help out when I have time. Good luck to you too!

Booked a consultation for laser eye Surgery in Feb this morning. Have worn glasses for the last 5/6 years and am getting pretty tired of them. It's not cheap but the hassle of no contact lenses for sport etc would also be nice. Went to Optical Express last year and was approved the surgery but declined after reading some pretty horrific reviews on the net so going for the London Vision Clinic on Harley street. Slightly pricier but fuck it, if something were to go wrong with the surgery I'd never forgive myself for being a cheap skate!

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2014, 01:32:18 PM »

So the start of the year has been disappointing results wise. Very happy with how I've played and my mindset so reasonably satisfied.

Planning some live trips for later in the year. Hoping to go to 2/3 EPTs -prob Vienna and San Remo, maybe Deauville (place seems pretty bad), Vegas and then some smaller stuff like this Sky thing at DTD.

Funnily enough i've never been to DTD despite living not too far away. Heard pretty good things and this forum seems to be filled with stories from there so feel I've been missing out... What cash games run regularly there? And how are the line ups?  Will be playing the £1k, £500 HU and the £3k hi-roller (depending on numbers) at this Sky thing, should be fun.

Hope everyone's year has started well and any new years resolutions are being stuck to!

In which case, you may be interested to know that I met with Rob Yong & Simon Plumper yesterday, & subject to a few minor details which we should sort today, it is hoped that the High Roller will have a £150,000 Guarantee. It may, however, permit a single re-entry.

I look forward to seeing you at UKPC week in February. We think we have 150 players in the Lobby already, which, with a month still to go, is pretty good I would suggest. 

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RogerHairabedian

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2014, 03:20:54 PM »

So the start of the year has been disappointing results wise. Very happy with how I've played and my mindset so reasonably satisfied.

Planning some live trips for later in the year. Hoping to go to 2/3 EPTs -prob Vienna and San Remo, maybe Deauville (place seems pretty bad), Vegas and then some smaller stuff like this Sky thing at DTD.

Funnily enough i've never been to DTD despite living not too far away. Heard pretty good things and this forum seems to be filled with stories from there so feel I've been missing out... What cash games run regularly there? And how are the line ups?  Will be playing the £1k, £500 HU and the £3k hi-roller (depending on numbers) at this Sky thing, should be fun.

Hope everyone's year has started well and any new years resolutions are being stuck to!

In which case, you may be interested to know that I met with Rob Yong & Simon Plumper yesterday, & subject to a few minor details which we should sort today, it is hoped that the High Roller will have a £150,000 Guarantee. It may, however, permit a single re-entry.

I look forward to seeing you at UKPC week in February. We think we have 150 players in the Lobby already, which, with a month still to go, is pretty good I would suggest. 

Ah excellent. Count me in then.

Decided to go to Deauville for EPT next week, will be playing the main and some sides. Should be a nice break from the online grind although I must admit not the biggest fan of France.
Mondeoman

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2014, 06:26:08 PM »

When I read your opening post I had to check twice that I hadn't written it myself.  Had a very similar past few years playing similar games and similar stakes. 
I definitely found last year tougher than previous ones, the standard in general IMO seems to have improved somewhat. 
I also really struggle to get through books! (been stuck on Shantaram for about a year now)

What are your views on game theory optimal play?  I've never really studied it much but all the players I respect the most (Haxton/Kanu/Sauce) seem to be big advocates of it.
I'm currently remodeling some of my game to be more in line with this fundamental theory.  In my view a lot more players at medium/higher stakes are implementing this strategy and leaks are becoming more difficult to find.

Finally claiming you're a veteran at 25 depresses me somewhat!
RogerHairabedian

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2014, 08:19:44 PM »

When I read your opening post I had to check twice that I hadn't written it myself.  Had a very similar past few years playing similar games and similar stakes. 
I definitely found last year tougher than previous ones, the standard in general IMO seems to have improved somewhat. 
I also really struggle to get through books! (been stuck on Shantaram for about a year now)

What are your views on game theory optimal play?  I've never really studied it much but all the players I respect the most (Haxton/Kanu/Sauce) seem to be big advocates of it.
I'm currently remodeling some of my game to be more in line with this fundamental theory.  In my view a lot more players at medium/higher stakes are implementing this strategy and leaks are becoming more difficult to find.

Finally claiming you're a veteran at 25 depresses me somewhat!

25 is pretty old by today's standards!

Personally, an understanding of GTO is quite crucial. Implementing the actually strategy yourself is very difficult however, so I tend to focus on playing exploitatively myself. Try searching some threads on 2+2 and railing some of the big guns, to work out what they are doing (and why obv).

Perhaps we've played? More than likely to have done.
RogerHairabedian

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2014, 08:58:35 PM »

First hand history of this thread!

BB: $818.50 (81.9 bb)
Hero (SB): $2,097 (209.7 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with
Hero raises to $1,228, BB calls $808.50 and is all-in

Flop: ($1,637) (2 players, 1 is all-in)
Turn: ($1,637) (2 players, 1 is all-in)
River: ($1,637) (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results: $1,637 pot ($1 rake)
Final Board:
BB showed and lost (-$818.50 net)
Hero showed and won $1,636 ($817.50 net)

#runninggoodwithmisclicks
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2014, 12:41:41 AM »

what were you trying to raise to!?

RogerHairabedian

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2014, 09:23:07 AM »

Just a min raise. Had action on other sites and somehow managed to jam. I hardly ever misclick, so was nice to be rewarded  Grin

Do you mainly play plo SuuPRlim? Will try and post some PLO hands to keep you entertained if so! PLO game has improved a lot in the last few months but still my weaker game.
CHIPPYMAN

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2014, 10:54:22 AM »

Just a min raise. Had action on other sites and somehow managed to jam. I hardly ever misclick, so was nice to be rewarded  Grin

Do you mainly play plo SuuPRlim? Will try and post some PLO hands to keep you entertained if so! PLO game has improved a lot in the last few months but still my weaker game.

Lil Dave is one of the best PLO players in the country . He actually smashed the Ipoker network . By the way what's your name ? May be we know each other . :-)
JK

Probably the worst player here

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2014, 10:58:35 AM »

Really enjoying this thread. Will definitely keep up with it
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: