blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:57:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  advice on stats!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: advice on stats!  (Read 821 times)
LXVIII
Probation

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2014, 08:06:51 AM »

I have never really taken pokerstars seriously as I have only ever played for fun/when I'm bored, but now I have a lot more free time on my hands I'm keen to start playing some more hands. The only problem I'm stuck with is the fact for the past few years whenever I have played, I haven't ever grinded it out.. I have either won a little and cashed it or lost a lot through running deep in a tourney for hours.. min cashing and then tilting my small roll whatever it may be.
Long story short, now I have more time I want to start grinding MTT's. I have had a fair few cashes live and been fairly successful in the £100+ tournament's I have played including a couple at DTD including the 150 six max! Any advice on how to get my stats back up to scratch in order for me to try and find a small backer, without the obvious.. play thousands more hands. I just feel that my 'fun' approach to stars in the past will put a bad light on the fact that I can actually play but have never really grinded a roll online before.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

LXVIII
LXVIII
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 08:19:27 AM »

my 2012 MTT figures we're - 

Rating              Rank                ITM        Games     Profit / Average 
2012:  84.38% 147,186 of 942,835  10 / 8.70%    115       $89.06 / $0.77

my overall figures are a lot worse because of my incredible nack to waste everything once I'd ran deep and not finished 1st! this is why I want to get back on track and find a backer so I can take it seriously and start to earn some extra $$$!
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 03:50:07 PM »

I'm sorry noone else has replied to this yet, I've only just seen it!

I would strongly advise you to get on the PHA section of this forum with hands you aren't sure about. There is a vast amount of experience hanging around blonde from pretty much every area of the game, who are more than willing to share their knowledge with you. Also, if you haven't already, grab yourself a HUD and learn how to use it. More than anything, it will help you to identify the situations where you have leaks, and by asking people around here we can start to correct them. Reviewing is so important, and if you want to take poker as a serious way of making money, studying is very important. As daunting as that may sound, it's actually very rewarding and can be a lot of fun.

I don't know how many comps/tournaments you've played, but I do think it's worth explaining the reason behind some of the "play loads more hands" comments, despite them often being very badly worded. Basically, variance. It's perfectly possible for a winning player to be losing over 150,000 hands (even a player who is completely crushing the stake he's playing at) and similarly, it's possible for a losing player to appear to be crushing by winning the lot over like 50k hands. The more you play, the more this variance evens out, and the more information can be gleaned about your tendencies and potential areas for improvement, as well as a more realistic idea of how good you are. I, for example (as primarily a cash player) will need to play over 200,000 hands to be 95% likely to be winning at the end.

Bankroll management is also very important for a lot of reasons, but partly to help balance your emotional state. Tilting just happens, dealing with it is very difficult and very important, but if you're starting with a small bankroll and tilting it off after a mincash (I like mincashes :p) then something is going badly wrong, either with your mentality or with the stakes you're playing, or both. Look up some stuff, be a nit, win money, good luck at the tables Smiley

humour is very much encouraged, however theres humour and theres not.
I disrepectfully agree with Matt Smiley
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: