blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:55:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Moyes lead news story?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Moyes lead news story?  (Read 1210 times)
gouty

View Profile
« on: April 22, 2014, 08:55:54 PM »

This is a pretty cool snapshot of the UK in this age.

It's been non stop all day. They are wheeling any old tosser who wants to talk about it ffs.

Enough.
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 08:57:55 PM »

The other day the lead story was Peaches Geldof death.

Undeniably sad, but the lead story? No.

Part of the reason I dnt bother with traditional news these days.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 10:21:31 PM »

I'm surprised you're surprised to be honest, plenty less significant stories have occupied more media attention, and will do in the future.

Just like mulhuzz, I am trying to wean myself off traditional news for this reason.
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 01:31:48 AM »

Not that I agree with the way the headlines work, but there is obviously a very good reason for it. Most papers exist for profit, since those media outlets are profit making organisations, primarily. A lot of the news that is reported as fact actually isnt verified in any way, but an attempt to get the story out first and with the highest level of detail. And the fact is, most people don't read the paper cover to cover. Most of the people that buy it will skip to favorite sections and skim them until they find something they're actually interested in. So, the front page story is all about selling papers, and all about appealing to the bulk of the people that will buy them. Moyes is front page news because most people who buy those papers at least loosely follow football, and would know the name David Moyes and the name Manchester United. If nothing particularly spectacular has happened on that day, then that story will definitely be the one most people are interested in reading, or at least skimming.

The reason they're trying to get all these opinions is because they're looking for a unique angle, some sort of insight into the process to provide something the other papers can't. Anyone with a name people will recognize. And I'm not going to lie, but Moyes getting sacked and Peaches dying are stories that feel closer to me than another bombing in Iraq, because they're things I can identify with a little more. They're more human, more personal, and I'm more likely to spend time reading them. I'm pretty sure most of the people itt, and viewing the thread, will have read the Moyes story.

I don't actually think it's particularly sad, either. The masses are always going to be interested in things they can identify with, and really it's the papers' jobs to react to that. And there are always going to be stories that are more "news" based, rather than tabloid journalism, because there are still, and always will be, enough people who want to keep up with what's going on in the world.

humour is very much encouraged, however theres humour and theres not.
I disrepectfully agree with Matt Smiley
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 07:56:54 AM »

Didn't he have a 6 year contract?

What happens to that?

The older I get, the better I was.
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 08:36:36 AM »

one would assume, as with any senior MD role in a multi-million pound business, there were minimum performance indicators that will make dismissal perfectly in line with the contracts terms.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 08:39:22 AM »

Didn't he have a 6 year contract?

What happens to that?

I don't know the specifics - nobody except the parties involved do - but I would imagine it has a 2 year compensation clause built into the Contract.

Generally, a reported "6 year contract" for a Football Manager is not quite what it seems, (or, more correctly, what is reported), it will likely be a 2 year deal with options to extend or terminate, with agreed termination fees.

He'll probably end up, after fees to Agents & Legal peeps, with £5 million net by way of compensation, in addition to the year's salary he has already earned.

Not bad I suppose, but he's had to put up with dreadful character assassination, especially in the Media & on Facebook & Twitter. I saw "Fuck off, & take fellaini with you, you fucking tosser" on Twitter yesterday, from some serial abuser who is not fit to clean Moyes shoes.   

He is a decent hard-working man, & I find the general villification of him as a rather unpleasant comment on society. Most of us would give our right arm to be as successful & talented as he is. 

Oops, bit of a mini-rant there.

As you were.....

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 08:57:18 AM »

the terms of his contract, reported in multiple places, paid him 12 months on termination, c £4.5m

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
BorntoBubble

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 04:44:46 PM »

the terms of his contract, reported in multiple places, paid him 12 months on termination, c £4.5m

so in manchester united terms. One home games profit which is pretty crazy

"ace high"

http://plascolwyn.co.uk/ - 9 Bed Self Catering Holiday let in Snowdonia, North Wales Pm for more details.

Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CalMorgan7
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: