blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:31:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  House Buying/Selling & Sealed Bids
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: House Buying/Selling & Sealed Bids  (Read 4018 times)
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2014, 07:08:15 PM »

This is the norm in Scotland isn't it?  I'd hate to buy a house there.  Seems the asking price is a really low minimum and bid go for about 50% more.

Unless something has changed recently this couldn't be further from the case.

We work on an offer and acceptance basis that once agreed should be binding which should remove opportunities for gazumping or whatever you call it. Think it is more the other way around i would hate to buy a house in England (even ignoring the fact that it would be in England  Wink )

Oh, probably should have watched the start of that Location Location program Cheesy  That does sound better.

pokerplayingfarmer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 09:59:15 PM »

Sealed bids or 'private tender' is nowadays very much the norm for selling agricultural land/property.  Nothing ever sells leaving people thinking it went cheap.

I've never got it.....ever
blueace

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2014, 08:51:47 AM »

In my experience this practise is the direct result of a low supply market/high demand property, the behaviour of the public and the laws of the land. Agents aren't keen on this system but constant gazumping and re gaaumping lead by desperate buyers and greedy sellers leads no alternative. It's a sign of a low supply market. As usual blame the agent tho!

Example seller accepts offer of asking price, buyer instructs solicitor. Mr c who viewed a week prior decides he wants it and offers 10k over asking. Seller accepts. Original buyer goes 15k over. 3 weeks down the line mr c is back with 20k more, then a new buyer, mr d with 22k. Agent would have been happy to have sale complete to original buyer by now but has now wasted 20 hours dealing with disgruntled buyers... Form an orderly line with your highest bids....
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 09:05:40 AM by blueace » Logged
Jamier-Host

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2014, 09:18:43 AM »

But by "winning" a sealed bid still doesn't make it binding does it?

Side Project - making games for Amazon Alexa devices

pressthe8.com
blueace

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2014, 09:42:52 AM »

But by "winning" a sealed bid still doesn't make it binding does it?

No, under English law the deal is not done until legal exchange of contracts, and yes someone could in theory come back with an even higher offer down the line (this happens).
However by the time you get to sealed bids most people are fed up with the process they have inadvertently initiated (save perhaps the seller) and some pull out.

I ought to add that if you see sealed bids in other circumstances  (and not the usual agri or dilapidated) it will be because the client requested it for some reason, perhaps probate or for the quicker sale element.

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2014, 11:14:26 AM »

For some reason, I feel like this story belongs here.

http://www.celebuzz.com/photos/seal-buys-6-million-brentwood-home/seal-brentwood-home-6/

The older I get, the better I was.
Jamier-Host

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2014, 02:53:06 PM »

Smiley

pressthe8.com
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2014, 10:30:51 PM »

Probably slightly off topic but I work in Mortgage Underwriting and I would absolutely hate to be applying for a mortgage at this moment in time.  Most of the companies have already adopted the MRP policies and applied this to their affordability calculators for those that haven't they will do so on the 26th of April.  I predict that gone are the days of even 90/80 % mortgages.  It all doesn't make sense, but due to a few bad apples and bad lending practices the majority are going to suffer. 

There are questions now being asked before that previously we wouldn't have bothered with, we would have made guesstimates base on mass data gathered over years but now we are looking into things in so much detail.  I normally have a nice easy job, I really can't complain I go in I do a 7hr shift, I get a good wage and leave.  But this last 2 weeks have been the most testing I have had because although I can look at individual cases and take a holistic approach too many of them there are some I look at and think I can see the merits of this but due to the new rules we are finding it impossible to make it fit affordability. 

A classic example of this was last week on 11th of April prior to my company introducing MRP on the 14th we looed at a case offered a broker £69,600 for his clients (not a lot in the grand scheme of things, they were putting up a 27% deposit so relatively low risk to us)  Broker was unable to give us an answer as had to speak with his clients as they were originally looking for £84,000.  When the broker comes back to us on the Monday we now need to underwrite the application based on the new rules its re-scored and the only difference we made was to add in £90 per month travel costs (blatant lie imo, no chance were they only paying this but whatever)  this £90 deduction reduced the maximum available loan to just over £45,000.  Sickening result for all concerned.  Our daiy volumes are around £100 - £120 million a day, we were targetting £200 million a day for July.  I'd say in the last week your luck if we underwrote £200 million in total. 

willrobrobu

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2014, 04:30:06 AM »

bought a house recently in bristol. through the process the worst experiences were
1. sealed bid sales - came across a few of these, only got involved in one, it ended up going for 14k over asking price which was ridiculous really. our offer was 3k over asking price.
2 open days - where they make everyone view the property at the same time.

both these tactics are pretty rancid estate agent led ways of minimising work, increasing competition and inflating prices
Jamier-Host

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2014, 08:31:33 AM »

both these tactics are pretty rancid estate agent led ways of minimising work, increasing competition and inflating prices

Exactly what you want if you're selling then! Smiley

pressthe8.com
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: