blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:13:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272534 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  AKo on the BTN
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AKo on the BTN  (Read 1380 times)
Lawro74

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2014, 12:07:05 PM »

£110 Buy In tourney

Blind 200/400 50 Ante

Villain 21k
Hero 36k

Villain raises 1600 after 2 limps
Hero 3bets 5200 (after reflection I hate my sizing) would have preferred something more like 3900-4100ish

Villain tanks for about a minute and shoves

I call...no A or K & I'm crippled

Opinions please??
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 12:11:18 PM by Lawro74 » Logged
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 12:14:18 PM »

You'd still have 50bb left if you lost!

Idk seems ok to me, although I think with 50bb people might be a lot tighter with this shove, doubt people show up with AQ so it's usually a flip or maybe worse...

Are you IP? Flatting the 1600 can be cool because there is a lot of dominated Aces and Kings out there (AJ, KQ etc) and my experience of these comps is you'll do pretty well postflop on the right boards against those hands.

Raising can't really be a mistake though, calling the shove after the 3bet can't really be either 15k to win 44~

Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 01:04:53 PM »

Hmm... Well, I like raising tbh. We're in position, with a very good hand that dominates a whole bunch of stuff villain can be raising with and can even call with, and I'd rather raise and try to take the pot heads up with this hand rather than call and see a flop 4/5 ways. If I'm in position, I do make it smaller, to encourage calls from those hands that we dominate. After all, even if we do get called and miss, we've still ended up playing a bloated pot, heads up, in position and with the betting lead, which is always a winning situation for us.

As it is, I'm with Dave here. Calling can't be bad, and we're hardly crippled, still got loads of play left. We're flipping a reasonable amount of the time, ahead sometimes, way behind rarely, and we're absolutely fine to take these odds here. The fact that there is no A or K on the board by the river is irrelevant, what's important is that we've made decisions that will win for us in the long run. I mean, player dependant you can fold, but since we haven't been given any reads I'm sorta assuming there's nothing special about the villain to make us want to.

humour is very much encouraged, however theres humour and theres not.
I disrepectfully agree with Matt Smiley
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 01:06:21 PM »

Are you IP?

Hero is otb Smiley

Lawro74

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 01:07:33 PM »

You'd still have 50BB left if you lost!

Idk seems OK to me, although I think with 50BB people might be a lot tighter with this shove, doubt people show up with AQ so it's usually a flip or maybe worse...

Are you IP? Flatting the 1600 can be cool because there is a lot of dominated Aces and Kings out there (AJ, KQ etc) and my experience of these comps is you'll do pretty well postflop on the right boards against those hands.

Raising can't really be a mistake though, calling the shove after the 3bet can't really be either 15k to win 44~

Don't really like to flat as I feel I'm losing value because if an A flops he may well shut down with any pair or KQ type hand...got to admit I hate AK...so over rated lol on reflection hated calling but with almost 3/1 pot odds felt I had no choice :-(
Lawro74

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 01:11:18 PM »

Hmm... Well, I like raising tbh. We're in position, with a very good hand that dominates a whole bunch of stuff villain can be raising with and can even call with, and I'd rather raise and try to take the pot heads up with this hand rather than call and see a flop 4/5 ways. If I'm in position, I do make it smaller, to encourage calls from those hands that we dominate. After all, even if we do get called and miss, we've still ended up playing a bloated pot, heads up, in position and with the betting lead, which is always a winning situation for us.

As it is, I'm with Dave here. Calling can't be bad, and we're hardly crippled, still got loads of play left. We're flipping a reasonable amount of the time, ahead sometimes, way behind rarely, and we're absolutely fine to take these odds here. The fact that there is no A or K on the board by the river is irrelevant, what's important is that we've made decisions that will win for us in the long run. I mean, player dependant you can fold, but since we haven't been given any reads I'm sorta assuming there's nothing special about the villain to make us want to.

Totally agree...think I just hate losing ha ha

The guy was limp calling quite often and also noticed he liked to raise AJ type hands after early limps so felt my AK plays well Vs his range
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 01:13:21 PM »

You'd still have 50BB left if you lost!

Idk seems OK to me, although I think with 50BB people might be a lot tighter with this shove, doubt people show up with AQ so it's usually a flip or maybe worse...

Don't really like to flat as I feel I'm losing value because if an A flops he may well shut down with any pair or KQ type hand...got to admit I hate AK...so over rated lol on reflection hated calling but with almost 3/1 pot odds felt I had no choice :-(

Actually not necessarily, there's a fair chance that raising here (especially too big) will push out all of his Ax hands apart from the really good ones. So, we lose value from these hands if an A flops. It's worth pointing out that we don't flop an A all that often, so making a decision based on something that will only occasionally happen doesn't necessarily make it the right play. What we want to look for is what will make us the most chips in the long run, on every run out.

Nothing wrong with AK though, it's a good hand :p Having these sorts of feelings about individual hands can lead you to making mistakes, like raising bigger than you would normally because you don't want to play the hand any longer than you would do normally. Best to try and get these thoughts out of your head, as they will hamper your ability to win Smiley

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 02:15:32 PM »

My experience is that people who have the betting lead before the flop continue on ACE-HIGH boards very, very often, also you might drag the blinds in with A7 or K9 kinda hands which will be an excellent spot for you post-flop.  Also, if you re-raise pre-flop, he calls with a KQ type hand and it flops A x x then he's going to check/fold most of the time anyway so you get pretty much the same number of bets in those two scenarios.

Also, there is a decent chance that re-raising to call off pre-flop isolates you entirely against the very best hands he has (he folds AQ, goes alll-in with KK etc) whereas as we said calling would keep a lot of dominated hands involved.

That being said I think re-raising before the flop and calling off (how you playe it) is likely the best play he is also still fairly likely to call with a lot of the hands we've mentioned so there is a serious amount of value to 3betting - IIRC about these comps people tend to be pretty sticky before the flop, I think you'll get called by a worse hand much more often than you'll be shoved on by a better one. folding to the all-in is something you could consider but I think you'dd need to be pretty sure he is extremely tight, like you say getting a very good price and against a range that likely includes JJ, QQ and AK I think we should prolly just call and hope for the best.

I think though that you should consider that the initial re-raise might have been an error (even though I am fairly sure it wasn't in this situation) I think with a couple of very small changes to this scenario it very well could have been.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: