blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:47:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272619 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  moorman1 Wins 24th PocketFives Triple Crown
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: moorman1 Wins 24th PocketFives Triple Crown  (Read 35207 times)
dreenie

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 22, 2014, 03:41:53 AM »

I'm also a huge Chris Moorman fan (genuinely), but anyone wondering why he isn't sponsored probably only needs to check this thread. I think I've written more on a post-it note.

This post seems more than slightly unreasonable to me and perhaps even more unnecessary.

Chris has never been a prolific blonde poster and that has been less so over the years with his online and live commitments combined with his travel schedule. He has however done an 'In the well' on blonde.

I've only spoken to Chris a few times and he's always come off as a very well meaning guy irl and I've never heard anything of the contrary from anyone in poker when Chris's name has come up which is very rare these days.

This thread was created by Tighty and someone messaged Chris to let him know it existed. He took the time to come and answer questions and I was pleased at his honest responses, particularly with regard to his stable as it always intrigued me that everyone I talked to a while back was backed by Moor. He also came back 5/6 days later to reply to some more posts.

He hasn't done the hard sell at all on here with his book. He could have definitely done that if he wanted and blonde would have supported him but that's seemingly not his style and fair play for that.

Maybe he is someone that doesn't want limelight and a sponsorship deal. Maybe he is someone who hasn't been offered one because he doesn't thrive under media spotlight. Who knows? I don't recall him mentioning that he was upset because he doesn't have a deal somewhere. Reputation wise there are few who are more deserving and I think to the Blonde community, that matters most.

Best post by far.
dreenie

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 22, 2014, 03:48:03 AM »

What % of the game do u think makes up of you being emotionally stable and not letting anything get to you personally in order to win consistently over just pure knowledge of the game itself?

Do u believe people can still win if they are playing lower table count without HEM/poker tracker or is all this stuff a must use nowadays?

How long did you go before you bought this software? And do u find it critical to have it when playing your schedule night in night out?

Gl and defo want a copy!
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: October 22, 2014, 09:54:01 AM »

I'm also a huge Chris Moorman fan (genuinely), but anyone wondering why he isn't sponsored probably only needs to check this thread. I think I've written more on a post-it note.

This post seems more than slightly unreasonable to me and perhaps even more unnecessary.

Chris has never been a prolific blonde poster and that has been less so over the years with his online and live commitments combined with his travel schedule. He has however done an 'In the well' on blonde.

I've only spoken to Chris a few times and he's always come off as a very well meaning guy irl and I've never heard anything of the contrary from anyone in poker when Chris's name has come up which is very rare these days.

This thread was created by Tighty and someone messaged Chris to let him know it existed. He took the time to come and answer questions and I was pleased at his honest responses, particularly with regard to his stable as it always intrigued me that everyone I talked to a while back was backed by Moor. He also came back 5/6 days later to reply to some more posts.

He hasn't done the hard sell at all on here with his book. He could have definitely done that if he wanted and blonde would have supported him but that's seemingly not his style and fair play for that.

Maybe he is someone that doesn't want limelight and a sponsorship deal. Maybe he is someone who hasn't been offered one because he doesn't thrive under media spotlight. Who knows? I don't recall him mentioning that he was upset because he doesn't have a deal somewhere. Reputation wise there are few who are more deserving and I think to the Blonde community, that matters most.

Best post by far.

Just to repeat. Cos and I actually agree on this. I just worded my post badly in a (failed) attempt to try and look witty.
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: October 22, 2014, 09:58:36 AM »

FWIW as someone who has worked in poker media for over 10 years now I think there is an awful lot of b****cks talked about player's having a duty to promote the game. Absolute crap. They have no duty to us whatsoever, and I am and was always grateful for players taking the time to talk to me. Even the sponsored ones. Their duty is still not to the media, it's to their sponsors.

This does not apply to Chris if he is not sponsored, but I would have thought these two things were aligned?

If I owned a Poker Site & employed a Pro, I would expect him to be all over the Poker Media trying to raise the profile of my site.

Sure, but that in that case means their obligation are still to the site and not to the media. If they don't want to do an interview and the sponsor is happy then that's that.

Well yes, but I cannot imagine the Sponsoring Site would NOT want their Site Pro to do media stuff. That's a significant reason for sponsoring them, I'd have thought.

You are right as to who they are serving though, their first obligation is to the Site, not the media, but I would really think the 2 things are much the same. You serve the site best by being accessible to the Media. That's the key to recreational sign-ups.

We don't disagree on this. You're dead right.

I'm just saying poker websites/magazines/TV shows/whatever shouldn't feel they are entitled to anything just because a player is sponsored. The two things are not directly connected.

I have never understood why the holy grail for many poker players is to be sponsored.

Surely we all play this game to avoid responsibilities and do exactly as we please?

Why give up the freedom we enjoy to be at the beck and call of a poker site?

Sure I understand why skint members, losers and break even players would love to be sponsored.

But for people like Chris, surely the aim is to win enough NOT to sponsored?

On a theoretical level I agree with you. I think it's nuts.

In practice (from my limited experience of speaking to pros) I think a lot of them get quite unsettled by the variance and the lack of reliable income. They just want a steady stream of cash they can rely on I guess? First person to make that point to me was durrrr (clang) but he definitely wasn't the last.

Also I'm sure some, wrongly, see it as like winning a prize. Sort of like proof you are one of the best players.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: October 22, 2014, 11:32:57 AM »

I think a lot of them get a sense of personal satisfaction and validation from it too. We see professional sportspeople endorsing products and being sponsored, so it is entirely understandable why we equate poker sponsorship with that level of success. I imagine it really helps santise poker with their friends/family too.

Being a sponsored player is a lot of hard work these days (rightly so too), Keith is spot-on with it not being in tandem with what some pros are looking for out of life.
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 22, 2014, 01:20:03 PM »

I think a lot of them get a sense of personal satisfaction and validation from it too. We see professional sportspeople endorsing products and being sponsored, so it is entirely understandable why we equate poker sponsorship with that level of success. I imagine it really helps santise poker with their friends/family too.

Being a sponsored player is a lot of hard work these days (rightly so too), Keith is spot-on with it not being in tandem with what some pros are looking for out of life.

It's why I think poker awards are silly too.

Just because 183 people vote for you as "cash game player of the year" what does that actually mean?

Diddly squat.

Surely the only validation you need as a gambler is to look at your bank account and if you've got more money now than you did a year ago you are a success.

If you have less, then you are a failure.

I usually don't really care what people think of me as a gambler or a poker player. (I must admit I was slightly upset when Keys passed my staking thread for the WSOP main event at 1.5 to Mike McDonald for his Bank of Timex, but that was pretty much the only time)

I haven't had to have a proper job for 25 years (I chose to work for Blue Squirrel, it was the only job I've ever really wanted and I chose to leave), so although I've had plenty of lean years, that's all the personal satisfaction I need.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 22, 2014, 01:27:11 PM »

On reflection the reason Keys passing my thread to Timex upset me was the implication that I was using my status as a fairly popular poster on Blondepoker to screw money from people by selling at over inflated rate.

I don't care if Keys or Timex think it is ridiculous that I charged 1.5. They are entitled to their opinion.

I do care massively if they (or anyone else) think I was attempting to rip off stakers.

My intention when I make a staking proposal is to always offer a +ev package.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
reaper30

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 23, 2014, 08:24:04 PM »

Preordered a copy on Amazon and it says that it's due mid November!
Is that right? I thought it was out sooner than that?
bergeroo

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 24, 2014, 03:42:01 PM »

Moorman is legit entitled to bring out a book about how to play MTTs, unlike some other people who have done the same, as he has been at the top for many years.

Hope the book does really well and although I doubt how valuable books are these days as a training resource, I'm sure it will have lots of great nuggets of information in and be well worth the price.
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 26, 2014, 10:11:11 AM »

I have never understood why the holy grail for many poker players is to be sponsored.

Work out the hourly for being a sponsored pro when you're being put into live majors every couple of weeks and getting 100% rakeback online in return for a few interviews a few extra stops on the tour. Backers usually stipulate that they want ALL of a players action when they are being backed and often want their horses to only play whatever they are being backed for. With sponsorship from a site, said MTT pro can also grind cash games on the side with 100% rakeback which as you can imagine would be pretty lucrative.

Most of the guys with big sponsorship deals think the same as you Keith and the sites know this, so they make the price right, and everyone has a price whether they'd admit it or not. Chuck in most MTT pros having far less money than their OPRs suggest for a variety of reasons and thats why everyone wants a sponsorship deal.

Of course this was all much more applicable a few years ago. Sponsored pros are dropping like flies these days so I can't imagine the deals now are anything close to what they were in FTPs heyday.

As I said, I understand why the vast majority of players would take sponsorship in a flash.

But, for example, Phil Ivey.

He obviously hates being interviewed, doesn't like making videos or meeting the public.

And he definitely doesn't like being in a place at a specific time.

He must be wroth 10 million minimum, so why would would he put himself through all the stress and annoyance being sponsored involves just for a few extra quid?

If I make the November Nine I'm a million to accept sponsorship unless it simply involves wearing "Fat Bastard Poker" patch for the duration of the event.

You know PI was getting $900k a month from FTP right?!

dreenie

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 27, 2014, 01:28:44 AM »

Work out the hourly for being a sponsored pro when you're being put into live majors every couple of weeks and getting 100% rakeback online in return for a few interviews a few extra stops on the tour. Backers usually stipulate that they want ALL of a players action when they are being backed and often want their horses to only play whatever they are being backed for. With sponsorship from a site, said MTT pro can also grind cash games on the side with 100% rakeback which as you can imagine would be pretty lucrative.

Most of the guys with big sponsorship deals think the same as you Keith and the sites know this, so they make the price right, and everyone has a price whether they'd admit it or not. Chuck in most MTT pros having far less money than their OPRs suggest for a variety of reasons and thats why everyone wants a sponsorship deal.

Of course this was all much more applicable a few years ago. Sponsored pros are dropping like flies these days so I can't imagine the deals now are anything close to what they were in FTPs heyday.

As I said, I understand why the vast majority of players would take sponsorship in a flash.

But, for example, Phil Ivey.

He obviously hates being interviewed, doesn't like making videos or meeting the public.

And he definitely doesn't like being in a place at a specific time.

He must be wroth 10 million minimum, so why would would he put himself through all the stress and annoyance being sponsored involves just for a few extra quid?

If I make the November Nine I'm a million to accept sponsorship unless it simply involves wearing "Fat Bastard Poker" patch for the duration of the event.

You know PI was getting $900k a month from FTP right?!

Jesus Christ.  He is cako.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 29, 2014, 09:27:37 AM »

Jared Tendler's new podcast with Chris Mooman, for anyone interested

http://jaredtendlerpoker.com/radio-podcasts/the-mental-game-radio-show/interview-chris-moorman/

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: October 30, 2014, 01:19:26 AM »

love chris and known him a very long time in poker, think what he has achieved is fantastic and hope the book is a huge success. Would love him much much more if him or any of the other previous lock pro's could give any information on Jen Larsen, loads of us got royally screwed over and given its been 7 months since anyone got paid its 99% certain that money is worth bs. Any information on her/her wherabouts/contact details would be amazing.
DandB Poker
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 31, 2014, 04:03:03 PM »

Preordered a copy on Amazon and it says that it's due mid November!
Is that right? I thought it was out sooner than that?

The book arrived in our UK warehouse last week and has now shipped out to retailers. It should be available very soon - in the next few days.
reaper30

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 31, 2014, 06:12:20 PM »

Came home from work to a copy sitting on my doormat today 👍
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: