blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:29:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Stoke City FC
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 ... 31 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stoke City FC  (Read 102110 times)
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: February 02, 2017, 12:18:37 PM »

Went to the game last night to see the robot and Crouchy do his thing to get into the 100 club.  Charlie Adam was immense last night for Stoke.  Played like a poor man's Scholes last night.  Great to see him getting a run in the side with Crouchy.  All the tinkering Stoke have done recently with their team i don't think on their day we have better than Charlie and Crouchy.  They still can really do the business at this level.  Stoke should have sealed the game before Everton got their goal over turned by the ref.  I haven't seen the reply on TV so not entirely sure what the decision actually was.  Everton were poor first half but bossed the 2nd half.

Grant keeps doing the business in goal with Butland out.  Scary how good a season Stoke are having without their first choice keeper all season who was such a huge part of the team in previous years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Premier_League_players_with_100_or_more_goals

Some list to join.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 12:23:47 PM by arbboy » Logged
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 23, 2017, 09:07:32 PM »

Quite funny really, had to ask my son why they were booing Ramsey - can happily say I'm an Arsenal fan who doesn't give a second's thought to what happened 6 years ago and less than that to the irrelevant Stoke in general.

I was quite a fan of Nzonzi though

Big miss for me at Stoke.  Wonder if he regrets leaving now he looks at the new team and the EPL league table?

Really think he would've been perfect for Arsenal in a DM role.. athletic, skilful and could dig a bit too

After watching Nzonzi last night for Sevilla, more convinced than ever I should be the successor to Wenger

sola virtus nobilitat
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 23, 2017, 09:10:51 PM »

Quite funny really, had to ask my son why they were booing Ramsey - can happily say I'm an Arsenal fan who doesn't give a second's thought to what happened 6 years ago and less than that to the irrelevant Stoke in general.

Big miss for me at Stoke.  Wonder if he regrets leaving now he looks at the new team and the EPL league table?

Really think he would've been perfect for Arsenal in a DM role.. athletic, skilful and could dig a bit too

After watching Nzonzi last night for Sevilla, more convinced than ever I should be the successor to Wenger

I was just saying the same thing to a couple of Stokies last night watching the game.   He is an incredible talent.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 23, 2017, 09:14:04 PM »

I was just saying the same thing to a couple of Stokies last night watching the game.   He is an incredible talent.

Yup, really enjoyed watching him run the game yesterday, v impressive

sola virtus nobilitat
baldock92

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 05, 2017, 06:43:42 AM »

I've not managed to watch us play for a while but I'm hearing the young Egyptian lad, Ramadan Sobhi, is starting to put in some cracking performances. Let's hope he turns out to be a real gem!

Feed em rice.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 16, 2017, 09:05:03 AM »

Stoke stand by Mark Hughes and will back him in summer - but will demand a big improvement

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/05/15/stoke-stand-mark-hughes-will-back-summer-transfer-market/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_tw

agree with this? isn't it time to freshen it up and move on? gone nowhere this season

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 16, 2017, 09:56:25 AM »

Stoke stand by Mark Hughes and will back him in summer - but will demand a big improvement

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/05/15/stoke-stand-mark-hughes-will-back-summer-transfer-market/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_tw

agree with this? isn't it time to freshen it up and move on? gone nowhere this season

There's a group of teams, Stoke, Southampton, Everton, maybe even WBA and Bournemouth, who are very very unlikely to go down, but it's virtually impossible for them to reach the top 5.

Being a supporter of one of these teams must be an extremely dull experience. Especially as they often rest players for cup competitions.

Sure Sunderland went down this year, but at least there supporters have had exciting seasons for the last decade. When was the last time a Stoke fan could claim the same?

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 16, 2017, 10:03:08 AM »

There's a group of teams, Stoke, Southampton, Everton, maybe even WBA and Bournemouth, who are very very unlikely to go down, but it's virtually impossible for them to reach the top 5.

Being a supporter of one of these teams must be an extremely dull experience. Especially as they often rest players for cup competitions.

Sure Sunderland went down this year, but at least there supporters have had exciting seasons for the last decade. When was the last time a Stoke fan could claim the same?

Surely you have some Sunderland fans amongst your friends living up there?  Would be surprised if many described this season as exciting.  Probably same applies to Boro.  Hull gave it a go though.

I remember when we went down (Bradford City), it was the start of pretty much 10 years of despair.  Would take Stoke over that in a heartbeat.  Must be maddening when these types of teams duck the cup though.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 16, 2017, 10:17:35 AM »

Surely you have some Sunderland fans amongst your friends living up there?  Would be surprised if many described this season as exciting.  Probably same applies to Boro.  Hull gave it a go though.

I remember when we went down (Bradford City), it was the start of pretty much 10 years of despair.  Would take Stoke over that in a heartbeat.  Must be maddening when these types of teams duck the cup though.

This year has been shocking for the Mackems, but since 2000, they have been in the Championship for three seasons and come 3rd, 1st and 1st.

Most seasons in the Premier League they've battling relelgation, but at least that means their fans have exciting games to watch until the end of the season.

The five teams I mentioned have nothing to play for the last 3 months of the season usually.
a
If my team isn't going to be challenging for trophies (they aren't) I'd rather watch them play exiciting games that mean something, rather than a steady stream of mid table averageness.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 10:19:22 AM by The Camel » Logged

Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 16, 2017, 01:23:12 PM »

Surely you have some Sunderland fans amongst your friends living up there?  Would be surprised if many described this season as exciting.  Probably same applies to Boro.  Hull gave it a go though.

I remember when we went down (Bradford City), it was the start of pretty much 10 years of despair.  Would take Stoke over that in a heartbeat.  Must be maddening when these types of teams duck the cup though.

This year has been shocking for the Mackems, but since 2000, they have been in the Championship for three seasons and come 3rd, 1st and 1st.

Most seasons in the Premier League they've battling relelgation, but at least that means their fans have exciting games to watch until the end of the season.

The five teams I mentioned have nothing to play for the last 3 months of the season usually.
a
If my team isn't going to be challenging for trophies (they aren't) I'd rather watch them play exiciting games that mean something, rather than a steady stream of mid table averageness.

I won't really know as I am Palace and it's been exciting since i have supported them since 2003/04 season, with promotion, relegation, near relegations, and near promotions with i think two failed play offs in the champ.

Call me boring but I would love some casual years of mundanity and the ability to watch my team from home in the prem without some sort of impending heart attack.

Saying that though if you really are a cemented mid table side then you must be pushing for it in the cups.

On chairmen's or fans being upset with certain seasons like maybe at Stoke I think they do need a reality check and that there should probably be no ambition beyond mid table anonymity. Once you are there be completely content. If you get better that's a bonus but should never be an expectancy and that applies to all the teams in the prem aside from the top 7
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 16, 2017, 01:28:12 PM »

On saturday we played man c.

it was only the sixth game since the start of 2013-14 that we could not get promoted,win whichever league we were in or get relegated

we've had promotion, near relegation, win the premier league, relegation risk again and now finally mid table

i too quite happily would take 10th 10th 10th 2017-2020 but would not want to see us playing weakened teams in any cup competition if that is the sum or our league potential!

lots of clubs (southampton,stoke i can think of straight away) seem happy to lose in FAC Round 3 for the sake of a few league points the weekend after with a fresh team. i know the financial implications of finishing even one place higher in the PL are a few million quid either way, but if the cups are your only chance of silverware and you know it before the season starts, i would like these teams to plan and prioritise a but differently

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 16, 2017, 02:07:42 PM »

My 2p as a kinda of adopted Stokie.  People forget we have played all season without our first choice keeper who was probably Stoke's player of the season last season.  No club in mid table could replace the future England number 1 with a championship keeper and not expect to regress slightly.  I think Crouch has been given a really rough ride by Hughes this season.  Every time he has played he has done the business yet has only had one run in the side all season and it coincided with Stoke's best spell of the season.  A lot of people write him off but whoever Stoke have played up front this season have done no better than Crouchy still can do imo.

Arnie/Shaqiri etc are at Stoke because they only turn up 25% of games and play to their potential.  If they turned up every week Stoke wouldn't be able to sign them.  They are amazing when they turn up.  A liability when they don't.  Allen is Stoke's best player for me.  Charlie Adam is also a pleasure to watch.  The squad is at a natural cross roads and more severe surgery this summer is required than usual i think hence the slight drop off this season mainly because the net spend is still only £12m a season since 12/13 season.

The FA Cup issue.  I don't think they ducked the cup at all tbh.  I went to the Wolves game this season in the 3rd round and Stoke put out virtually a full strength team (they were backed from 8/11 into tight 1/2 pre match on betfair) once the teams were announced.  I did my bollocks financially on the game so i remember it well as i mopped up as much of the 8/13 stoke i could get on the coupons inside the ground just before kick off in the main stand before the woman told me to fuck off as they weren't interested in laying any more! Wolves just turned up on the day with 8500 very vocal fans (it was their cup final and a semi local derby) and played a sensational game even though according to the stats Stoke dominated the game it didn't seem like that watching it.  Wolves were great value for their win and it could have been even more convincing imo than just 2-0.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38474738

I would take 10th every season than being like Leicester/Sunderland/Mboro etc etc.  The owners have substantial wealth now (£5bn per the rich list last weekend/21st richest in the UK).  I would suggest the company is probably worth double that.  It would be amazing if the chairman just thought 'fuck it what is the point of ironing these punters out day in day out for £10m profit a day at the day job if i can't spunk a decent chunk of it trying to get Stoke into the Champions league and live the boyhood dream as a lifelong Stoke fan in my later years?'  I don't think that will ever happen as the family are too shrewd but it would be great to see.

bergeroo

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 16, 2017, 02:48:46 PM »

Speaking as a Birmingham fan. We won the League Cup but in the same season got relegated. That relegation totally crippled us financially and we ended up selling some amazing prospects for virtual peanuts in subsequent seasons. Gray, Butland, Redmond. We have managed to avoid going down to League One twice by the skin of our teeth and who knows what would happen if we'd gone that way. I look at someone like Coventry right now as an example.

Granted our owners were an absolute joke, so you could say that if a well run club goes down, they just be smart and solid in the championship (eg Newcastle) and come back up straight away. But it doesn't always work like that. If you get relegated you probably have to sell a majority of your better players which undoes years of work and building, plus you could go further into a downward spiral and not make it back (Blackburn).

Those European trips with Birmingham were really amazing, but I would probably trade them to still be in the Prem, with quality through the side and playing top teams week in and out and trying to get results off them.

I think Stoke would be mad to get rid of Hughes, but I also thought they were mad to get rid of Pulis. They are one of the best run clubs in the country for sure but it is so hard to make the next step to contest the top 6.

In Germany this season Hoffenheim have bought their way into the top 4. It cost them a lot of money and i'd say it is much easier to do in the Bundesliga than in the Premiership.
muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 16, 2017, 03:26:38 PM »

Everton are the only club outside the top 6 equally unlikely to win the league or go down. Can't say the same about any other team imo given the unpredictability of football. For example i'm sure you'd take 10th every year if you supported Saints because you'd clearly remember being in League 1 just a few years ago.
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 16, 2017, 03:37:08 PM »

Everton are the only club outside the top 6 equally unlikely to win the league or go down. Can't say the same about any other team imo given the unpredictability of football. For example i'm sure you'd take 10th every year if you supported Saints because you'd clearly remember being in League 1 just a few years ago.

Football has changed massively in the last decade.

It will take some gross mismanagement (eith by the actual manager or more likely the guys who are running the club) for Southampton to go down in current climate.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 ... 31 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: