blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:45:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272539 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  2014-15 NFL Discussion thread
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 ... 42 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2014-15 NFL Discussion thread  (Read 75234 times)
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: December 31, 2014, 05:16:17 PM »

Cheers, it could be a real merry go round couldn't it. Kyle Shanahan in the frame for Chicago job too, that could give Cousins a chance to replace Cutler.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: December 31, 2014, 05:17:03 PM »

Yes, in principle it must do

he and his agent have a lot of work to do in the draft process to overcome this sort of stuff

http://www.businessinsider.com/jameis-winston-nfl-draft-value-2014-9?IR=T

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/jameis-winston-incidents-timeline-091714

drafting a quarterback very high and getting it wrong costs millions and is difficult to reverse, so expecting teams to automatically jump to get him is premature

Explains why Manziel got to sit there looking awkward while everyone else was drafted around him.

redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 31, 2014, 05:21:55 PM »

Feels like a draft with a lot of risks to me.  Not sure I would want to take Winston and would love to find a way to be against him.  Also Gurley seems a fairly big risk given he tore his ACL this year and got a suspension too (albeit for violating NCAA rules rather than something ore serious). 

bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: December 31, 2014, 05:33:04 PM »

he and his agent have a lot of work to do in the draft process to overcome this sort of stuff

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/jameis-winston-incidents-timeline-091714

drafting a quarterback very high and getting it wrong costs millions and is difficult to reverse, so expecting teams to automatically jump to get him is premature

Explains why Manziel got to sit there looking awkward while everyone else was drafted around him.

Winston is still tabbed to go between 2 and 6 on  draft boards so his rep has recovered or is being overlooked by the analysts. A team like Buffalo might see this as a moment to take a chance and trade future picks for a QB as their D, WR and RB groups are competitive. Cam Newton had a major off field issues before he was drafted and Wilson was considered too small so not all QB's with issue are busts. Johnny M looks more likely to be a Ryan Leaf than and a Tom Brady tho at the mo doesn't he?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 05:34:43 PM by bobby1 » Logged

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 31, 2014, 05:42:00 PM »

have you seen the film "draft day"?

not tremendously realistic but entertaining nonetheless

http://www.spacemov.com/draft-day-2014/

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: December 31, 2014, 05:42:38 PM »

I saw a scenario Rich where Chicago could  actually give up a pick to get Cutler off their hands given how restrictive his contract is, so Cutler plus say a 4th-5th rounder for a pick later in the draft. How likely do you think that is?

Not sure. can't remember too many instances of a team giving up a pick to trade away a player

i did see Shanahan (who i think drafted cutler and marshall at denver) is in the frame to go to the bears, with the thought being that cutler would be his big reclamation project

makes a change from everyone else chasing seattle and arizona coaches for interviews i suppose

from early looks the strengths in this draft is in pass rush and running back

leonard williams at usc looks like a richard seymour type up front. there's melvin gordon and todd gurley and many other running backs that will make an immediate impact, there's a couple of wide receivers too (amari cooper)...but it doesn't look like a draft class that had the depth of last year

there's quite a bit of hidden luck in building a team, does the draft class fit with what you need to draft in a given year and where you are picking etc...part of the reason why many teams' successes go in cycles

Arizona and Seattle defense coaches plus Denver and New England offensive coaches.

To what extent is the fact these are the in demand coaches purely down to the fact they are coaching the best group of players at their position in the NFL?

Who is to say the Jacksonville OC (who was fired yesterday) isn't a better coach than Adam Gase at Denver?

The Jax geezer had to work with Bortles, Gerhart and Ceeeeeeeeecil Shorts, while Gase has Peyton, Demerius and Julius.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: December 31, 2014, 05:45:47 PM »

I saw a scenario Rich where Chicago could  actually give up a pick to get Cutler off their hands given how restrictive his contract is, so Cutler plus say a 4th-5th rounder for a pick later in the draft. How likely do you think that is?

Not sure. can't remember too many instances of a team giving up a pick to trade away a player

i did see Shanahan (who i think drafted cutler and marshall at denver) is in the frame to go to the bears, with the thought being that cutler would be his big reclamation project

makes a change from everyone else chasing seattle and arizona coaches for interviews i suppose

leonard williams at usc looks like a richard seymour type up front. there's melvin gordon and todd gurley and many other running backs that will make an immediate impact, there's a couple of wide receivers too (amari cooper)...but it doesn't look like a draft class that had the depth of last year

there's quite a bit of hidden luck in building a team, does the draft class fit with what you need to draft in a given year and where you are picking etc...part of the reason why many teams' successes go in cycles

Arizona and Seattle defense coaches plus Denver and New England offensive coaches.

To what extent is the fact these are the in demand coaches purely down to the fact they are coaching the best group of players at their position in the NFL?

Who is to say the Jacksonville OC (who was fired yesterday) isn't a better coach than Adam Gase at Denver?

The Jax geezer had to work with Bortles, Gerhart and Ceeeeeeeeecil Shorts, while Gase has Peyton, Demerius and Julius.

very good question,

the Seattle DC Quinn is implementing Carroll's philosophy with a roster drafted by GM Schneider. Superb drafting has given them a great defense

now the world and his wife wants to hire Quinn. Is it Quinn's doing, and is it replicable?

getting these big picutre decisions right when hiring is the key to turning round franchises quickly

My eyes are open wide
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: December 31, 2014, 05:52:53 PM »

very good question,

the Seattle DC Quinn is implementing Carroll's philosophy with a roster drafted by GM Schneider. Superb drafting has given them a great defense

now the world and his wife wants to hire Quinn. Is it Quinn's doing, and is it replicable?

getting these big picutre decisions right when hiring is the key to turning round franchises quickly

Whoever makes the draft/scouting decisions for Seattle is the real genius of that organisation.

Not Pete Carroll who is just a glorified Jason Garrett and certainly not the cordinators.

Kam Chancellor round 5
Richard Sherman round 5
Russell Wilson round 3
Earl Thomas pick 14. (were there really 13 better players than him in the 2010 draft?)
Marshawn Lynch the scrapheap

These are all remarkable IMO.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: December 31, 2014, 05:54:55 PM »

agreed

no dissing jason garrett though. Much much improved Coach, and with one notable exception fantastic drafting by the organisation since 2010

My eyes are open wide
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: December 31, 2014, 05:58:29 PM »

agreed

no dissing jason garrett though. Much much improved Coach, and with one notable exception fantastic drafting by the organisation since 2010

As far as I can see Garrett does nothing except pat players on the backside after they've made a good play and hug Dez, DeMarco and Tony after another win.

"Boy, can I coach!" As Mike Carlson is prone to say.

Scott Linehan's play calling and the best O Line in the league is the reason they've been so successful this season.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: December 31, 2014, 06:02:10 PM »

agreed

As far as I can see Garrett does nothing except pat players on the backside after they've made a good play and hug Dez, DeMarco and Tony after another win.

Scott Linehan's play calling and the best O Line in the league is the reason they've been so successful this season.

he gave up play calling to Linehan, not every coach would have done

he was the architect of drafting the OL. Jerry Jones had to be persuaded to draft the grunts not the sexy picks.

some of his stuff working to gel what was always a dysfunctional "me me me" locker room together has been brilliant

My eyes are open wide
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: December 31, 2014, 06:09:04 PM »

have you seen the film "draft day"?

not tremendously realistic but entertaining nonetheless

http://www.spacemov.com/draft-day-2014/

Yeah, I thought it was a very good film.

My old man enjoyed it as well, and he has no interest in the NFL.

The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: December 31, 2014, 06:12:40 PM »

agreed

he gave up play calling to Linehan, not every coach would have done

he was the architect of drafting the OL. Jerry Jones had to be persuaded to draft the grunts not the sexy picks.

some of his stuff working to gel what was always a dysfunctional "me me me" locker room together has been brilliant

I was under the impression it was a "Give the play calling to someone else or you can hit the road Ginge" ultimatum from JJ.

As I haven't got any significant ante post positions this year I am rooting for the Cowboys.

I think Romo is the most under rated player of the last decade. He is fantastic.

Would love him to stick all the criticism from the last few years up the analysts collective jacksys.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 06:26:28 PM by The Camel » Logged

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: December 31, 2014, 06:12:44 PM »

Winston is still tabbed to go between 2 and 6 on  draft boards so his rep has recovered or is being overlooked by the analysts. A team like Buffalo might see this as a moment to take a chance and trade future picks for a QB as their D, WR and RB groups are competitive. Cam Newton had a major off field issues before he was drafted and Wilson was considered too small so not all QB's with issue are busts. Johnny M looks more likely to be a Ryan Leaf than and a Tom Brady tho at the mo doesn't he?

Was watching someone debate the Mariota/Winston head to head yesterday, and they couldn't split them for the game.

They said Winston has never lost a game as QB?

I remember following the Winston off field troubles, because we were all up to our necks in Mariota slips for the Heisman at big prices.

Must be hard for these kids trying to be so responsible, when really they should just be playing sport for fun, and getting out of their faces every other night.

Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: December 31, 2014, 06:14:28 PM »

wasnt there a college QB that got 90% of vote or something for player of year?

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 ... 42 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: