blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:47:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272574 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  UK General Election 2015
Poll
Question: I will be voting for the following in the General election  (Voting closed: May 10, 2015, 02:10:42 PM)
Conservative - 41 (40.6%)
Labour - 20 (19.8%)
Liberal Democrat - 6 (5.9%)
SNP - 9 (8.9%)
UKIP - 3 (3%)
Green - 7 (6.9%)
Other - 3 (3%)
I will not be voting - 12 (11.9%)
Total Voters: 100

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 ... 155 Go Down Print
Author Topic: UK General Election 2015  (Read 254132 times)
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #735 on: April 18, 2015, 02:33:14 PM »

I refer back to my previous comment about unemployment at its lowest level for years and wages up.

If this is, as many on here proclaim, failing, what, pray tell, is moving in the right direction?

As  relaedgc points out, far too many ignorant people acting according to type and oblivious to the facts of what is actually happening.

Productivity is lower than it was in 2006.  The new "jobs" aren't producing anything except in work benefits.
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #736 on: April 18, 2015, 02:56:50 PM »

I refer back to my previous comment about unemployment at its lowest level for years and wages up.

If this is, as many on here proclaim, failing, what, pray tell, is moving in the right direction?

As  relaedgc points out, far too many ignorant people acting according to type and oblivious to the facts of what is actually happening.

Productivity is lower than it was in 2006.  The new "jobs" aren't producing anything except in work benefits.

Also, lots of those "jobs" are part time, zero hours, <living wage.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #737 on: April 19, 2015, 09:47:47 AM »

Productivity s down and so are earnings in real term. 

Stats, stats, stats and more damn lies.
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #738 on: April 19, 2015, 09:49:07 AM »

Should have read upto here, this is very much at the crux. 
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #739 on: April 19, 2015, 02:04:43 PM »

Superb article about party strategies, hung parliaments and who wants what

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/apr/19/general-election-2015-hung-parliament-miliband-cameron

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Whollyflush

View Profile
« Reply #740 on: April 19, 2015, 02:11:27 PM »

Isn't this also in part down to people being on zero hour contracts and many peoples benefits been cut or completely taken away from them so as they aren't claiming hence they don't register as unemployed? certainly explains the rise of the number of people using food banks.

@whollyflush on twitter
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #741 on: April 19, 2015, 02:26:38 PM »

Isn't this also in part down to people being on zero hour contracts and many peoples benefits been cut or completely taken away from them so as they aren't claiming hence they don't register as unemployed? certainly explains the rise of the number of people using food banks.

Yes, it's part of the targetting that isn't there.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #742 on: April 19, 2015, 06:52:22 PM »

could be enough to swing it?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/emilyashton/this-labour-election-poster-pledging-to-get-rid-of-katie-hop

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #743 on: April 20, 2015, 11:17:12 PM »

Definitely an appealing thought, that she might jog herself on!

See they've got Nigel Farage on BBC1 on Wednesday, with a guy called Evan Davis.

scotty77

View Profile
« Reply #744 on: April 21, 2015, 03:12:13 AM »

I think I've read maybe 2 or 3 of her pieces lifetime and the only TV stuff that she's done that I paid attention to is when she was in the Apprentice.

But the fact that she is constantly on TV and has newspaper columns shows that she has more fans than haters. 

It's just that the haters are the ones who rant and rave on twitter/FB/make stupid petitions.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #745 on: April 21, 2015, 03:55:49 AM »

Seen a few interviews, where she just seems to try and be as offensive as possible.

Don't hate her, as such, but I definitely find her rather unpleasant.

Fortunately I don't have the time, nor inclination, to fall into that last category Cheesy

BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #746 on: April 21, 2015, 07:45:39 AM »

I love the way zero hours contracts are always lumped in the "almost don't count" category, like they are a bad thing. Speak to anyone in the NHS and they love them.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #747 on: April 21, 2015, 10:34:47 AM »

thought this was very useful

"This election looks a close-run thing – very close run indeed. As I write, polls and forecasts suggest strongly that no party’s going to get near a majority. There’s a lot of talk about what could happen after May 7th. And an idea’s beginning to take hold that, in a hung Parliament, Ed Miliband would need some sort of advance promise of support from the Scottish Nationalists before the Queen would appoint him Prime Minister.

That, though, is a wrong reading of the constitution.........."

http://www.headoflegal.com/2015/04/19/ed-can-enter-no-10-without-nicolas-keys/

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #748 on: April 21, 2015, 11:17:08 AM »

I love the way zero hours contracts are always lumped in the "almost don't count" category, like they are a bad thing. Speak to anyone in the NHS and they love them.

I don't know where you get this stuff from

Of the three nurses that I know, not one of them would categorise learning their shifts a few weeks in advance as an element of their job that they 'love'.

The problem with zero hours contracts I think is that they are a very specific tool to deal with changing demand quickly. In some instances they work really well like for a housemate who does rope access work on building sites. Its a pretty niche job so he gets paid reasonably well for it and he gets hours when he contractor has work. This works out well for both parties, but the problem comes when businesses that don't really have flexible demand start to put people on zero hours contracts because they want to be able to dismiss staff at will or to dodge redundancy obligations.

The NHS is a great example of this. From the article linked below:

The HSJ survey shows shows that 194 out of 229 NHS trusts for which figures are available missed their own targets for the number of nurses who should be present on wards during the day. Two-thirds failed to meet their own target for the number of nurses on duty at night.

In all, 79 hospitals missed their target for the total number of nurse hours that should have been filled during the day; the figure was more than 10% at 45 hospitals. For night shifts, 96 hospitals breached their target by up to 5% and 43 by between 6% and 10%, while 15 trusts filled fewer than 90% of their planned nurse hours.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/apr/20/ed-miliband-promises-to-raise-number-of-nurses-in-training

Chronic under-staffing takes away the flexibility for the employee because one of the key points of a zero hours contract is that as well as the employer being under no obligation to offer hours, the employee is under no obligation to accept any allotted hours.

I wonder what you'd find if you asked those NHS workers that love their zero hours contracts how it would go down with their employer if they started turning down shifts. What usually happens is that nurses and care workers are guilt tripped into taking whatever hours they are given because they know that not doing the shift leaves the ward or home a staff member down and just piles more pressure onto their colleagues.

In practice, the number of people contracted for the employer to experience their flexibility is much smaller than the number of needed for the employees to realise their side of the flexibility agreement, and it is often the case that employers are satisfied with the number of people on the books once their own needs have been met and if if leaves the business a little under-staffed then well, everyone can just work a bit harder.

MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #749 on: April 21, 2015, 11:38:47 AM »

I employ about 100 associates on zero hours contracts, mostly uni students. When exams roll around they tell me they want less hours or no hours at all, when it gets to holidays they want as many hours as possible. Seems to be ideal situation for them.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 ... 155 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: