blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 09:50:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Samsung Laptop Overheating
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Samsung Laptop Overheating  (Read 3155 times)
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 03:02:12 PM »

After a while I needed to take my laptop to bits and get the crud out of the fan. I suspect the problem is the same with you.

Although you can put the hoover on the vents and that does help, the best cure is to take it to bits and attack the fan/heatsink with cotton buds, the hoover and anything else you need to get the crud out. I got big lumps out of mine. Before it was shutting down due to overheating. Afterwards, it was nearly silent as the fan could keep everything cool at very low speed.

A can of compressed air is better than a hoover.
Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 03:02:47 PM »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000V3ID96/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got this when I ordered a new laptop and its possibly the best one I ever used. Soft, comfy and keeps my laptop cool. Mouse store under it also.
theprawnidentity

8 high happens!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 03:05:13 PM »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-Notepal-U2-Notebook/dp/B002NU5V4A

This is for 17" laptops, I think I had to get a bigger one cause my laptop is ridiculously oversized (not sure if that's thin or not?).
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2014, 03:52:46 PM »

BUMP!

The fan i bought works great, but is currently being posted to me from the UK. In the meantime the laptop works OK without overheating if there is no external monitor connected! Any idea why this is, or more importantly, how to fix this?

It also seems to overheat more if running programs like PokerTracker, and especially Skype. Does this tally with other users experiences? Seems odd to me.

When the fan arrives hopefully everything will be solves but in the meantime...?

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2014, 04:02:04 PM »

BUMP!

The fan i bought works great, but is currently being posted to me from the UK. In the meantime the laptop works OK without overheating if there is no external monitor connected! Any idea why this is, or more importantly, how to fix this?

It also seems to overheat more if running programs like PokerTracker, and especially Skype. Does this tally with other users experiences? Seems odd to me.

When the fan arrives hopefully everything will be solves but in the meantime...?

Don't laugh at this but whilst i was waiting for my alienware laptop to be built/delivered i had the same problem with my old giant 18 inch Toshiba.  I got round it by buying several bags of frozen peas and placing them in turn on the top of the laptop to cool it down.  It worked a treat rotating the different bags of peas from the freezer to keep sure they didn't leak ice/water etc onto laptop. 
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2014, 06:42:19 PM »

BUMP!

Yeah PT/HEM auto import in particular, but also stuff like Skype is very processor intensive and will exacerbate the overheating issue. Make sure there aren't too many programs running on startup by going to msconfig > Startup tab (google msconfig startup for a walkthrough). Also having a ton of tabs open in browsers will aggravate the problem. Try not to have anything other than PT and poker sites open and see how it goes. If even that + cleaning vents doesn't stop the computer from shutting down due to overheating then its likely a repair or replace job or will be within a few months.

The processor shuts down when it gets hot enough that continuing to run would damage the processor so its a decent sized problem, one I'm personally not convinced that an external anti-cooling device would be a long term fix for, but I could be completely off. I tend to be a bit cynical about these sort of things Tongue

cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2014, 06:50:04 PM »

I could pretend to have done that msconfig thing no problem, but I actually found it rather simply by opening the "start-up" tab in Task Manager.

Anything that could go?

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2014, 08:09:49 PM »

Most of the things on that list can go. Most aren't needed at start up (if at all).

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2014, 08:36:40 PM »

Most of the things on that list can go. Most aren't needed at start up (if at all).

Can you be more specific Dan, what needs to stay?

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2014, 09:55:39 PM »

Can you be more specific Dan, what needs to stay?

Put it this way, none of those launch at startup on my laptop.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2014, 09:57:34 PM »

As Mr Morgan said, your laptop shouldn't really be overheating like this, even with loads of programs running, and the fan-tray thingy might not help.  It does help my missus' laptop though and without the tray it overheats and blue-screens quite often.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: