blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:23:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Dear Facebook geeks..
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dear Facebook geeks..  (Read 4348 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: October 28, 2014, 11:04:53 AM »

Is there an optimum size for photographs with regards to upload time / data usage / image quality?

Also, my 'best quality' setting for video is 1920 x 1080. Mid range is 1280 x 720. Small is 320 x 240. Which should I use bearing in mind I may have limited bandwidth.

Does Facebook re-size pictures and video anyway? If so, do we know what size it makes them? I see no point in uploading anything bigger than it will use.

TIA.

The older I get, the better I was.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 02:02:35 PM »

Facebook is known to make frequent changes, but currently the sizes recommended are here:
http://www.jonloomer.com/2014/01/20/facebook-image-dimensions/

Facebook does resize stuff, so no need to worry too much - except for your bandwidth.  Unless there's a requirement, you don't need to both with HD video and could probably use 1280x720 or even smaller if you want.  Depends on what the video is for and how much detail you want/need people to see.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 05:13:35 PM »

Facebook is known to make frequent changes, but currently the sizes recommended are here:
http://www.jonloomer.com/2014/01/20/facebook-image-dimensions/

Facebook does resize stuff, so no need to worry too much - except for your bandwidth.  Unless there's a requirement, you don't need to both with HD video and could probably use 1280x720 or even smaller if you want.  Depends on what the video is for and how much detail you want/need people to see.

Thanks Bosh. It was a toss up who got here first, you or Tony.

Yes, it's mostly a bandwidth issue. Stills I would probs upload from my data plan, so no point in uploading big files just so that they can be re sized. Video I would upload via WiFi, but it takes forever as it is, I wouldn't want to slow it down.

Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 06:56:45 PM »

Have you succumbed to FB Tom? If so under what name? Asking so I can add you, then you can wish me a belated happy birthday for yesterday.  Grin

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 07:32:24 PM »

Have you succumbed to FB Tom? If so under what name? Asking so I can add you, then you can wish me a belated happy birthday for yesterday.  Grin

Happy birthday for yesterday Kev.    disco

No. I haven't succumbed yet, but I used Mr Red's account to post pictures and keep in touch with family while we were in India and it made me realise that it could be useful in the right circumstances.

As you may know, I'm planning to go on European motorcycle adventure at some point in the future and I'm flirting with the idea of giving FB a go.

On another note, I've been worrying that the motorcycle adventure might never actually happen. The idea is exciting, and it's fun to research and prepare,  but if I admit the truth I'm a bit scared and I know I'll miss Mrs Red while I'm away.

I've always been a bit of a dreamer, imagining myself doing things that I never actually do. On the other hand, I'm getting a bit long in the tooth now so perhaps the thought of running out of time will prove to be more scary than the things I'm scared of.

Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 07:57:50 PM »

Do it Tom. At our age you never know what's round the corner.

I found out today that a friend of mine passed away yesterday. He had several strokes from the age of 50 and the last 10 years saw him slip into dementia and having to live in a home. He was in his early 70's and I remember him telling me he hoped he didn't lose his memory. He'd had an eventful life until he fell ill.

I mention this only to make the point that we should do the things we want to while we are fit and well enough to do so.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 08:07:30 PM »

That tune is 40 years old. I had it on 8 track.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 08:22:24 PM »

You can work facebook to how you want it to work.  You don't have to see drivel from people posting about their cats, their bland dinners or trainspotting. You can choose what you see and how you see it.  Same with twitter really.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 08:26:17 PM »

You can work facebook to how you want it to work.  You don't have to see drivel from people posting about their cats, their bland dinners or trainspotting. You can choose what you see and how you see it.  Same with twitter really.

But then how will I know if they've seen my drivel?

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 08:38:53 PM »

You'll never know if they have, so you get to live in ignorant bliss Smiley

Whilst it does have plenty of negatives, it does also have lots of positive uses.

Apart from trolling status updates, and posting crap pictures...

There are lots of MS support groups, which are useful for bouncing ideas around, regarding meds/symptom management etc.

I imagine this is the case for a lot of ailments, and it's definitely a massively positive addition to the Nurse/Neuro which we get from the NHS*

*Which I have to say is great in its own right.

The downside to it is, if you're a 'face' like Tikay, it's going to attract plenty of trolls, and aggro though...

Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 09:01:28 PM »

That tune is 40 years old. I had it on 8 track.

Just off the phone.

I remember fitting an 8 track to my old man's beat up box Zephyr. Cartridges the size of Ryanair carry on bags.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 04:43:03 PM »

Do I have to have the FB app to upload videos to FB? I don't like the permissions.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 05:04:33 PM »

Do I have to have the FB app to upload videos to FB? I don't like the permissions.

You don't need to use the app.  You can use the website.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 05:07:29 PM »

You don't need to use the app.  You can use the website.

From my android phone? Can you walk me through it?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: