blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:39:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Best mortgage deal site?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best mortgage deal site?  (Read 2699 times)
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2014, 06:26:59 PM »

They're impartial insofar as all the companies on there have to pay to be listed and it's possible to pay extra for premium visibility.

That's just not true.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/site/moneysavingexpert-finance

I've been looking in to a re-mortgage recently and wouldn't use a broker. They're no different to PPI reclaim companies and the like. They're just doing something that you can do yourself with a little bit of effort.

If it's something complicated like a buy to let on a second property or a high LTV mortgage or you've had bad debts then yes a broker may be of use because he'll know who you're most likely to get accepted with so will save loads of time. Also if you don't really know what you want then a broker can offer advice.

If you've got decent equity in your house, a reasonable income and you know you want a 2 year fix rate deal then just do it yourself because it'll be easy.

If you're in the easy group then I'd take a look at Tesco or HSBC. They both do really good rates at the moment. To be honest though unless you know what sort of mortgage you want (fixed, variable, tracker) and how long you want it for / fixed for it's really difficult to know where to start.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
verndog158

omgpoker

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2014, 06:28:47 PM »

bearing in mind rates are predicted to rise end of this year, and into this year, many people seem more keen to come off the SVR at the moment and fix in due to this

ignore verndog he's a fool

'he had a deep run in EPT Barnsley'
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2014, 06:29:53 PM »

bearing in mind rates are predicted to rise end of this year, and into this year, many people seem more keen to come off the SVR at the moment and fix in due to this

Thought it was August?

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2014, 06:38:07 PM »

The banks are also privy to this bit of information though so they adjust their fixed rates accordingly.

If a bank's offering a 5 year fix at 3% do you think it's likely that the base rate will go significantly higher than that number? The bank obviously doesn't.

Also anyone on an SVR is either a bit of a tool or is in a bad financial position so can't get a particularly good deal. If you want variable then tracker is the way to go. Depending on your circumstances you can still get 1% above base rate (+ an astronomical set up fee) with some banks. The SVR won't be anywhere near that.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2014, 08:05:56 PM »

Thought it was August?

That was the rumour but due to the problems created with MMR many lenders were on their knees, I know a number of companies my own included laid of a large number of their temp population due to the fall in volume but things have picked up in the last 4 - 6 weeks.  As a result, my opinion is that the rate rise will be likely to take effect from early in the new year. 
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2014, 11:48:24 PM »

Personally I have always found brokers and IFAs more expensive then going to the banks/institutions myself. The brokers/IFAs are not helping you out for free and in my experience they never find you a better deal.
Anyone with half a brain can work out what mortgage they want and where to look to find the best rates.

Most of the scaremongering about rate rises is utter crap. who the fuck has an SVR nowadays?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: