blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:54:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272535 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Opinions on a few hands please
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Opinions on a few hands please  (Read 3303 times)
TimothyVanwinkle
« on: November 18, 2014, 09:15:58 PM »

1st was in the WPT warm up blinds are 400/800 utg +1 opens to 2400 with around 20k behind and seems a tight player, 1 lagy player flats in MP with 22k behind and I call in the BB with   29k behind. The flop is    . I check +1 bets 6500 then the guy in MP shoves. I'm pretty sure +1 is going to call as he's making it look like he has an over pair. Should I be risking most of my stack by calling here?

2nd is in my usual £25 tourney with around 70 runners. Blinds are 400/800 utg opens to 2000 with around 25k behind, I'm on the button with   49k behind and call, the BB makes the call too also with around 25k behind.
flop is     the both check and I lead for 3500, BB calls and OR folds. Turn is  , BB checks, I bet 7000 and he shoves. I'm crushed by sets, 2 pair and ready made straights, could I have got away from this if my sizing was smaller?

3rd is playing 1/1 cash. Theres a straddle which is called by 3 players then the button makes it £11, the button is a tricky player and is capable of stealing light here. the SB calls the £11 and I'm in the BB with   £93 behind. I'm confident with my hand thinking I only need to worry and the button but think i'm crushing his range most of the time. Opions on my 3bet sizing please. I don't want to make it too small to price others in so make it £29. Its folded round and to my suprise the SB calls after thinking about it for a few mins but doesnt look too confident. The flop is   and he checks. Check, bet shove? I've less than a pot size left behind.

Thanks in advance for any opinions
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 09:17:42 PM by TimothyVanwinkle » Logged
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 09:25:51 PM »

Hand 1 is a fold as played. You're dominated by a lot of flush draws and may not even have 2 pair outs against both if you're really unlucky.

Hand 2 I would check back. U can get value from Tx hands but again he can have some hands that's have U beat plus u can value bet river if he checks river- only likely to get two streets from this kinda hand plus when u raise its pretty shitty but u have to sigh fold

Hand 3 is tricky. Dependant on players I may even shove for value here. Really depends on whether I think anyone's likely to flick it in otherwise think your sizing is fine- 30-35 seems fine. Post flop bleugh. Check back and try and get some sort of read on the turn maybe or bet fold small. Against some nutters I'm bet calling but probs not in a 1/1 game

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 09:30:30 PM »

fold hand #1, this is the type of hand that you "can never be dominated" with but you can be here if it goes in three ways by better draw and better made hand.

I am pretty sure you have to call hand #2 nowhe's AI for 19.5k / 12.5k more to us so 12.5k to win 52.5k~ i think potentially checking back or b/f smaller or maybe just bet/call like this is fine actually i'm really not to sure.

would bet bigger hand #3 pre flop, would go £35. now I'd bet really small and call a jam.

muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 01:41:49 AM »

Just wrote a post but realised Dave and George have got it well covered. George's suggestion of going b/c/b in hand 2 is a pretty cool line imo. We aren't concerned about too many bad cards peeling off and we can effectively bluffcatch rivers  unimproved also.
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 03:16:29 AM »

wtf? hand 1 is a snap if you defend this pre, do the stove
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 03:50:05 AM »

Probs find it hard to fold in game in hand #1, but I think it would be good too, especially if we're confident it'll be a three way all in. Not that hard for us to be in jail when we get this one in 3 ways as li'l D pointed out.

Hand 2, I'd probably check behind on the turn (although I'd be tempted to check behind on the flop too). Now we've bet two streets and he's jammed, we probably have to call now.

Hand 3, there is definitely a case for just sticking it in pre in some live games, depends on the game flow. Quite like our sizing, and I think it's fine to check flop here. I'm going to be checking this sort of board a bit with AK, AA, AQ type hands (especially in a live game). I'd probably check flop and see what he does, would depend on his sizing, what sort of player he is, how he's behaving etc. whether I continue facing a bet or not.

Also, Hello! Smiley

humour is very much encouraged, however theres humour and theres not.
I disrepectfully agree with Matt Smiley
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 05:58:01 AM »

he can fold an overpair in hand 1 too, gii.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 11:54:57 AM »

3 I thought going all in was my only option as I didn't have enough chips behind me to make any other play. He called after a long long tank and flipped over 

If you feel like there's nowhere to go in this hand but to be AI, then think about how best to manipulate the situation to your best interest. If he has a better hand, then you're not going to make him fold, so completely forget about those hands you're going to be AI vs those hands with two outs regardless.

Lets really focus on the hands we beat, and how best to get those hands to commit more money. I'm sure in this spot a very small bet is the way to go, smaller pairs will call I imagine, 78 might call and you might even tempt him into a float or bluff raise with absolutely nothing.

What we really need to do in this spot is find a way to extract maximum value from the hands we beat to compensate us for the times we get it in with 8% equity vs the top of his range. Just jamming here is effectively just closing our eyes and praying he doesn't have an Ace, basically if we have him beat he folds and if he can beat us he calls.

Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 03:12:42 PM »

my only chance of getting him off the A's is to maybe shove?

He's never folding an Ace here whatever you do, so don't plan any of your play around trying to get him to do so.
Oxford_HRV

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 05:15:43 PM »

Hand 1 I call tbh, the flop is sweeeet for us.

Hand 2 Agree what George says

Hand 3 I would shove preflop there's chunks of dead money, £32 in the pot just go ahead and take it. Not sure what kind of game flow would tend to sway people away from gii here.

To win at poker is to not have to play
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 05:34:24 PM »

Is he going to call the £29 with 78 or small pairs? with his long tank if to actually pre I thought it could be something like 99 1010 AQ or AJ A10 suited as there is a high hand jackpot. He's going to call all small bets and my only chance of getting him off the A's is to maybe shove? maybe check the flop if he bets a blank turn then shove would look stronger?

cheers

I want to focus on this thought process.

This is going to sound very obvious, but when we bet we are doing so for one of two reasons: to get called by a worse hand (bet for value) or to get a better hand to fold (bet as a bluff). I think sometimes beginners accidentally blur the two lines and just bet "because," and are not actually thinking why they are betting.

As Honeybadger mentions above, getting him to fold an ACE after he has already put £30 in is out of the question. So we need to re-evaluate the idea of making your hand "look stronger." If you make your hand look as strong as possible here, we still won't get an ACE to fold, but we will get hands that we beat to fold. If we go back and look at the two reasons for betting, you'll see that by "looking strong" we're not achieving either one. If we try to make our hand look as weak as possible however, we still won't get an ACE to fold, but we are far more likely to get value from a worse hand. Unfortunately on this board, there are not many hands that call £30 before that are likely to call, but there are still some (namely 77-JJ).

Basically we need to make the best of a bad situation, as it's very unfortunate that an ACE has landed (how easy would it be to get paid on a J-T-4 board?!) We won't be able to get a better hand to fold, so now we just need to do everything we can to get called by a worse hand.

Hope this breakdown was helpful and not condescending, it just looked like something that needed addressing. Good luck.
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 05:40:33 PM »

Hand 3 I would shove preflop there's chunks of dead money, £32 in the pot just go ahead and take it. Not sure what kind of game flow would tend to sway people away from gii here.

Also, I agree with this. In a live cash game where the rake is likely quite high, I wouldn't be disappointed to take it down right now. Our stack size is so that any amount we raise to actually price people out is going to commit us to any flop anyway. If we have like £110 upward then we can start thinking about taking it to a flop.
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 11:28:57 AM »

Thanks for the replies. Looking back shoving pre was the best play but I've took on board about extracting the most from the hands we beat. How much does the situation change when its a 3 way pot? I'm back on the cash table last night 1/1 with £90 behind, utg limps with over £100 behind and I raise to £6 in mp with  . It's folded round and the BB calls with around £300 behind and utg calls.
  BB checks and utg bets £12. Flat, raise, shove? My thinking was how many 4's can he have? A4 suited 45 suited, he isn't going to bet out with quads or 7's full so I dominate the rest of his range, 78 suited A7 suited 88 99 66 56. Theres now £30 in the pot and should I be taking it down there and then with a raise? How much does the BB still being in the hand effect my decision?

When you're playing the shortest stack in the hand, you can just say that both players have you covered. Whether they have £100 or £500 is irrelevant as they both have an effective stack of £90.

In this hand though, you don't ever want to be thinking of "taking it down now." You're going to have the best hand such a high % of the time, I mean look at all the hands you can beat that will pay you off! What I would be thinking about here is raising a very small amount to set up an easy all-in on the turn. Let's say you make it £28 now, he is almost never going to fold, then that leaves us with £55 to shove on the turn. We are basically not going to fold any turn card, as there is such a huge range of hands that still call us.

We do obviously have the option of just calling, but the above would be my preferred line.
KingPush

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 08:19:47 PM »

hand 1 is probably a call

check back hand 2, bet turn and river

check back qq, call any turn bet unless turn is a k

with kk I'm just calling down unless an ace comes and then I'll call 2 fold river. This is keeping in mind I'm raising no hands here
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: