blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:54:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Advice
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Advice  (Read 2378 times)
Crads
Probation

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2014, 06:28:32 PM »

Hi there,

I've been a browser for quite a while however decided to sign up, so first of, hi!
Shortly about me - 21 years old, self-employed. Used to be an avid Poker player a couple of years ago and stopped, in the past few months picked it up again and played a lot online. Played a few live cash games and tournaments within the Nottingham/Derby area, first tournament placed 8th/65 which I was relatively happy about.

Anywho, I make videos on YouTube and livestream relatively often - I have an audience of over quarter of a million people on YouTube and over 30,000 on Twitch and roughly 100,000 followers on twitter.
Since I started to create some content on Twitch and YouTube I've had a few approaches from companies offering me their affiliate program which is pretty interesting (I'm used to dealing with 5% and in this industry apparently it's 35%?!) and a few other companies offering me different bits and bobs.

The reason I'm asking for advice is I literally know nothing when it comes to this side of the industry, I know no one, nor do I really know about anything when it comes to this kind of thing. The last thing I want to be doing is getting ripped off and scammed essentially by signing or putting myself in a position that can be quite easily avoided. I work within the gaming industry where there are thousands of people making content and such however in this industry there aren't many so it's a bit of a weird predicament. Any help or advice goes a long way.

Cheers!
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 07:58:39 PM »

What is the subject your YouTube videos?

I doubt Ebony Kenney playing strip poker while explaining how to merge ranges would have an audience of 250,000.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Crads
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 08:06:08 PM »

Haha,

Mostly gaming related, video games, consoles and such.
Few skits/Real life videos mixed in.

Ransom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 02:32:29 PM »

FearCrads? I used to watch a bunch of your Youtube vids a couple of years ago.

I used to do the whole Youtube deal with Machinima, and they offered me a position on the Sports brand over in their L.A offices but nothing ever came of it due to them never wanting to give any money to the sports channel and instead poured it all into the Call of Duty stuff back in like 2009/2010.

If you are FearCrads, I've watched a few of your livestreams and enjoyed them.

Much more entertaining than a certain "Whiteboy" who has recently made the jump to Twitch streaming poker. Had a run it with him when I was doing some representation work with Machinima and thought he was a knob.

From personal experience, take these offers with a pinch of salt. I was grimmed many times doing Youtube from companies who would promise the world but really shaft you on the details. There are many start ups who want to take advantage of Twitch streamers, seeing as a lot of them want to make a full time income from it.

--

Just to add, this is probably things you know already seeing as you have a had a lot of success through Youtube and producing gaming content.

Are you being offered to promote sites through referral links? You get a lot of that on the betting tips Twitter feeds, and their commissions can apparently be quite high compared to the CPMs you might be used to. There are lot of turnkey poker sites still popping up, all connected through one main hub and they are have poor traffic. I've seen a streamer playing on one of them, so I imagine they're freerolling him a bit for some promotion.

I think you're going to have good judgement regarding offers that come your way given your experience - but there's rarely any good freerolls in poker. There's always hoops to jump through if you want the carrot on the end of the stick.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 02:44:13 PM by Ransom » Logged
Crads
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 03:19:07 PM »

Hey!

Yeah I guess choosing the name "Crads" wasn't the brightest idea of mine, but it doesn't hugely bother me.

Appreciate the kindness first off.

Most of them are via referral links and % yeah, and a few others offering a set fee per member signed up etc. Just wanted to get a more general advice from people who actually know the industry better than myself.
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 03:51:38 PM »

what is your twitch handle?

you can leverage subs from other mediums to get on twitchs good side. but they are being alot more unwilling to give people partner than they used to be and even then most are on lower rates than the big guys.  seemingly the most important thing to them atm is that you have a consistent schedule.

whiteboy has been on twitch for a while and isn't a poker streamer, just has started playing some drunk donkaments which is great Smiley  his arrest on stream did more for him than weeks of advertising lol
Ransom

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 04:03:03 PM »

Hey!

Yeah I guess choosing the name "Crads" wasn't the brightest idea of mine, but it doesn't hugely bother me.

Most of them are via referral links and % yeah, and a few others offering a set fee per member signed up etc. Just wanted to get a more general advice from people who actually know the industry better than myself.

Are the sites reputable? Or are DiamondAceFlopPoker.eu contacting you?

If you're being contacted by sites on trustworthy networks like iPoker (who run WilliamHill and the DTD client), then it's going to be safe to use them. If its a site that has hardly any traffic or seem a little shady then give them a wide berth.

I'm all for making a few quid on the side, especially if it's in a poker or gambling context, but being trustworthy is everything in this business. You can do things right and pay out shares in stakes 99 times, but if you grim someone once it'll be all you hear about.
Ransom

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 04:07:43 PM »

you can leverage subs from other mediums to get on twitchs good side. but they are being alot more unwilling to give people partner than they used to be and even then most are on lower rates than the big guys.  seemingly the most important thing to them atm is that you have a consistent schedule.

whiteboy has been on twitch for a while and isn't a poker streamer, just has started playing some drunk donkaments which is great Smiley  his arrest on stream did more for him than weeks of advertising lol

LOL he got nicked on stream? That's brilliant.

My issues with him are on a personal level after our last interaction a couple of years ago at an event, but if he's going to bring some much needed fish to the tables then I hope he streams for a while.

Is his viewer base still pretty young? When he was crushing YouTube it seemed he was really over with the 10-14 year olds (aka the gravy train). Maybe some Swedish sicko will pop up and cite him as inspiration in a few years.
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 04:18:24 PM »

LOL he got nicked on stream? That's brilliant.

My issues with him are on a personal level after our last interaction a couple of years ago at an event, but if he's going to bring some much needed fish to the tables then I hope he streams for a while.

Is his viewer base still pretty young? When he was crushing YouTube it seemed he was really over with the 10-14 year olds (aka the gravy train). Maybe some Swedish sicko will pop up and cite him as inspiration in a few years.

yeh chats are often representative of the streamer, hes kind of dickish but once you've settled into a persona its hard to change without losing your viewers.

streamers often (in the US) get reported to the police as having a gun or drugs and then swat kick the door down, shoot any black people and take about a week to work out they've done another silly to a false informant. it's happening so much the more well known streamers are trying to create relationships with the police so they just think twice before doing one of their classic ask no question raids.

whiteboy specifically got arrested for drugs rather than swat actually being falsely called in. his arrest got him more exposure/viewers/follows than anything else i've seen on twitch.
Crads
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 06:09:19 PM »

Hey!

If you're being contacted by sites on trustworthy networks like iPoker (who run WilliamHill and the DTD client), then it's going to be safe to use them. If its a site that has hardly any traffic or seem a little shady then give them a wide berth.

I'm all for making a few quid on the side, especially if it's in a poker or gambling context, but being trustworthy is everything in this business. You can do things right and pay out shares in stakes 99 times, but if you grim someone once it'll be all you hear about.

As of right now I've noticed it's the decent ones that have contacted me, however getting the same offer as someone who has no following makes no sense to me so I didn't know if certain websites/companies did certain stuff or offer different things etc as I have no idea.

If anyone is at DTD tomorrow evening I'd love to talk in person to them Smiley

titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 06:18:17 PM »

Hey!

As of right now I've noticed it's the decent ones that have contacted me, however getting the same offer as someone who has no following makes no sense to me so I didn't know if certain websites/companies did certain stuff or offer different things etc as I have no idea.

i'd be pretty reticent to trust anyone that was contacting me rather than the other way around in this situation.
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 08:04:48 PM »

God I feel old.
Ransom

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2014, 08:27:10 PM »

Hey!

No DTD for me until New Years but it'd be good to talk poker and streaming with someone involved like yourself.

Give me a shout on Twitter @KillHollywood if you like.

I've been thinking of streaming my sessions but I mainly play mixed games and I don't think the audience is there
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: