blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:28:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Paris horror attack
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paris horror attack  (Read 51987 times)
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: January 13, 2015, 08:39:47 PM »

I didn't find them funny either, just looked like a lot of digs at various religions and beliefs.

Probably something to do with 'kinboshi then.

Nah, I can't draw.

But the idea that you can't mock someone's beliefs is ridiculous. The Life of Brian is one of the funniest films I've ever seen, and if beliefs shouldn't be mocked then that film wouldn't have been made.  If you don't find it funny, that's fine.  Don't watch it.  It certainly doesn't incite violence.  The cartoons didn't incite violence either - remember the murderers killed lots of people who weren't involved in those cartoons being written or published.  I'm assuming the supermarket was targeted because it was Jewish.  To kill people because of their race or religion IS wrong.

But why do it?

If they want to believe a load of fairy stories let them crack on with it.

I still believe I am going to win a poker tournament one day, why crush my dreams?

Only when they attempt to convert people should they be challenged.

Live and let live.

But I have the right to tell you that you won't win a poker tournament. I might be wrong (hope I am), but doesn't mean you can then be violent against me.

The cartoons don't do much for me either, but neither does opera and people seem to enjoy that.

People didn't have to make the Life of Brian or Four Lions - but I'm glad they did. It was their right to make those films, and if they offend you or your beliefs, then don't watch them and accept you live in a democracy.

Yes you have the right to tell me anything you want.

But why would you want to meake me unhappy?

I wouldn't Keith, of course!

But were the cartoons meant to make people unhappy?  Was Life of Brian or Four Lions meant to make people unhappy?

Life of Brian was funny and worthwhile.

I defy anyone to honestly state the Charlie Hebdo cartoons remotely make them smile.

To me anyway, they were drawn purely to antagonise Muslims.

Are they not in response to something else?

Private Eye magazine satirises and mocks people, but again, people don't die because of that.  If they say anything libellous then they can (and have been) sued. 

If I said that I found opera insulting and offensive, should it be banned?  I actually find some people's beliefs and political views offensive, but they're allowed to have their views and as long as they don't infringe on my rights or provide privilege to them because of these views, then that's a good thing.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: January 13, 2015, 08:41:47 PM »

I didn't find them funny either, just looked like a lot of digs at various religions and beliefs.

Nah, I can't draw.

But the idea that you can't mock someone's beliefs is ridiculous. The Life of Brian is one of the funniest films I've ever seen, and if beliefs shouldn't be mocked then that film wouldn't have been made.  If you don't find it funny, that's fine.  Don't watch it.  It certainly doesn't incite violence.  The cartoons didn't incite violence either - remember the murderers killed lots of people who weren't involved in those cartoons being written or published.  I'm assuming the supermarket was targeted because it was Jewish.  To kill people because of their race or religion IS wrong.

But why do it?

I still believe I am going to win a poker tournament one day, why crush my dreams?

Live and let live.

But I have the right to tell you that you won't win a poker tournament. I might be wrong (hope I am), but doesn't mean you can then be violent against me.

The cartoons don't do much for me either, but neither does opera and people seem to enjoy that.

People didn't have to make the Life of Brian or Four Lions - but I'm glad they did. It was their right to make those films, and if they offend you or your beliefs, then don't watch them and accept you live in a democracy.

Just for the sake of debate Dan, where should the line be drawn?

Is this OK?

That's racist.  It's not mocking someone's beliefs or opinions, it's attacking someone because of who they are.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: January 13, 2015, 08:48:02 PM »

Nah, I can't draw.

But why do it?

Live and let live.

Is this OK?

That's racist.  It's not mocking someone's beliefs or opinions, it's attacking someone because of who they are.

It's a fine line though...

The older I get, the better I was.
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 13, 2015, 09:31:07 PM »

I see Charlie Hebdo is potentially going on sale in the UK tomorrow, not sure I'd want to stock it.

Doubt many people would walk into a trophy shop for it, so can see your point Smiley

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 13, 2015, 09:31:56 PM »

Nah, I can't draw.

But why do it?

Live and let live.

Is this OK?

It's a fine line though...

Very fine.

Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 13, 2015, 09:35:16 PM »

For me Charlie Hebdo knew exactly what it was doing.  They crossed a line, just because we have free speech doesn't mean we have the right to offend. 

I like Satire, but deliberately offending people isn't on. 
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 13, 2015, 09:39:46 PM »

They would have known, it's not even like this is the first incident of this sort of thing.

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 13, 2015, 09:47:16 PM »

For me Charlie Hebdo knew exactly what it was doing.  They crossed a line, just because we have free speech doesn't mean we have the right to offend. 

Where any religion is concerned the more offence the better imo
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 13, 2015, 09:55:59 PM »

The life of Brian was made in the 70's. Things have changed.

When it was made people tried to ban it.  It was massively controversial and it mocked a major monotheistic religion.  As far as I know though, no one died due to the making of the film?
Four Lions is a cracking film as well.  Again, I don't think anyone died because of that film either.

Brian did LDO

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 13, 2015, 09:56:40 PM »

Which is fine, but would you go out your way to upset a particular religious group on purpose?

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: January 13, 2015, 10:14:13 PM »

The life of Brian was made in the 70's. Things have changed.

When it was made people tried to ban it.  It was massively controversial and it mocked a major monotheistic religion.  As far as I know though, no one died due to the making of the film?
Four Lions is a cracking film as well.  Again, I don't think anyone died because of that film either.

Brian did LDO

nh wp

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: January 13, 2015, 10:15:55 PM »

Which is fine, but would you go out your way to upset a particular religious group on purpose?

It might be the one that you find most ludicrous or offensive? Anyway, they didn't restrict the mockery to one religion.

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 13, 2015, 10:16:16 PM »

Well obviously, but sadly the Jehovahs Witnesses don't do so much door to door nowadays

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 13, 2015, 10:16:40 PM »

George Burns played god in a movie and nobody said a word.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 13, 2015, 10:19:08 PM »

George Burns played god in a movie and nobody said a word.

Was it a silent movie?

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 ... 26 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: