blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:55:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  A Las Vegas Stag Do
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Las Vegas Stag Do  (Read 10267 times)
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2015, 06:58:00 PM »

At the end of August this year, two of my friends will be getting married.

I have been asked to be best man so, of course, my most important duty is to organise the stag do. The groom is a big Las Vegas fan and has been circa 10 times (the majority when he was <21) so we have just about decided that we will go their for the stag.

Unsure on dates yet and nothing booked. It's likely to be a group of 4-5 of us. Aside from me, no real gamblers in the group - none of the others play poker. Group are all late 20's. Budget will be mid range ish.

I have been with the groom (girlfriends in tow) to Vegas before in 2012. Obviously want to make this one really special.

I thought I would use this thread to mull over ideas, eventually get things planned out and hopefully gain from the considerable knowledge that exists amongst Blondes. Should be able to end it with a fun trip report hopefully.

Will post some initial thoughts shortly. Meeting the groom next weekend to sort out good dates.

Click to see full-size image.

KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 07:05:17 PM »

Dates are definitely going to be the important factor in this. I can't help but stress highly enough - you want to avoid June/July/August for heat and cost.

If you can somehow organise it all for April/May then you run good.
action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 07:10:02 PM »

i was best man for my mates wedding in vegas a few years ago, had it down to a tee.

include

lake mead on boats with beer
pool party at wet republic
a show
few dinners
1 big club night out
and a lot of spare time for people to explore and do their own thing
have a night walking round with the daft guitar cocktails and small stakes gambling

make sure you are stern with what time youre all meeting in the lobby, 10am means 10am, dont let them take the piss
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 02:03:14 AM »

Don't arrange to meet in the lobby.  Arrange to meet in a bar.  That way if someone shows up 20 mins late it doesn't really matter, and if they show up so late that everyone else has already taken off, then they'll learn for the next day.  The most tilting thing in the world is standing in a lobby while someone decides it will only take them 5 minutes to get from the Strat to Mandalay Bay on the bus...

tiger

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 02:05:52 PM »

Having been in June for a Stag Do the one thing I can recommend is a night with bottle service.

Yes it is overpriced and perhaps a luxury that isn't needed but we had a hell of a night. We went to Cosmopolitan in Marquee and had a table outside (where it was a little less expensive). We booked it through a host who we got in touch with whilst in Vegas who met us outside the club and took us over to our table.

Just 2 points to consider:

1. Make sure everyone who goes along is committed to doing their brains on an overpriced night, no-one can be tight in Vegas.
2. Talk to plenty of ladies with your best English accent. Chances are you might end up in a lovely suite in the Venetian with some lovely girls from LA Wink

LeKnave

the end of days...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 05:51:43 PM »

Callaway golf centre is a good day activity, they were really accommodating for big parties and had everything set up for us upon arrival. 

Its only a par 3 course so decent for players of all abilities.

http://taylormadegolfexperience.com/
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 01:15:34 PM »

Thanks for the ideas so far.

I think 5 nights away should be enough. One big club night for the actual ‘do’, a show, some golf and an excursion – Lake Mead, water park etc.

Flights look to be hovering around the £750 mark for 5 nights in May. Looking at a Tuesday to a Sunday flying direct with Virgin. That seems reasonable to me, would be surprised to see them much cheaper than that.

Am unsure on hotels at the moment, do you think it is worth suggesting twin beds (two to a room) to save some money? Hotel prices look expensive on first glance, was thinking something like TI, Mirage type level initially.

Ideally want to get it for £1K each all in.
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 02:24:33 PM »

1k should be plenty

Most rooms are 2 double beds so easy for 2 to share
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 03:11:34 PM »

Mirage/TI level sounds about right, not so expensive that anyone could cough and splutter about it, but plenty decent for those with $$ also.  Fwiw, pool area @ TI is pants while pool area @ Mirage is pretty decent, if that makes a difference.  Fine to suggest sharing rooms, but surely as it isn't being booked as a package, anyone that preferered a room to themself (or even a room somewhere else if they really wanted to) could opt out and arrange it themselves?

Just had a look at some rates calendars in May and there is a LOT of variation, depending on what week you go.  The last week in May looks the cheapest if that helps, there are a couple of very expensive Saturdays in the middle of the month.

12th May - £820
19th May - £532
26th May - £443

All on lowcostusa, but may find better surfing.

Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 03:19:37 PM »

As a wildcard on Mirage, you could get a 2-BDR Tower Suite for $2k+tax+RF using code MIRNYNDE  or a 2-BDR Penthouse for $2.4k+tax+RF.

If a couple of guys in the group (or you +best man) wanted to splash a little bit more, both of those suites have wet bars in and not a bad place to meet up at the start of the evening.  None of that hanging around in lobbies malarkey.. and can get half cut on a bottles of spirits bought at off-licence prices.

hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 04:40:09 PM »

Hi, no idea where you're based in the UK, but if Manchester airport is convenient enough for your group, Thomas Cook have a direct return in May (12th-17th, Tues-Sun) for £656pp.

Edit- if you want to bring the cost of the flights right down, fly from Dublin. You can get a return on the same dates as above for £418pp with US Airways. Factor in maybe another £50pp for your return flight to Dublin, though Ryanair often do £9.99 each way fares.

You might see it as hassle having to go to Dublin first, but look at the positives...you could spend a night there to kick off the stag do, and what a place Dublin is for a night out. The flight to Vegas is a one stop job, but the connections are pretty swift. And you'll arrive in Vegas as a domestic passenger and avoid US customs, which can be very tedious!

Edit again Smiley - Luxor is £370 on those dates, for a pyramid 2 Queen beds room thing. So my abacus makes that £185pp...add that to the £418 flights and its 600 quid pp give or take. Leaves plenty in the 1kpp kitty for a hotel in Dublin and the return flights...you could even keep that aspect of the trip a surprise from the stag! Smiley
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 05:07:54 PM by hhyftrftdr » Logged

Best Bitter.
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 10:07:17 PM »

I flew with US Airways once and it was the last time I ever took a 1 stop flight. The planes were fecking awful, smallest seating and most basic out of all I have flown on and service was terrible. They were that bad that if given the choice of them or not going I would rather stay at home
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 04:00:42 PM »

I flew with US Airways once and it was the last time I ever took a 1 stop flight. The planes were fecking awful, smallest seating and most basic out of all I have flown on and service was terrible. They were that bad that if given the choice of them or not going I would rather stay at home

Ha, I've yet to have the pleasure of flying with them, but having flown with United, Continental and American Airlines in recent years, US carriers do not compare to European carriers...and the European carriers lag behind the Middle East/Asian airlines!

FWIW to OP there are other options from Dublin that avoid using US Airways, but I think they code share with BA these days so can be hard to avoid them on certain routes.

Best Bitter.
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 05:00:00 PM »

Ha, I've yet to have the pleasure of flying with them, but having flown with United, Continental and American Airlines in recent years, US carriers do not compare to European carriers...and the European carriers lag behind the Middle East/Asian airlines!

FWIW to OP there are other options from Dublin that avoid using US Airways, but I think they code share with BA these days so can be hard to avoid them on certain routes.

I have flown with Delta and American airlines before, both were okay though found Delta the better of the two. I fly from Gatwick and there used to be loads of great deals for 1 stop flights until Heathrow had to open more slots and all the US carriers bar US Airways left. Since that US Airways flight have not even contemplated doing anything but direct.
Been a few years since I used them so they may have got better
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 06:19:09 PM »

Have to fly direct and Gatwick is easiest for us all. Given it is a relatively short trip, the less time traveling the better.

Are hotels strict with who stays in rooms? I.e. you book a 1 bed penthouse and 3 of you stay in it.

Stayed in Mirage before and loved it, perfect location and great pool.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: