blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:29:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Jacks
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jacks  (Read 4200 times)
dwayne110

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2015, 03:14:21 PM »

Live poker....

Just sat down on £1/£2 table, taking a shirt stack shot with £140.

I open UTG with  to £10, older gentleman 3-bets to £27 mid position, young internet chap cold class... Back to me and I ... FOLD.

Thoughts on....

- raise size (particularly given my stack size... My thoughts after playing were raise smaller)
- decision to fold, is it bad? If so, how bad? ☺️

Needles to say the flop contained a Jack but trying not to be results orientated... In my mind I was best preflop and too short to flat the initial 3-bet, a shove felt like I was getting snapped off by flips/better

dwayne110

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 04:37:30 PM »

Can't figure out how to edit but meant to write 'beat preflop' and 'cold calls', the mistypes as they go. Don't ask what a 'shirt' short stack is either, lol
muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 05:55:07 PM »

Definitely calling, and then seeing what happens on the flop. Likely going with it on good runouts. You could justify a flop c/f sometimes depending on action/spidey senses but gotta at least see 3 with JJ first imo. Folding now seems a little premature.
Oxford_HRV

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 07:25:26 PM »

Yeah you can't go really wrong doing a call here. Folding is very weak and all in looks to be best imo. I'm not too fond of a 5x open to fold, you dont want to give the table that impression where you are giving up a lot pre flop when you're supposed to be real strong. I think it's fair to say I'd see this hand and think id like to 4b jam often enough. Even do the same thing with a much bigger stack in a lot of live games, nut peddlers would nearly always 3b bigger here so I wouldn't worry about you being crushed against his range, and Internet kids probs thinking these guys got pictures and peel off something like 86s, it's doubtful you would get snapped off with flips and if so its fine! theres no way it would go 3 ways unless someones on tilt, your perceived range to gii has to be minimum TT AKs and you win chunks if they both fold! If you're heads up I'd probs flat and check jam a lot of flops maybe Qx and lower, but I'd say villain will 3b this size with 88+ AJs and continue with 100% frequency

To win at poker is to not have to play
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 09:59:42 PM »

if youre read is hes super nutted then seems wp, even if he has aq/ak the other guy has come along too and theres not many "favourable" run outs for us that dont have a jack on the flop

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
shipitgood

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 10:42:47 PM »

Any reads on the older guy? Is he super tight?

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 11:25:18 PM »

Isn't 70bbs an awkward stack to play? Too much to really short-stack optimally, and not enough to play through the streets comfortably?

If you had 50bbs or fewer here, then it makes your play a lot easier. Possibly also true if you've got 100bbs+?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 12:50:23 AM »

Any reads on the older guy? Is he super tight?

I'm gonna guess no.....''Just sat down on £1/£2 table''.

Agree that 70bb is a tad awkward in stack sizing. Did you give any indication to the table when sitting that you might be inclined to spin your stack? Sitting down with that amount makes you appear to be there to 'gamble', so perhaps GII pre flop will cement that perceived image and maybe get you action from a range wider than usual...

Best Bitter.
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 03:30:19 AM »

Isn't 70bbs an awkward stack to play? Too much to really short-stack optimally, and not enough to play through the streets comfortably?

If you had 50bbs or fewer here, then it makes your play a lot easier. Possibly also true if you've got 100bbs+?

It's awkward for others too though. If we use a stack size we are familiar with and understand how to play against guys who never buy in with this amount we will gain a huge edge.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 01:19:05 PM »

£17 to call from here? Surely calling and open mucking every flop without a Jack is better than folding, when you consider the implied odds of hitting a jack?

I wouldn't know what to read into the small 3bet size tbh, perhaps he's noticed your stack size is shallower and is going smaller as a result, perhaps he's just messing about with a  type hand, perhaps he's taking advantage of the fact you've only just sat down, with a shorter stack and might not want to get monies in straight away...or perhaps he has a really good hand and wants to keep his customer in.

My instinct on the situation would be he does not have a magnum hand, as I just think people would raise bigger mostly to protect from multi-way pots, but I could be wrong...

Either way I think calling is far and beyond the superior play pre-flop, I wouldn't mind at all taking a very cautious post flop approach either given we're totally readless (i.e chk/folding T63r etc) would prefer to do that than fold preflop

pokerplayingfarmer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 06:47:01 PM »

Yeah im never folding for £17 here, reads or no reads.  Gotta call imo, evaluate flop and go from there, I'm checking any flop as you'll most likely be able to tell a huge amount from old guys bet sizing and make a decision from that.  Don't think a jam is so bad pre either, but kinda need to be sat there to decide!

I've never got it.....ever
dwayne110

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 02:35:45 PM »

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm interested in your thoughts on the 3-bettor's sizing being 'small' Dave, if I had Aces-Queens I'd make it a similar size? how much would you make it if you had a premium hand, in his spot?
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 04:28:15 PM »

well i dont know what the other stacks concerned in the hard are but for a live game it seems small to me, I think if I was deliberately trying to make it small I'd go £30 but usually about £35-£40

People don't fold innit, and they over call a fair bit too, so 1 or possibly 2 people calling big bets is much more attractive than 4 or 5 people calling medium sized bets

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: