blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:14:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272573 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Bank rolling - someone who wants to turn pro
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bank rolling - someone who wants to turn pro  (Read 9190 times)
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2015, 12:56:05 AM »

Getting staked or bankrolled at the start of a career is such a bad idea, people need to "learn the trade" and start from the bottom - run it up, going broke, running it up and going broke before getting it right is how you learn, the only way to truly understand and respect money in gambling is to gamble you own money (not saying never to be backed ofc, but time and place). Starting someone out without this is only going to lead to huge problems regarding his approach and attitude to gambling, imo.

Best thing to do with this lad, buy %'s of him in comps and cash games, freeroll him the odd comp when you fancy it, travel to some tourneys with him for a bit of morale. Keep his head level and spirits up, that'll give him the best chance at making a go of poker.

Other problem you have is its almost guaranteed he is not yet a winning poker player (no disrespect intended and I dont know him at all obviously) but it should take a good yr/2 to get to the stage of a winning player - you can't expect to just jump straight in at the top.

Gifting him some money is obviously a nice gesture but I think dripping it to him in drips and drabs as he needs a little boost whilst mostly he plays his own money will be the better system. As it stands he's prolly going to lose the money you've given him Sad
Either way it's a nice gesture - there is an upside for you too as if he does somehow go on to big things you'll doubtless get pieces of action the whole way!

As has been said though ofc it's pretty unlikely, because poker nowadays is so fiercely competitive. I've been playing full time for nearly 7 years, the first two years I was not winning - constantly scrapping about running it up and down and then one day it clicked and I got it going, if I were to attempt again from scratch now with zero money and zero ability I would give myself 3-5% chance of success and I think I would be in top % of people suited to a life in pro poker.

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2015, 12:57:53 AM »

I'd certainly never tell anyone what to do with their money, if they ask for advice then to some degree I think they are permitting me to tell them what I think they should do with their money, but ultimately if they want to build a cash bonfire at the bottom of the garden and set fire to it KLF-style, then that is their right.

If it was a young kid I liked but that was about it, then all of the advice in this thread holds true for exploring situations that might get the balance between providing opportunity and actually having a snowball's chance of working out.  It can't be done.  To donate to him however much money you like is one way out, I don't really see the point, but it is your money after all.

If it was my nephew, and they wanted to open a restaurant, I woudn't buy them a restaurant.  I'd tell them/help them to serve an apprenticeship with a high quality chef for a couple of years, learn all there is to know about all aspects of it and then maybe buy them a restaurant, or take a piece of it.

If it was my nephew and they wanted to become a poker pro, I'd encourage them to serve their apprenticeship, beating small games, use some of the money to buy them subscriptions and build up to the point where they have a demonstrable track record of success and some bankroll behind them, before agreeing to stake them.  I'd try and use the rest of the money to help them find opportunities/pay for training in non-poker careers too.  It's going to be a bleak future for most youngsters starting out in poker nowadays, passing a few exams and getting a £20k job with some career potential is going to be a better move for most.

I don't see that throwing him a pot of money to have a spin with helps anyone here, but as ^^ it is yoru money, your choice, and longer term you aren't hurting anyone outside of the arrangement, so no-one will mind.

great post, agree 100%

shipitgood

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2015, 01:17:00 AM »

Utterly bizarre thread, from wanting to stake someone, and it end's up being a donation/ gift,

OP:PS: This is not a financial decision on my part it is a moral decision on whats best for him.

I really can't see how giving someone a lump of money - are they even a winning player?? - is going to help them if they lose it all, what then?

Really struggling to see how this is genuine, of course there could be something missing from the OP he doesn't want to mention.

There's just something not right about this the various posts totally contradict themselves.

All the advice given has been spot on, play online with your own money build up a bankroll etc etc

If this was genuine surely you'd be telling him to play/ or atleast build up experience to some extent online.

If this is real, and you wanted to help this person giving them this money, gift/ whatever you want to call it, could be causing more damage.

Not to mention it's totally bizarre you'd want to give money to this person, unless of course it was a family member.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2015, 08:50:26 AM »

I'm a start giving money to people I don't like cause it's bad for them..rofl

Give the boy the dosh I say

sola virtus nobilitat
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2015, 03:17:09 PM »

Send him over to Vegas with a lump, imo.

There used to be a very soft 5/10 game at the Venetian...

mikeymike

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2015, 07:37:11 PM »

Utterly bizarre thread, from wanting to stake someone, and it end's up being a donation/ gift,

OP:PS: This is not a financial decision on my part it is a moral decision on whats best for him.

I really can't see how giving someone a lump of money - are they even a winning player?? - is going to help them if they lose it all, what then?

Really struggling to see how this is genuine, of course there could be something missing from the OP he doesn't want to mention.

There's just something not right about this the various posts totally contradict themselves.

All the advice given has been spot on, play online with your own money build up a bankroll etc etc

If this was genuine surely you'd be telling him to play/ or atleast build up experience to some extent online.

If this is real, and you wanted to help this person giving them this money, gift/ whatever you want to call it, could be causing more damage.

Not to mention it's totally bizarre you'd want to give money to this person, unless of course it was a family member.

Bloke turned up at are poker club did not know him that well, during the night he mentioned his van had broken down and was going to be off the road - i said no worries mate i got a spare van you can borrow, i think you might find that kind gestures do not hurt.

I also have invested in many start ups - business plans mean jack shit - its always the people you invest in that count.

Its just the way i am and is probably why i will never be rich like a lot of my mates  - but i do not care life is for living and
UgotNuts

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2015, 08:15:28 PM »

Bloke turned up at are poker club did not know him that well, during the night he mentioned his van had broken down and was going to be off the road - i said no worries mate i got a spare van you can borrow, i think you might find that kind gestures do not hurt.

I also have invested in many start ups - business plans mean jack shit - its always the people you invest in that count.

Its just the way i am and is probably why i will never be rich like a lot of my mates  - but i do not care life is for living and

I think more people should be kind enough to help others if able... Although it does open you up to be exposed.

If your happy in what you are doing after seeking advise in the forum then it must be right for you.
mikeymike

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2015, 08:58:30 PM »

UgotNuts

Been like it all my life use to give other kids my school dinner tickets - only ever been had once - cant say what happened as i would not want to incriminate myself.

Whether your out of work, skint or rich, even people that i really dont like if you help out and it is hurting you to do so you should always try.

We all end up dead at sometime and as far as i know you only get 1 shot at life

Cheers
strak33

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2015, 10:44:27 AM »

Send him over to Vegas with a lump, imo.

There used to be a very soft 5/10 game at the Venetian...

Nailed it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: