blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:20:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Japan
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Japan  (Read 9115 times)
Woodsey

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2015, 11:28:49 PM »

So i guess Boshi is the man here, but anyone else just chime in.

I'm booked up for 12 days in Japland, reckon its going to be great but different.

My only 2 definates are Tokyo and Kyoto, probs 3 days each.

So where else should I go?

Seems to be so many places that are possible.

Hiroshima? Is that just a tick box or is there lots to see other than where the bomb was dropped?

Okninawa  Yeah I know but I love the Karate kid! Plus the beaches look nice and I don't want to do just cities...

Hakone/Fuji? Apparently you can't see the mountain 95% of the time anyway? Worth it?

Osaka- Sounds like small tokyo but good for a night out on the ales but cheaper than Tokyo?

Any suggestions for a mixed up trip with a bit of variation are welcome please?

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 11:52:22 PM »

The bullet train is so expensive that travelling a different way from Tokyo to Kyoto on the way back i.e. via Okinawa is an attractive option rather than just retracing my steps for the same price.
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 12:17:36 AM »

how the fuck have you managed to mistype Japan as 'Japland'. It's two letters longer and infinitely more offensive ffs.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 12:20:09 AM »

how the fuck have you managed to mistype Japan as 'Japland'. It's two letters longer and infinitely more offensive ffs.

Whatever, I can't see anything offensive about it, honestly if there is a nit to pick it will be picked on here FAF  
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 12:22:43 AM by Woodsey » Logged
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 12:26:27 AM »

Whatever, I can't see anything offensive about it, honestly if there is a nit to pick it will be picked on here FAF  

you don't get to decide what other people are offended by. but whatever.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 12:29:04 AM »

you don't get to decide what other people are offended by. but whatever.

Yeah but i get to decide if people are big girls blouses or not   Tongue
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 12:30:41 AM »

i also dont get how thats offensive

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 12:32:36 AM »

Jap is offensive, hence Japland must be offensive? 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 12:33:46 AM »

is Brit Offensive then? 
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 12:38:09 AM »

is Brit Offensive then? 

No, don't take my word for it, read a dictionary, or Wikipedia, or maybe just go to Japan and try shouting it out in a few places?

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 12:40:26 AM »

is Brit Offensive then? 

No, don't take my word for it, read a dictionary, or Wikipedia, or maybe just go to Japan and try shouting it out in a few places?

Well this is the first time I've heard anyone say this in 44 years, so my experience is different to yours...

Anyway, I'd like to know about Japan, a place I am really looking forward to visiting, do you have any info?
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 01:11:04 AM »

I would say comparing Katie Hopkins on Twitter to people about to be killed by ISIS is probably worse, but some people are so easily offended these days, what do I know.......

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 01:14:51 AM »

Alright, I don't want this thread to end up in a big what's acceptable v what isn't thread, if you want to do that start another thread please. Let's stick to travel info here and I'll help you lads out when you are going places I can help with thanks...
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 07:02:16 AM »

Will be back with more info, but definitely have a look at this:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361.html

Not something I could use when I was out there as it's only for those on a tourist visa, but it means you can jump on and off trains and get across the country without worrying about the cost of each journey.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 07:32:36 AM »

Tokyo is massive. I'd argue that three days isn't enough.

You want to go to places like Shinjuku, Shibuya, Harajuku and Ueno to see the standard Tokyo sights and sounds. Like London, each area is different and offers a different experience. It's a busy place, but other than the size and the number of people it's easy to get round. All the signs at the stations are in English as well as Japanese, even out in the sticks. The trains are amazing there, and even though you have heard about how on time they are and how well run it is, it still surprises you!

If you're into your electronics, a trip to Akihabara is a must. Saying that, it could be a lot different now as it was fifteen years since I was there. But it used to be the place to go for the latest consumer electronics stuff and it was an amazing place, especially in the evening when it's all lit up.

When are you going? The best time is Spring or Autumn as the weather is fantastic then and the scenery looks the best. Autumn probably my favourite time there.

Kyoto is a great place to go for the temples and shrines, some of the gardens are amazing. Nara is also good, but you probably don't need to do both.

Osaka is also worth seeing, and more interesting as Japan's second city than Birmingham is here Cheesy

Hiroshima is definitely worth a visit. The Peace Memorial Park and museum is an experience I'd recommend. There's lots more to Hiroshima as well, and again wherever you go there's amazing scenery to enjoy.

Depends exactly what you're after. I was out there for a few years and didn't see all the places I wanted to see, the same as in the UK I guess. I'd say make time to go to an onsen (hot spring baths), ideally one in a mountain area, possibly near Fuji. Even better if you go when there's snow on the ground.

Try and stay in some traditional ryokan as well as western style hotels. I know you like your food, and the food there is amazing. Obviously sushi and sashimi should be on the menu, but there's a massive range of food available.

Never went to Okinawa, but it looks amazing. Quite a journey out to Naha though if you're only there for twelve nights. It's like a different country I've been told.

It's also worth looking at visiting some of the other main islands of Japan. Honshu is the main one where Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto and Hiroshima are. But Hokkaido in the north is breathtaking in terms of the scenery, as are Kyushu and Shikoku. But as your time's limited you might want to stuck to Honshu.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 07:34:27 AM by kinboshi » Logged

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: