blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:55:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Credit card/loyalty card rakeback tips
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Credit card/loyalty card rakeback tips  (Read 1640 times)
Woodsey

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2015, 02:57:03 PM »

Thought it would be good to share any tips people come across to get rakeback on money spent via whatever loyalty scheme.

I'm currently trying trying to get max back with nectar points.

Currently using the sainsburys credit card (deal expired now though I think) think they offered me 8 nectar points for every £1 spent on their card up to a max of £1000 spent each month other 3 months, so a possible 24000 point which is £120. Haven't quite spent a £1000 each month but should get about £100 of it back i reckon.

At the end of this month I will apply for the nectar Amex card, they are offering 20000 points bonus (£100) if you spend £2000 over three months (no card fee for this year also).

Reckon with all the other bits and bobs I spend via sainsburys on petrol and food, much of it for work purposes, I can get £400-500 in rakeback on nectar to spend on hotels for a holiday later in the year.

We shall see.....

Seems a good idea to try and get a few % back if you going to spend the money anyway  Smiley

Anyone else got any good tips/schemes to share?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 02:58:35 PM by Woodsey » Logged
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 03:07:59 PM »

Can't really beat the Santander 123 credit card.

£2 per month fee but you get 1% back on supermarket spend, 2% on department stores and 3% on fuel/trains.

Their 123 current account pays cashback on bills as well (council tax, energy, phone, water) although again you have the £2 fee. It pays 3% interest as well on anything from £3k to £20k.

Camel won't like it but Martin Lewis is yer man http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/?tab=sect4

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 08:35:45 PM »

Looks ok, will follow through with this Amex/nectar promo for now as it's 5% back, will have a look at it after that's done.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 08:42:06 PM »

You get 0% interest for about 2 years as well so you can stick the money in the 3% bank account for 2 years and earn on that.

As long as you're disciplined and don't go spending it you can make a good few hundred.

Worth getting both because you may find that your Amex isn't accepted everywhere.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 08:54:51 PM »

Yeah fair point about the Amex hadn't thought about that.
toddswain

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 09:13:25 PM »

Use Santander 123 account myself for current account, defo the best on market for savings/cash back when you have £3k-£20k

Have tesco clubcard credit card 18 month interest free, works mint for me as we do our shopping at tesco and get double points on petrol and points when you shop outside of tesco
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 02:28:21 PM »

Yeah need a backup for amex, too much shops don't accept it. I have a barclaycard amex and visa. Get more cashback with the amex, but need the visa as a back up.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 02:32:20 PM »

Yeah need a backup for amex, too much shops don't accept it. I have a barclaycard amex and visa. Get more cashback with the amex, but need the visa as a back up.

I need to plan the Amex carefully, if you don't spend £2k over 3 months I dont't think you get anything, looks like and all or nothing deal.
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 08:42:32 PM »

I need to plan the Amex carefully, if you don't spend £2k over 3 months I dont't think you get anything, looks like and all or nothing deal.

I don't have a min spend on mine, but it is with barclaycard that was a migrated account from egg, so whilst I don't get the top rate, I don't have min spends either.

I could get a better rate elsewhere, but I apply for mortgages every year so don't want too many requests for credit on my file
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 10:48:07 PM »

I don't have a min spend on mine, but it is with barclaycard that was a migrated account from egg, so whilst I don't get the top rate, I don't have min spends either.

I could get a better rate elsewhere, but I apply for mortgages every year so don't want too many requests for credit on my file

Well I would only get the card to spend the £2k, get the 5% back and then I would cancel the card as I have other better ones once that initial offer is done.
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 10:59:42 PM »

I had a couple of these rakeback cards a few years ago.

But sometimes it just got silly, buying stuff I didn't need in order to get the max rakeback for the month.

Once bought 100 toilet rolls and ten bottles of washing up liquid!

Got home, decided I was a stupid bastard, cut up 5 credit cards and just kept the two with the lowest interest rate.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 11:15:26 PM »

I had a couple of these rakeback cards a few years ago.

But sometimes it just got silly, buying stuff I didn't need in order to get the max rakeback for the month.

Once bought 100 toilet rolls and ten bottles of washing up liquid!

Got home, decided I was a stupid bastard, cut up 5 credit cards and just kept the two with the lowest interest rate.

To be honest I do that anyway if I see a good deal!! I've just moved house and I have a list of stuff I need to do/buy for it and 2 holidays that hotels etc need booking for, so I just mostly play the game with stuff I will buy anyway.

I go to a lot of effort to make sure I'm getting the best rates for my savings, I just see this as a different way of doing the same thing.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 11:19:14 PM by Woodsey » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: