blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:52:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Odds question
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Odds question  (Read 4308 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: March 02, 2015, 09:50:07 PM »

With two dice, what are the odds of rolling 10 or over?

The older I get, the better I was.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 09:53:44 PM »

6,4 or 5,5 or 4,6 = 10
6,5 or 5,6 =11
6,6 =12

therefore 6 possible combinations from 36 (6 x 6)

so probability of 10 or over = 6/36 or 1/6

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
neeko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 09:57:23 PM »

6+6
6+5
5+6
5+5
6+4
4+6

So 6/36 = 1/6 = 17% ish

There is no problem so bad that a politician cant make it worse.

http://www.dec.org.uk
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 10:03:05 PM »

6,4 or 5,5 or 4,6 = 10
6,5 or 5,6 =11
6,6 =12

therefore 6 possible combinations from 36 (6 x 6)

so probability of 10 or over = 6/36 or 1/6

Thanks. Just what I wanted.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 10:03:51 PM »

6+6
6+5
5+6
5+5
6+4
4+6

So 6/36 = 1/6 = 17% ish

Thanks...  ish.

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 10:08:57 PM »

Watching uni challenge were we ?

sola virtus nobilitat
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 10:16:07 PM »

Watching uni challenge were we ?

Yes, I was surprised by how quick the answer came and my next question was Going to be "How did you work it out?"

Doobs saved me the trouble of asking.

My average University Challenge score is only 8 or 9 correct answers but I've always loved playing along.

I bet you remember Bamber don't you Glen? 

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 10:16:35 PM »

Yes, I was surprised by how quick they answered it. My next question was going to be "How did you work it out?"

My average University Challenge score is only 8 or 9 correct answers but I've always loved playing along.

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 12:08:49 AM »

Yes, I was surprised by how quick they answered it. My next question was going to be "How did you work it out?"

Of course. Love uni challenge.  I compete each Monday on Skype with a thicker blonde member than me to try and make myself feel good Smiley

sola virtus nobilitat
baldock92

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 01:43:08 AM »

8 or 9 is practically genius. I'm usually celebrating if i've got 3

Feed em rice.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 09:19:18 AM »

Well I say 8 or 9, Jezza, Paxman would probably only allow about 5 of them.

Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 10:03:01 AM »

This is one of those weird spots where someone can claim that playing dice is good for you!  I mean, I could claim that reading a degree in statistics was good for me, but I'd have a hard job getting that one through.

With 2 dice, the most likely outcome is a 7 with 6 possible ways to roll.  Next equally likely is a 6 or an 8 with 5 ways to roll.  Then a 5 or a 9 with 4 ways to roll.  Then a 4 or a 10 with 3 ways to roll.  Then a 3 or an 11 with 2 ways to roll.  Then a 2 or a 12 with 1 way to roll.  Nice bit of symmetry, quickly reproduced if you can remember there are 6 ways to roll a 7.  (Which makes sense, as essentially whatever the first dice lands on, there is a possibility to make a 7 if the other dice obliges.)

With that starting knowledge, you can quickly solve what looks like tough questions. 

Such as what is the house edge of betting a 6 when it pays 7/6?  The true odds are 6/5 (6 ways to roll a 7 versus 5 ways to roll a 6) and the difference is edge to the house.

Or an easier example, fore-warned that true odds of rolling that 12 is 35/1 you can approach a dice table offering you 30/1 and decide if it is a bet you should make.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 10:20:12 AM »

This is one of those weird spots where someone can claim that playing dice is good for you!  I mean, I could claim that reading a degree in statistics was good for me, but I'd have a hard job getting that one through.

With 2 dice, the most likely outcome is a 7 with 6 possible ways to roll.  Next equally likely is a 6 or an 8 with 5 ways to roll.  Then a 5 or a 9 with 4 ways to roll.  Then a 4 or a 10 with 3 ways to roll.  Then a 3 or an 11 with 2 ways to roll.  Then a 2 or a 12 with 1 way to roll.  Nice bit of symmetry, quickly reproduced if you can remember there are 6 ways to roll a 7.  (Which makes sense, as essentially whatever the first dice lands on, there is a possibility to make a 7 if the other dice obliges.)

With that starting knowledge, you can quickly solve what looks like tough questions. 

Such as what is the house edge of betting a 6 when it pays 7/6?  The true odds are 6/5 (6 ways to roll a 7 versus 5 ways to roll a 6) and the difference is edge to the house.

Or an easier example, fore-warned that true odds of rolling that 12 is 35/1 you can approach a dice table offering you 30/1 and decide if it is a bet you should make.

I love Simon. (Except when I'm on a plane trying to sleep) He explains things so well and with such enthusiasm. He knows stuff, and he knows he knows stuff. It's infectious and invigorating.

bookiebasher

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 11:27:39 AM »

The topic about dice brought back many fond memories of this game...http://www.rgl.wa.gov.au/ResourceFiles/Gaming/rules_unders_and_overs.pdf

After reading a book on various gambling games I went to school prepared to be the "bank"

I had some money saved up from share dealing and thought I would share my enthusiasm for

gambling with my fellow classmates , as long as I was the bank Wink

Probably 98% of all the bets I took were on under or over and after a couple of weeks there was a considerable
crowd gathering to watch during break or study times. Obviously I was a little green behind the ears and soon
allowed credit bets after they had done their dinner money. That was the beginning of the end 

One particular afternoon a lad no one liked ran up a tab and for a rare moment everyone was cheering on the
"bookie". Unfortunately the noise disturbed one of the teachers , Mr Dwelly , a geography teacher who was a wrong un.

When everyone saw the door opening from his room it was as if a raging bull was going to emerge and it was every boy for himself , fleeing to any hideout you could find. I regret to this day I got stuck behind the fat lad trying to squeeze out the door with 10 others.

Now if it had been Mr Johnson , the economics teacher , I would have been alright and maybe even increased my turnover
by a considerable sum but alas , it was the grumpy sod.

Although the game continued for a while after my interrogation it had to be a select few , those not afraid of a "Dwelly" blow up.

Never did get 80% of the money owed , never did learn to not give a bit of tick.

Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 12:59:02 PM »

I love Simon. (Except when I'm on a plane trying to sleep) He explains things so well and with such enthusiasm. He knows stuff, and he knows he knows stuff. It's infectious and invigorating.

I should have been a teacher or something.  I mean, I should have done something  Pretty sure you have more to teach me Tom than the other way around, just different exposures in life so far, I suppose.  We'll have a man hug next time we meet anyway 

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: