blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:09:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Best cure for a long losing cash session?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best cure for a long losing cash session?  (Read 2716 times)
ABO151

View Profile
« on: March 11, 2015, 08:18:22 PM »

...we've all had them (I guess) - where no matter how well you play it is just not your night....morning! Often this is mirrored by someone who just cant miss - a certain Frenchman last night/today live at a card room in London (not just versus me but versus everyone, well was case when I called it a day - probaly too late btw) - all my premiums correctly played (I honestly think) but losing bit pots to your likes of KJ, JQ,44 and twice! Ace 5 off...apart from a good nights sleep - what is best cure? A few days off or back on the horse? I have tried to think of how differently I could have played my kings and queens etc but I just think I got super unlucky - e.g. his ace 5 hitting a 5 on river versus my queens in a multi way pot pre when every other draw missed ....c'est la vie as le villain probably is thinking - I could have been seen muttering another French expression as I left after a nother big pot defeat

PS I then played a quick cash game on line on stars and ran it twice 10s v AK and lost both so will be not donating any more today and would probaly thus not advocate the getting straight back on the horse theory....

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 08:30:04 PM »

Only advice I can give is don't play until you have accepted that the money has gone and reset to having the current bankroll, even if it means dropping down.  Any thoughts of trying to win it back quickly can be very bad for your game.
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 09:00:43 PM »

Only advice I can give is don't play until you have accepted that the money has gone and reset to having the current bankroll, even if it means dropping down.  Any thoughts of trying to win it back quickly can be very bad for your game.

Yeah this. It is a mostly personal thing. Some pros play with no stop loss and do well, others are much nittier. Just remember in all but the most exceptional of circumstances the game you play will always be around tomorrow, and if it isn't then you are just inviting a swing which might affect your.mental state long enough that the original game becomes pretty meh in terms of ev, especially if it has a chance of affecting your ability to be rolled for your main grind.

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 11:07:41 PM »

...we've all had them (I guess) - where no matter how well you play it is just not your night....morning! Often this is mirrored by someone who just cant miss - a certain Frenchman last night/today live at a card room in London (not just versus me but versus everyone, well was case when I called it a day - probaly too late btw) - all my premiums correctly played (I honestly think) but losing bit pots to your likes of KJ, JQ,44 and twice! Ace 5 off...apart from a good nights sleep - what is best cure? A few days off or back on the horse? I have tried to think of how differently I could have played my kings and queens etc but I just think I got super unlucky - e.g. his ace 5 hitting a 5 on river versus my queens in a multi way pot pre when every other draw missed ....c'est la vie as le villain probably is thinking - I could have been seen muttering another French expression as I left after a nother big pot defeat

PS I then played a quick cash game on line on stars and ran it twice 10s v AK and lost both so will be not donating any more today and would probaly thus not advocate the getting straight back on the horse theory....

IMO, you need to adjust your thinking, & quickly.

Poker is much more than knowing what moves to make, & when, that's only half the game. It's as much about how you deal with the inevitable - & they are inevitable - losses, setbacks & reverses.

Every single session you play - ever - you are gonna suffer a few outdraws. Nothing is to be gained by dwelling on them, or looking back. You lost, it's unjust, get over it. It's going to happen every single session you ever play, for the rest of your life. Mental strength & character are very important.

If we could win 6 out of 10 even money shots over 100,000 hands we'd be quids in. But we have to man up & accept we are going to lose 4 out of 10.

When we suckout on others - & we do - do you rationalise that, & say "yikes, I got lucky tonight?"

You might try reading "The Mental Game of Poker". I think it'll do you the world of good, & it's just as important as knowing pot odds & all that stuff.

All imo.

Good luck.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
shipitgood

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 12:30:03 AM »

I would wait till you are in a fresh frame of mind, if you go into a session thinking "how bad am I running, i'm going to lose" it's almost a self fulfilling prophecy.

Imo, confidence is everything in poker.

Have a break for a few days, or if you are going to play maybe drop down a level to book some winning sessions/ build up your confidence again.
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 02:40:03 AM »

I think stop losses are very interesting.

Even if I'm in a good game I will sometimes quit if I'm down a certain amount. I might not even feel tilted or be playing any differently but I think other players react to you better when you're losing and it also means that they are usually winner and playing near their best game.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
ABO151

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 06:16:57 PM »

Thanks all for feedback - some good comments - @Tikay I dont let it or the swings get me down sir but I have been meaning to give that book a go so a good shout thanks. Definitely agree with the stop loss limit concept too - I think that works just as well on winning sessions too as seeing a 2k profit dwindled to say a £500 profit hurts more than turning a losing one to break even imo - in fact nothing more satisfying than turning a deficit to break even or small profit...which is what the plan was the other night...!

I slept well and woke up in early hours and gave stars £1-£2 a spin but excercised a stop loss / ''its not my time so will stop now'' strategy after following pot when I though for once I'd broken the premium hand (and yeah yeah I know the call pre was dubious) - you gotta laugh...take a look;

http://t.co/Vbx3AagKqY

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 02:55:08 PM »

Best thing for a losing session is booking a win, I know it sounds obvious and a bit facetious but really the VERY best thing to do after a big losing session is just get some green on the board. Play smaller, shorter sessions and really try lock up/book a win in the next time you play, will do your mindset the absolute world of good Smiley

Nothing feels quite as good as winning

cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 03:29:52 PM »

I've never used an official stop loss. I have an amount I'm comfortable losing and any more than that would have to be exceptional situations - feeling 100% fine and amazing game.

When I quit games is 99% based around how good the game is and how I'm feeling, how well I'm playing etc.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: