blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:58:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  "Germanwings" A320 crashes in France
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Germanwings" A320 crashes in France  (Read 20827 times)
Junior Senior

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2015, 04:19:01 PM »

Watched the BBC 1 o clock news and they referred to it as mass murder
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2015, 06:01:54 PM »

Do we say it's not murder when there is a school mass shooting in the US and then the gunman kills himself?   Surely they have diminished responsibility as well in that case.

It's a short haul flight - he's made a decision to involve the passengers rather than end it all before or after the flight.  He's a murderer in my eyes, irrespective of how the court might view it technically.

So it was suicide then, and it is ok for the media to use that term?

I don't really understand your point.  I'm fine with them using the word suicide as long as they focus on the fact that he murdered 150 people at the same time.
Ash1591

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2015, 05:24:36 PM »

This story is so sickening to be fair feel sorry for the families.
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2015, 03:22:19 PM »

Some of the reports are surely not giving you the truth? The plane is constantly descending & surely passengers must realise by simply looking out of the window? Not to mention that when the pilot is trying to knock the door down, they must realise?

Yet there is numerous media stories telling us that they only knew at the very last moment. I think they most have been worried in the last few minutes...

Just seen on the news about he's also been previously treated for depression
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2015, 04:23:08 PM »

Some of the reports are surely not giving you the truth? The plane is constantly descending & surely passengers must realise by simply looking out of the window? Not to mention that when the pilot is trying to knock the door down, they must realise?

Yet there is numerous media stories telling us that they only knew at the very last moment. I think they most have been worried in the last few minutes...

Just seen on the news about he's also been previously treated for depression

Not relevant. If he'd previously been treated for cancer, you wouldn't consider that to be a causal factor. Depression doesn't cause the sort of irrational thinking that leads to ploughing a plane full of people into a mountain. There are other mental health issues that could cause that sort of behaviour, but Depression is a red herring here.
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2015, 07:17:58 PM »

Unless you were sat very near the front you would have had no clue, until the Captain started making a lot of noise/trying to break the door down. The decent to crash all happened in 8 mins, give Captain 2 mins for his toilet break/chatting up stewardess this leaves 6mins max of anyone having a clue, I'm guessing it took another couple of minutes before the Captain thought anything was wrong, plenty of other causes for not being able to open the door and the FO to not be able to open it straight away.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
Pinchop73

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2015, 08:04:13 PM »

Media not telling the ugly truth? Surely not

First they came for the nits, and I did not speak out because I was not a nit
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2015, 09:26:19 PM »

Much as it pains me to say so, if ever there was a case of the Mail and Aaron telling the ugly truth this is it.

Males with a history of depression are massively over represented in the statistics for murder suicide.  Of course there is likely to be a nicer way of saying it than the way the Mail chooses (I haven't read their coverage at all), but that doesn't mean they haven't stumbled on the right conclusion. 

This isn't to say that people with a history of depression shouldn't be allowed to fly planes, the number of incidents like this are always going to be tiny.  And this doesn't mean that somebody with no documented history of depression is going to commit a murder suicide, just that they are significantly less likely to do so.

FWIW I dare say there isn't a similar link between cancer and murder suicide. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2015, 09:31:58 PM »

Much as it pains me to say so, if ever there was a case of the Mail and Aaron telling the ugly truth this is it.

Males with a history of depression are massively over represented in the statistics for murder suicide.  Of course there is likely to be a nicer way of saying it than the way the Mail chooses (I haven't read their coverage at all), but that doesn't mean they haven't stumbled on the right conclusion. 

This isn't to say that people with a history of depression shouldn't be allowed to fly planes, the number of incidents like this are always going to be tiny.  And this doesn't mean that somebody with no documented history of depression is going to commit a murder suicide, just that they are significantly less likely to do so.

Wasn't there a country which made it illegal to prosecute people who were terminally ill?

There quickly followed a crime wave from sick people.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2015, 11:04:59 PM »

Wasn't there a country which made it illegal to prosecute people who were terminally ill?

It was a 1993 law in Italy giving immunity to people who had contracted AIDS.

http://articles.latimes.com/1995-08-28/news/mn-39765_1_aids-law

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2015, 11:10:04 PM »

It wouldn't surprise me.

Back ariund the time I started work there was a period where people were able to apply for life insurance without given any medical details so long as the application was made in connection with a mortgage.  This meant the mortgage process was speeded up and the theory was that those people who were going to die soon wouldn't be applying for mortgages or buying houses.

The terminally ill were quick enough to spot that opportunity, and if they didn't see the opportunity, some financial advisors quickly worked out where they could find some easy sales.  

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2015, 10:27:32 PM »

News outlets reporting that mobile phone coverage has been found videoing the last moments before the crash. Seems the passengers knew what was about to happen to them.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2015, 10:29:22 PM »

News outlets reporting that mobile phone coverage has been found videoing the last moments before the crash. Seems the passengers knew what was about to happen to them.

I hope that footage never gets leaked or shown.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2015, 10:34:01 PM »

I hope that footage never gets leaked or shown.

It'll definitely get leaked at some point if it hasn't already. The blackbox audio and pictures have already been leaked as it is.

Hoped that these poor passengers had no idea of what was about to happen, but seems they must have known for a good few seconds or even upto a couple of minutes.
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2015, 11:16:52 PM »

There's pictures of remains easily available on the Internet. If there is video's around, they won't be hard to get.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: