blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:01:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272539 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blackfish
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blackfish  (Read 3776 times)
GreekStein

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2015, 02:03:56 PM »

I watched a documentary today called 'Blackfish'. I watched on Netflix but it's also on youtube if anyone wants to check it out. The documentary wasn't amazing but it was a little eye opening.

I went to Seaworld Orlando as part of a Disneyworld trip when I was 5 years old and everywhere I go I love to visit things that involve wildlife.

I've been Camel riding in Cyprus, I've ridden an elephant in Thailand (no easy jokes pls), I've cuddled up to an urangutang. I've been in a pool with crocodiles. I've been on a night safari, to a bird show etc etc etc and every time I've really enjoyed the experience and the animals are just so awesome but at the same time it leaves me feeling uncomfortable. In some countries, animals are given a fair amount of space but in places like Thailand that stuff largely goes out of the window. Mistreatment doesn't just have to be physical abuse. The animals are given way less space, separated from their mothers etc. They are also sedated and probably are in a few of the pics I have below.

Do people here think there's nothing wrong with what organisations like seaworld do? Do some of you always steer clear of these places on holiday? Maybe I'm just very selfish because even though I might not agree with certain things that happen and should ultimately not go, I do anyway. Generally interested in people's thoughts on this stuff.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 02:09:06 PM by TightEnd » Logged

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 02:11:55 PM »

very good film indeed. changed my attitude towards such places

the tiger picture. you were happy to be photographed next to an animal chained by the neck? i don't know the circumstances of the animal or the place but i think i would baulk at it.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 02:26:21 PM »

very good film indeed. changed my attitude towards such places

the tiger picture. you were happy to be photographed next to an animal chained by the neck? i don't know the circumstances of the animal or the place but i think i would baulk at it.

I was less happy on my next visit to that zoo when I saw how fucking small it's enclosure was when it wasn't sedated and out for pics. I've stayed in bigger bedrooms than the place that tiger had to move around in.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 02:34:30 PM »

Watched it when it first came out, and found it very interesting, but it didn't seem very objective.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 07:34:42 PM »

Was previosuly thinking about visiting the Elephant 'sanctuary' in Bali this July.  We read up on it, and won't be visiting it.

Like you say, it's a tough decision as it's amazing to see this animals close up, but its also wrong for them to be maltreated.  I'm not against zoos at all, as they carry out important conservation work and also it's not always cruel to keep an animal in captivity (as long as they're given room and the right conditions, etc.).  Living in the wild isn't usually a walk in the park (to mix my analogies), always the chance of starvation or being eaten for most animals.

Got to do what your conscience dictates I guess, after you've read up and have some knowledge of the facts of course.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
BorntoBubble

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 09:35:54 PM »

cheers for this, i agree its a difficult balance between zoo's and no zoo's due to the funding and the awareness they bring.

I have no idea of the solution, but i do think that fit and healthy animals should never be taken away from the wild anymore, there is no need.

"ace high"

http://plascolwyn.co.uk/ - 9 Bed Self Catering Holiday let in Snowdonia, North Wales Pm for more details.

Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CalMorgan7
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 10:41:22 AM »

cheers for this, i agree its a difficult balance between zoo's and no zoo's due to the funding and the awareness they bring.

I have no idea of the solution, but i do think that fit and healthy animals should never be taken away from the wild anymore, there is no need.

Conservation, breeding, protecting from poachers, and habitat destruction - they're all reasons fit and healthy animals could be taken out of the wild.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 10:49:02 AM »

Haha, my phone changed conservation to conversation. That's probably not a reason Cheesy

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: