blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:03:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272577 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Forgotten Bands...
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Forgotten Bands...  (Read 9624 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2015, 10:42:38 AM »

Post the name and picture of a band that you liked but most of us would have forgotten

any era, any genre

stories welcome

you tubes welcome

i will start

as a teenager of the 80s i bought the first album of this lot. on vinyl. still have it (which prompted this thread)

The Immaculate Fools.

liked this song in the mid 80s. they were two sets of brothers from kent, who released six albums before splitting up in the late 1990s

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
The Wycher

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 05:27:52 PM »

The The

First saw infected video album after night out while still living at my parents. My dad and brother didn't get it and went to bed. Still my fav band.

Unfortunately no idea how to put anything up. Anyone able to help.
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 05:29:51 PM »

The The

First saw infected video album after night out while still living at my parents. My dad and brother didn't get it and went to bed. Still my fav band.

Unfortunately no idea how to put anything up. Anyone able to help.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 05:32:06 PM by redsimon » Logged

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 05:33:13 PM »

One of the best back in the day...

http://youtu.be/dQw4w9WgXcQ
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 05:33:54 PM »

Saw Goodbye Mr Mackenzie at Edinburgh Uni in '88, surprised they weren't bigger:

« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 05:35:54 PM by Longines » Logged
bergeroo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 02:52:13 AM »

Shirley Manson from Goodbye Mr McKenzie ended up doing alright for herself though!

The thing about The The is that they are the worst band in the world to find anything on the internet about. Second place in this list is The Music.

Tighty - I don't know that band, I liked it. I'm going to ask my friend James about them, he is my 80s New Romantic/goth friend!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 03:17:00 AM by bergeroo » Logged
bergeroo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 03:13:12 AM »

I finally found my thread on Blonde! I could make 100 posts in this thread.

At The Drive-In

Saw this band play at Reading Festival. I'm guessing in 2000. I was working as a steward. It was a good gig, you got in for free, got paid a bit and got nice camping and showers. I'm manage to wangle it so I was working in the tent when they played. It was the New Bands tent, the smallest one. I remember there was a fair buzz about them. Their breakthrough and as it turns out final album Relationship of Command was either out or about to come out.

Anyhow. When they came on the whole tent went absolutely crazy, it was packed anyway and people started clambering up things, and generally going mental. After about half a song of trying to stop people climbing up things, there was so much energy,  I thought -  forget this, took of my hi vis tabard and went down the front. Amazing show.

I was fully expecting to get fired but in the chaos I guess nobody saw that I had abandoned post.

This video is one of the most shambolic TV performances I've ever seen, but to me it adds to the song and makes it even better. Amazing television

The band went on indefinite hiatus shortly after and basically split into two. Members being in other banks such as Sparta, Mars Volta and Bosnian Rainbows. But none of them have got close to this anytime since.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 03:17:40 AM »

Manchester's finest

I remember thinking this lot would be massive.  Guess the World wasn't ready for UK rap groups at the time.  540 views on youtube, Tikay gets more than that.  

By contrast, tens of milions have watched N Dubz...
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 03:20:56 AM by Doobs » Logged

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
teamonkey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 08:06:04 AM »

Slightly bigger rap group that never really broke the uk market
https://youtu.be/5J_qadIwM60
Redsgirl

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 11:30:54 AM »

I finally found my thread on Blonde! I could make 100 posts in this thread.

At The Drive-In

Saw this band play at Reading Festival. I'm guessing in 2000. I was working as a steward. It was a good gig, you got in for free, got paid a bit and got nice camping and showers. I'm manage to wangle it so I was working in the tent when they played. It was the New Bands tent, the smallest one. I remember there was a fair buzz about them. Their breakthrough and as it turns out final album Relationship of Command was either out or about to come out.

Anyhow. When they came on the whole tent went absolutely crazy, it was packed anyway and people started clambering up things, and generally going mental. After about half a song of trying to stop people climbing up things, there was so much energy,  I thought -  forget this, took of my hi vis tabard and went down the front. Amazing show.

I was fully expecting to get fired but in the chaos I guess nobody saw that I had abandoned post.

This video is one of the most shambolic TV performances I've ever seen, but to me it adds to the song and makes it even better. Amazing television

The band went on indefinite hiatus shortly after and basically split into two. Members being in other banks such as Sparta, Mars Volta and Bosnian Rainbows. But none of them have got close to this anytime since.

Great post! More please.

If a man speaks in a forest and no woman is there to hear him, is he still wrong?
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 01:34:04 PM »

Slightly bigger rap group that never really broke the uk market
https://youtu.be/5J_qadIwM60

Surprised you didn't pick this one

Michael Franti has been around a long time, so if he never realoly broke he definitely had staying powwer.

I saw his first band, Beatnigs supporting Billy Bragg with now infamous bigot, Michelle Shocked back in 1988.  I have also seen Spearhead too, but Disposable Heroes weren't round long enough for me to see them.  Fact, I maanaged to buy records by both Disposably Heroes and Spearhead without realising the connection between them and the previous incarnations.  Doubt you could do that in the days of the internet.  I did think Disposible Heroes were a lot like the previous band I had seen after seeing them on TV, and after buying the record, but you couldn't just google it back then.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 01:42:28 PM »

Used to listen to a band called Radical Dance Faction (or RDF) quite a lot in my younger days.   They were mostly pre-internet so there wasn't that much available on them and all my old albums were on cassette but there seems to be a bit on youtube these days and they seem to have made a bit of a comeback.

Taken from Wiki
Radical Dance Faction (RDF) were founded by Chris Bowsher in Hungerford in 1986, and were originally known as 'Military Surplus'. The band experienced many line up changes, with at least eighteen different people having been part of the band at one time or another. Chris is the only person who has been in every line up of the band.[1]

RDF's music combines punk, dub, and ska, while Bowsher's lyrics, spoken rather than sung, dealt mainly with political issues, such as the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 in the song "Chinese Poem". Bowsher also witnessed first hand the Hungerford massacre, describing his experience in the song "Hot on the Wire".

RDF were a regular act on the UK free festival scene prior to the 1994 Criminal Justice Act, and were part of the crusties and anarcho punk movement until they called it day in the mid 1990s. The band reformed in 2006, and played various festivals around the UK during 2007.

At the height of their fame in the early 1990s, the band made at least two tours of Germany. One tour was as the support act to Rebel MC but they also supported Ziggy Marley at one point. RDF appeared at the huge Summerjam festival in July 1993.

They appeared at The Bearded Theory festival in Derby on Sunday 20 May 2012. The band commenced a short tour in October 2012 to promote their new album - Ammunition.

Here's them live in 1993

« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 01:45:58 PM by Graham C » Logged

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 01:52:41 PM »

from the NME

50 forgotten '90s bands who prove '90s indie wasn't just about Oasis and Blur

http://nmem.ag/AAdHs 

Jogs a few memories!

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 02:11:10 PM »

Kingmaker: Early '90s Hull trio Kingmaker were feted by the music press for a while, but soon seemed like the naffest thing in the world soon after their moment in the sun.

Read more at http://www.nme.com/photos/50-forgotten-90s-bands-who-prove-90s-indie-wasn-t-just-about-oasis-and-blur/348677?recache=36&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=90sgallery#TLuKIpxtaro8rJmA.99

I loved Kingmaker!!

Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 02:20:38 PM »

You've got me started now.

New Fast Automatic Daffodils

Another Manchester band, a lot more funky than most but with the undoubtable Manchester sound from that era..  Wiki entry - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Fast_Automatic_Daffodils

Their Peel Sessions album would be a great introduction for you but here's the wonderfully titled Jaggerbog single

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: