blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:24:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  The demise of Sit and Goes
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The demise of Sit and Goes  (Read 2963 times)
Doobs

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2016, 11:56:47 AM »

I was looking at sharkscope this morning and discovered I had a new star.  I am now officially 16th in the table for sit and goes for the year for UK players on any network.

I just play a few nlo8 hypers and my volume isn't massive, I have obviously run well, though the MTTs have made me negative overall.

What struck me is that I only needed £600 to reach this level after 2 weeks.  That is pretty much in line with minimum wage in this country assuming a normal working week.  There are only 9 people who have made more than £500 a week in the whole UK from sit and goes.  

I realise that a few people exclude themselves, escpecially heads up players, and I am ignoring rakeback, but it is still a sorry state of affairs.  Back in the day, there must have been tens of people from the UK on Betfair alone making more money from sit and goes.  There must have been quite a few 9 and 6 man sit and goes with a prize fund of that much run every hour.  People were sitting in several £60 6 man turbos at a time.  

I presume the long decline of sit and goes has just been hastened by the changes in rakeback on stars and the rise of spin and goes.  Unless you are one of the very few heads up gurus then it seems that you have to play MTTs or cash to make a decent living from poker these days.  Or is there a big chunk of spin and go winners who are still making a decent living, but are hidden from me?

Edit, just realised they are ignoring Sky, and possible some others where location is unkonwn, and there are a handful on Sky who have made over $1k who are likely to be from the UK.  I don't think it changes much in my argument though.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 12:01:47 PM by Doobs » Logged

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 12:29:52 PM »

I was browsing the multi table sit and gos on pokerstars last night and was surprised at the lack of 90 man and 180 man ones.

Also could find no capped MTTs ie 360 and 500s

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 02:35:03 PM »

Thin

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 03:02:25 PM »

Thin

Definitely not up overall.  This is not an uncommon experience these days.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 03:03:57 PM »

betfair's stt's now are capped at 100 euros max buy in on i poker for anything non heads up.  Truely comical and the 100s hardly ever run.  I played a few the other night and the traffic was terrible and all colluding/cheating regs.  No wonder the game has died.

I remember the years when £500 sterling 10 handed stts used to run every 10 minutes with £2500 for the winner.  Me and you must have played a few of those together Doobs back in the day with Ianz and buzzer amongst others.

I think there are still plenty of winners but virtually everyone you sharkscope at any non micro level now hides their stats almost automatically.
MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 03:21:35 PM »

Win-rates are generally too thin these days - games are raked too high and are too reg infested. 9-mans are raked the same as they were 11 years ago when a 20% ROI was achievable vs a 1% ROI being a decent ROI now. 180-mans have died for the same reason, 10% ROI is good vs 30% being good 6 years ago. Spin and gos have been the final nail in the coffin.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal"
http://www.atkinator.net ..... @epitomised
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 03:22:19 PM »

I stopped playing them daily on a volume basis in 2012.  Probably 12-18 months too late tbh.  Scary looking back at my old records the amount of them i used to play and the volume of rake i used to pay every day.  Where did all the money come from back then?  
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 03:53:14 PM »

betfair's stt's now are capped at 100 euros max buy in on i poker for anything non heads up.  Truely comical and the 100s hardly ever run.  I played a few the other night and the traffic was terrible and all colluding/cheating regs.  No wonder the game has died.

I remember the years when £500 sterling 10 handed stts used to run every 10 minutes with £2500 for the winner.  Me and you must have played a few of those together Doobs back in the day with Ianz and buzzer amongst others.

I think there are still plenty of winners but virtually everyone you sharkscope at any non micro level now hides their stats almost automatically.

Got a handful of £500 ones on my record, certainly wasn't something I did every 10 minutes.  Those £60 turbos definitely sparked up very quickly (I think Heffernan was first in most, think he was Hans? Vog).  I remember winning a £9k pot 6 months after starting playing cash, and thinking I'd be going right to the top.  I never played a bigger one.  Over time the top has come to me, I played the most $60-$100 O8 STTs of anyone on stars.  Think it was about 170 over a whole year.

Gazza

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 07:22:34 PM »

Aren't they almost solved?
Ragz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 11:16:07 AM »

There are shedloads of Brits making huge amounts still in SnG's, but it doesn't take alot to get on a LB in the first two weeks of the year lol. Also many players have their stats blocked.
Nakor
Tinca Tinca

Serve the spider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 05:38:37 PM »

I was browsing the multi table sit and gos on pokerstars last night and was surprised at the lack of 90 man and 180 man ones.

Also could find no capped MTTs ie 360 and 500s

Could not believe the 16.50 x 360 has gone. She will be missed.

Shit post Nakor, such a clown.

What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 06:05:34 PM »

There are shedloads of Brits making huge amounts still in SnG's, but it doesn't take alot to get on a LB in the first two weeks of the year lol. Also many players have their stats blocked.

What is a LB and what does having your stats blocked mean please?

The older I get, the better I was.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 06:23:23 PM »

leaderboard

sharkscope stats blocked or unblocked

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 06:25:01 PM »

The general public cant go on the website sharkscope.com Tom and look at your profit and loss history from playing STT's to determine whether you might be the value or shark in any given game in you have blocked your stats.  Most pros block them to stop people seeing how much they have won.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 06:38:22 PM by arbboy » Logged
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 06:28:49 PM »

Thanks Guys Smiley

The older I get, the better I was.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: