blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:03:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272591 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 996 997 998 999 [1000] 1001 1002 1003 1004 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2195368 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14985 on: November 14, 2018, 09:19:26 PM »

Article 14(4) of the backstop is... something.

Seems to say: ECJ and European Commission to have jurisdiction in the UK in respect of the EU customs code, technical regulations, VAT and excise, agriculture and the environment, single electricity market and state aid.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #14986 on: November 14, 2018, 09:28:15 PM »

Is there a chance that some Labour MP’s might help May get the deal through Parliament?

I’m sure there were talks with some of them.

Might be a red herring?

With incredible whipping of the tories , might  get away with 30 ish Lab MP’s to vote with her....maybe not totally out of the question when it comes to the crunch.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14987 on: November 14, 2018, 09:30:08 PM »

Theresa May says it's her deal or "no deal or no Brexit at all".

Think this is the first time in two years she has said "no Brexit at all" as an option

My eyes are open wide
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #14988 on: November 14, 2018, 11:58:08 PM »

Is there a chance that some Labour MP’s might help May get the deal through Parliament?

Might be a red herring?

Am I missing something?

Expect this to float through.

Only half the expected Tories will.vote it down and most Labour will vote it through?
Why wouldn't they? They want in on the back of this not before.

Or the end of the world.

Boris to announce on Monday it was all part of the plan. He was just pretending.

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #14989 on: November 15, 2018, 01:30:30 AM »

It isn't that had too skim through, as there isn't a lot of text on each page.  Dare say most of those commenting today haven't bothered to try.

Cliffs

Looks like fishing continues on as before for now.
Customs Union carries on for now.
EU citizens will have a right to live here and we have a right to carry on living in the EU.  I think it is at least 5 years from the end of transition.  I should check but I can't be arsed to reread it all. 
There are annexes on Northern Ireland, Gibraltar and UK air bases in Cyprus.  Think there are bilateral "committees" formed to solve all these things, I think with EU and UK equal representation.  If you want to read them, think the Northern Ireland one starts around page 300.
There is a lot of specific stuff we have to pay for that is detailed within it; pensions, EU budget until 2020, ECB, payments already agreed to Turkey etc.  I didn't see anything referring to payments for "little or nothing" as Jacob Rees Mogg and Farage would have you believe.
Flights will still fly, trade will be on current terms for now. 
Customs looks the same, we can go to Europe without visas for the foreseeable.
I struggled to find anything that specific on financial services, though there is a chunk on the European central bank.
There is the formation of a group of 25 arbitrators to resolve disputes, 10 from each side, and 5 jointly proposed (see article 169 to 171).  This is narrowed down to 5 when they are called upon.  Nobody in Government is allowed and they are supposed to be scrupliously independent.  This doesn't strke me as the EU dictating to us.
The Court of Jutice of the European Uniond remains the highest legal athority, but that doesn't mean we get fucked over for no reason, they just interpret laws, and don't get involved in politics and posturing on the TV.
There are lots of lists of regs that still apply, I obviously haven't checked them all!

Some of this could be inaccurate, as it is late and I skimmed it while playing badly at poker.  Suspect these things were connected. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #14990 on: November 15, 2018, 02:01:41 AM »

Will we stave or is there enough tinned peaches to save us?
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #14991 on: November 15, 2018, 08:01:22 AM »

Nothing on peaches; we only need them if we get to the Rees Mogg land of milk and honey that will kick in if this is rejected.  He doesn't mention that of course, just focusses on the things he doesn't like in this deal.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #14992 on: November 15, 2018, 08:06:34 AM »

Might be a red herring?

Am I missing something?

Expect this to float through.

Only half the expected Tories will.vote it down and most Labour will vote it through?
Why wouldn't they? They want in on the back of this not before.

Or the end of the world.

Boris to announce on Monday it was all part of the plan. He was just pretending.

I think what Labour MPs do is gonna be the most j retesting element on this. If Corbyn and McDonnell and the like can overcome their expressed desire to force a general election then they could probably say this substantially meets their 6 tests and vote it through. After all, leave is close to their personal beliefs, they voted for article 50 and are keen to follow the ref result. May be there will be some arch remainers that vote it down. Personally I'd love to see starmer stand there and say this meets their 6 nebulous tests.

sola virtus nobilitat
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #14993 on: November 15, 2018, 08:14:20 AM »

Good morning,

Looks like TM has a found a Brexit so soft that the peaches are safe, for a while at least. Now the Tory and DUP nutters get to say their piece.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #14994 on: November 15, 2018, 08:25:49 AM »

Good morning,

Looks like TM has a found a Brexit so soft that the peaches are safe, for a while at least. Now the Tory and DUP nutters get to say their piece.

It is only very soft in the short term; a lot of this stuff is temporary, such as the right to remain for EU and UK citizens.  You won't have a right to work in France forever if you rock up there in 4 years time.   I think there was a five year residence rule. 

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #14995 on: November 15, 2018, 09:01:52 AM »

Raab resigned......can’t back her deal.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #14996 on: November 15, 2018, 09:13:02 AM »

Somewhere im England there is a big sigh as a man starts putting his tinned peaches back on the shelf...

Surely it is his deal??

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #14997 on: November 15, 2018, 09:17:53 AM »

Somewhere im England there is a big sigh as a man starts putting his tinned peaches back on the shelf...

Surely it is his deal??

Don’t think he would have resigned if he was happy and got what he wanted, sounds like it’s TMs way or the highway.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14998 on: November 15, 2018, 09:35:28 AM »

Three leading Leavers were ministers at DEXEU Davis, Baker and Raab.

They had ministerial responsibility for negotiating terms of exit - not Remainers.

And now all three have resigned, leaving behind this mess.

They had their chance, and flunked it.

Off to count cans of peaches

(deal has no chance in parliament unless Labour supports)

My eyes are open wide
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #14999 on: November 15, 2018, 09:40:09 AM »

Three leading Leavers were ministers at DEXEU Davis, Baker and Raab.

They had ministerial responsibility for negotiating terms of exit - not Remainers.

And now all three have resigned, leaving behind this mess.

They had their chance, and flunked it.

Off to count cans of peaches

(deal has no chance in parliament unless Labour supports)

I think the buck stops with TM. They have clearly resigned because they could not get their way and what TM wanted has been forced onto them.
Pages: 1 ... 996 997 998 999 [1000] 1001 1002 1003 1004 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: