blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:29:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272595 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1075 1076 1077 1078 [1079] 1080 1081 1082 1083 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2196011 times)
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #16170 on: January 17, 2019, 01:41:51 PM »

I am not even going to bother with Aarons assumption that a majority isnt a majority if its not much, ...

I'd have more of an issue with what it is a majority of.

It's a majority of the people who voted, it wasn't even the majority of people eligible to vote.

Most people in the country didn't vote for Brexit - that is a meaningful majority.

The majority of people dont vote for the government of any era, on the same basis.......That is a meaningful majority too, but if people cant be bothered then they lose the chance to moan.

But when people vote in a general election they are voting in a system of representative democracy - the person who they elect represents:
(1) the people who vote for them, as well as
(2) the people who didn't vote for them - as well as
(3) the people who didn't vote at all.

i.e. everyone is being represented in this democratic process.

In a referendum you are engaging in direct democracy - i.e. if 'Leave' wins and we 'Leave' as a result then this form of democratic process only represents the people who voted for it.

Which in this case is somewhere around a third of the country.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #16171 on: January 17, 2019, 01:42:08 PM »

As the only person on this thread who has shown any capacity to see the other side of this coin

You can't make this stuff up

Indeed.

Oh Grant.

Dont be a sniper it doesn't suit you.

Yes, I have been pretty clear in my views but, have also asked questions and said I can see why people have their opinions. Not seen anyone else do that.......

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #16172 on: January 17, 2019, 01:44:38 PM »

I am not even going to bother with Aarons assumption that a majority isnt a majority if its not much, ...

It's a majority of the people who voted, it wasn't even the majority of people eligible to vote.

Most people in the country didn't vote for Brexit - that is a meaningful majority.

The majority of people dont vote for the government of any era, on the same basis.......That is a meaningful majority too, but if people cant be bothered then they lose the chance to moan.

But when people vote in a general election they are voting in a system of representative democracy - the person who they elect represents:

In a referendum you are engaging in direct democracy - i.e. if 'Leave' wins and we 'Leave' as a result then this form of democratic process only represents the people who voted for it.

So what you are saying is that if remain had won, we shouldn't remain either???!! thumbs up

Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #16173 on: January 17, 2019, 01:46:20 PM »

I don't understand why Corbyn is refusing to talk to Theresa unless she rules out no deal?

I don't understand how she could rule it out? It's the default position unless something else is agreed. Saying it 100% won't happen isn't possible for anyone is it?
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #16174 on: January 17, 2019, 01:48:56 PM »

And while we are at it. On similar lines

I don't accept this bullshit that the people that voted didn't know what they voted for therefore it shouldn't stand.

I bet if you ask a great number of people who vote during an election, if they could talk with any sense about the party manifesto, for whom they have just voted..........get my drift....

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #16175 on: January 17, 2019, 01:53:43 PM »

So what you are saying is that if remain had won, we shouldn't remain either???!! thumbs up

I'm saying we live in a representative democracy - we never should have had a referendum.

I never claimed I was being constructive Cheesy

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #16176 on: January 17, 2019, 02:19:05 PM »

I don't understand why Corbyn is refusing to talk to Theresa unless she rules out no deal?

I don't understand how she could rule it out? It's the default position unless something else is agreed. Saying it 100% won't happen isn't possible for anyone is it?

Exactly.

He is such an idiot.

Should have met with May....told her whatever happens do not allow "no deal". Then come out of the meeting and say he's told her what to do, and then when we get a deal/remain, he can pretend to take some credit.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #16177 on: January 17, 2019, 02:22:13 PM »

As the only person on this thread who has shown any capacity to see the other side of this coin

Indeed.

Excellent. Ranks up there with one of the most deluded quotes ever. FACT

sola virtus nobilitat
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #16178 on: January 17, 2019, 02:26:30 PM »

Indeed.

Oh Grant.

Dont be a sniper it doesn't suit you.

Yes, I have been pretty clear in my views but, have also asked questions and said I can see why people have their opinions. Not seen anyone else do that.......

You haven't seen anyone else ask questions or see other people acknowledge others opinions ? Nurse !

sola virtus nobilitat
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16179 on: January 17, 2019, 02:27:55 PM »

Indeed.

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #16180 on: January 17, 2019, 02:34:38 PM »

Indeed.

Haha. Paul looking happier than he often did here..sorry grumpy Paul Smiley

sola virtus nobilitat
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #16181 on: January 17, 2019, 02:55:04 PM »

Indeed.

So blinkered.

Even the late Kukushkin admitted I was the only one who was prepared to give a little.......when he wasn't calling me a #/:(.

Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #16182 on: January 17, 2019, 04:45:14 PM »

I personally disagree with another vote but this article is interesting.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/17/saturday-uk-remain-parliament-force-second-referendum

The true “will of the people” looks considerably more questionable if it turns out to be the will of dead people.

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16183 on: January 17, 2019, 04:54:37 PM »

Indeed.

Ha, Paul is my accountant of many many years. I still love doing the.......FACT thing to people who dont know what I'm on about.

What was the context of that, I cant remember?
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #16184 on: January 17, 2019, 04:59:12 PM »

Exactly.

He is such an idiot.

Should have met with May....told her whatever happens do not allow "no deal". Then come out of the meeting and say he's told her what to do, and then when we get a deal/remain, he can pretend to take some credit.

I am not a fan of Corbyn, but I don't mind his position on this.

Theresa has put herself in a corner with all of this & the (apparent) worst outcome of it all is a no-deal Brexit. So, Jeremy Corbyn is pulling the strings by saying take it off the table, or you don't get that cross party set of talks. I actually really like his position on this, rather than his position on a GE or a no confidence.

But, I do genuinely wonder what happens in two weeks if she gets her deal voted down again?
Pages: 1 ... 1075 1076 1077 1078 [1079] 1080 1081 1082 1083 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: