blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:14:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1290 1291 1292 1293 [1294] 1295 1296 1297 1298 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2198505 times)
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #19395 on: July 30, 2019, 09:17:55 PM »

A basic Remainer position at present is that they have a moral obligation to stop Brexit because nobody voted for a WTO-only or a so-called “No Deal” Brexit.

The democratic ideal, they say, is therefore on their side now.

I give this pretty short shrift.

We weren't asked to vote for any specifics on any type of deal - that doesn't give any group a democratic pedestal to stand on when the deal is one they don't like.

It's one of the reasons I have never been able to understand the calls for a second referendum. I haven't heard an impartial genuine argument for a second referendum that is not overshadowed by simply wanting to change the result rather than a referendum being actually required.

Agree with this. Also, the remainer position or view is entirely academic outside parliament. In Parliament, the remainer can only claim this notional ideal by first acting completely anti-democratically.

A construct along the lines of ignore the vote, work against any kind of deal,  ensure that no-deal becomes a possibility and then claim some moral high ground for being anti-no deal seems contemptible to me - embodied by the likes of Starmer, Benn, Cooper et al.

These 2 sides of the argument were quite well expressed in a discussion between Parris and Murray on Newsnight last night. Murray was the only one who made sense by any impartial measure because in the end it is really very simple. The only possible reason Parliament can have, to have made it so complicated, is to try to stop it happening.

I think you are right that they want to stop it but only because they absolutely believe they’re preventing the country inflicting great harm on itself. It seems like an OK way for a representative Parliament to work in this situation.

One other thing to consider about these people who believe we're inflicting great harm on ourselves - 40 or so Labour MPs voted against A50 being invoked but just about all of them voted against the WAB - this is opportunism not integrity.

Agreed..apart from Caroline Flint and a couple of others.
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #19396 on: July 30, 2019, 10:29:35 PM »

Why do we keep hearing warnings from Macron? Always seems to be France dishing out the threats. Is he official EU badass spokesman?

Why not let Finland or Bulgaria offer opinion in the fair equal union?

Sounds like Trump will sort out his trapping off, about time France’s overpriced wine took a bigger hit when compared to the quality elsewhere around the world.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49131301

More gold from Trump, no wonder he’s such a champion of the simpletons. “I’ve always said American wine is better than French wine”. Someone reminds him he’s never drunk wine.....😂. No doubt he feels well placed to speak about wine with authority.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/mind-in-the-machine/201808/the-dunning-kruger-effect-may-help-explain-trumps-support%3famp

Funny how people who cite the Dunning-Kruger effect always seem to use it to belittle people without ever considering the fact that they too may be impacted by it.

Good morning.

So, on one level of course I agree you are right. I feel like I’m on safe ground on a few things though:

• People who don’t drink wine aren’t well placed to comment on the quality of wine. The Trump statement is ridiculous.
• Mantis and Aaron both write nonsense in this thread and don’t understand much.
• The way Woodsey behaves, especially towards Tighty and Keith, mean he is a terrible contributor to this forum and everyone with an interest in the forum would be better off if we didn’t have to put up with his bullshit.

In life in general, I tend to audit myself regularly against Dunning/Kruger. I’m cool that I’m more aware than most of the holes in my knowledge. If you love learning, what could be better than an awareness of just how much you don’t know. The unread books in Umberto Eco’s library etc

Just served a short ban for calling Aaron a name.

This in itself is amazingly rich when I get called a racist amongst other things on so many occasions without others being banned.

The ban itself was clearly someone very keen to get one over on me, as you can see from the language used in this entry not long after my ban. Plenty of fruity language and some pretty disrespectful remarks. And I was asked to show some respect. Not much of it in here I would say boys, but whato, let's just ban Ads, and let certain others show as much disrespect as they like and carry on.

Pretty shitty treatment for the dumb Brexiteer.

Should be ashamed.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #19397 on: July 30, 2019, 10:34:07 PM »

Why do we keep hearing warnings from Macron? Always seems to be France dishing out the threats. Is he official EU badass spokesman?

Sounds like Trump will sort out his trapping off, about time France’s overpriced wine took a bigger hit when compared to the quality elsewhere around the world.

More gold from Trump, no wonder he’s such a champion of the simpletons. “I’ve always said American wine is better than French wine”. Someone reminds him he’s never drunk wine.....😂. No doubt he feels well placed to speak about wine with authority.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/mind-in-the-machine/201808/the-dunning-kruger-effect-may-help-explain-trumps-support%3famp

Funny how people who cite the Dunning-Kruger effect always seem to use it to belittle people without ever considering the fact that they too may be impacted by it.

Good morning.

So, on one level of course I agree you are right. I feel like I’m on safe ground on a few things though:

• People who don’t drink wine aren’t well placed to comment on the quality of wine. The Trump statement is ridiculous.
• Mantis and Aaron both write nonsense in this thread and don’t understand much.
• The way Woodsey behaves, especially towards Tighty and Keith, mean he is a terrible contributor to this forum and everyone with an interest in the forum would be better off if we didn’t have to put up with his bullshit.

In life in general, I tend to audit myself regularly against Dunning/Kruger. I’m cool that I’m more aware than most of the holes in my knowledge. If you love learning, what could be better than an awareness of just how much you don’t know. The unread books in Umberto Eco’s library etc

This in itself is amazingly rich when I get called a racist amongst other things on so many occasions without others being banned.

The ban itself was clearly someone very keen to get one over on me, as you can see from the language used in this entry not long after my ban. Plenty of fruity language and some pretty disrespectful remarks. And I was asked to show some respect. Not much of it in here I would say boys, but whato, let's just ban Ads, and let certain others show as much disrespect as they like and carry on.

Should be ashamed.

Wrongly calling someone a racist is a worse offence than calling someone a dickhead imo, should be a stronger penalty!

In fact if calling someone a dickhead (rightly or wrongly) is a banning offence so should calling someone a racist, they are both insults.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 10:46:42 PM by Woodsey » Logged
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #19398 on: July 31, 2019, 12:09:23 AM »

A basic Remainer position at present is that they have a moral obligation to stop Brexit because nobody voted for a WTO-only or a so-called “No Deal” Brexit.

We weren't asked to vote for any specifics on any type of deal - that doesn't give any group a democratic pedestal to stand on when the deal is one they don't like.

It's one of the reasons I have never been able to understand the calls for a second referendum. I haven't heard an impartial genuine argument for a second referendum that is not overshadowed by simply wanting to change the result rather than a referendum being actually required.

Agree with this. Also, the remainer position or view is entirely academic outside parliament. In Parliament, the remainer can only claim this notional ideal by first acting completely anti-democratically.

A construct along the lines of ignore the vote, work against any kind of deal,  ensure that no-deal becomes a possibility and then claim some moral high ground for being anti-no deal seems contemptible to me - embodied by the likes of Starmer, Benn, Cooper et al.

These 2 sides of the argument were quite well expressed in a discussion between Parris and Murray on Newsnight last night. Murray was the only one who made sense by any impartial measure because in the end it is really very simple. The only possible reason Parliament can have, to have made it so complicated, is to try to stop it happening.

I think you are right that they want to stop it but only because they absolutely believe they’re preventing the country inflicting great harm on itself. It seems like an OK way for a representative Parliament to work in this situation.

One other thing to consider about these people who believe we're inflicting great harm on ourselves - 40 or so Labour MPs voted against A50 being invoked but just about all of them voted against the WAB - this is opportunism not integrity.

It’s a fair point, there was definitely some ‘playing politics’ going on within the confines of the deal that was agreed. I think all bar one of them would be firmly and consistently opposed to ‘no deal’.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #19399 on: July 31, 2019, 12:14:33 AM »

So it’s ok to want to stop it if you believe you are doing the right thing. But not ok to want to go ahead and leave if you think that is best for the country?

Please don’t answer by saying that one group is right and the other wrong.

All MP’s should vote for what they believe is in the best interests of the country. Certainly not for me to judge right and wrong.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #19400 on: July 31, 2019, 12:21:41 AM »

Well the term “great harm” is open to interpretation and if we say it’s fine for a government to insist upon their version being applied over that of the people we no longer have democracy. Isn’t that instigating “great harm” on a society?

In fact aside from economics what is the “great harm” here?

If there is nothing else convincing then we’re saying to society that money means everything. In life you should cast aside anything in the pursuit of money. Isn’t that doing “great harm” to society?

All the service personnel who ever fought for democracy risked “great harm”

Does staying firmly entrenched in EU guarantee no “great harm” in the future?

Just more rhubarb bollox from wizardy types

I guess it’s important to an extent that it’s Parliament rather than the government that rejects Brexit (so far).

If we live in a capitalist society, money has to be front and centre, not my choice but a fact of the society that we live in. The non financial things will be different for different people, I’m a huge fan of freedom of movement and look forward to a future where it’s rolled out worldwide, I love a cosmopolitan and multi-cultural society, I can’t stand nationalism in any form. Other people will feel very differently and are entitled to do so.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #19401 on: July 31, 2019, 12:26:13 AM »

So it’s ok to want to stop it if you believe you are doing the right thing. But not ok to want to go ahead and leave if you think that is best for the country?

All MP’s should vote for what they believe is in the best interests of the country. Certainly not for me to judge right and wrong.

Hilarious, you often judge MP’s as many of your comments on BJ show recently  Cheesy . Most here do it, or we wouldn’t be here......
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #19402 on: July 31, 2019, 12:34:33 AM »

Hilarious, you often judge MP’s as many of your comments on BJ show recently  Cheesy . Most here do it, or we wouldn’t be here......

I think Boris is an abysmal human being and I don’t believe he thinks Brexit is good for Britain. I think there are loads of MP’s who genuinely believe leaving the EU is what’s best for Britain and I respect their opinion.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #19403 on: July 31, 2019, 12:37:53 AM »

I think Boris is an abysmal human being and I don’t believe he thinks Brexit is good for Britain. I think there are loads of MP’s who genuinely believe leaving the EU is what’s best for Britain and I respect their opinion.

You’re judging again, make your mind up FFS  Cheesy  This is part of the reason why you have little or no credibility on these issues  talktothehand
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 12:40:31 AM by Woodsey » Logged
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #19404 on: July 31, 2019, 04:12:17 AM »

It’s better to just ask if you don’t understand. I said it is not for me to judge whether MP’s are right or wrong in how they vote on Brexit (Brexit is bad imo but democracy is sacrosanct). I’m happy that I’m well placed to judge that Boris is an abysmal human (in the traits that you’d want in a politician or PM) and that his position on Brexit is dishonest. You are not well placed to judge anyone’s credibility, there has never been anyone whose opinion I rate lower than yours.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 04:25:02 AM by kukushkin88 » Logged
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #19405 on: July 31, 2019, 04:46:32 AM »

As a person Boris does seem to have fun, that’s as important as anything imo, so that’s a redeeming feature I guess.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 04:49:43 AM by kukushkin88 » Logged
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #19406 on: July 31, 2019, 07:59:30 AM »

It’s better to just ask if you don’t understand. I said it is not for me to judge whether MP’s are right or wrong in how they vote on Brexit (Brexit is bad imo but democracy is sacrosanct). I’m happy that I’m well placed to judge that Boris is an abysmal human (in the traits that you’d want in a politician or PM) and that his position on Brexit is dishonest. You are not well placed to judge anyone’s credibility, there has never been anyone whose opinion I rate lower than yours.

You’re assuming that your opinion matters, you are seriously overating yourself as usual 
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #19407 on: July 31, 2019, 08:01:59 AM »

You’re assuming that your opinion matters, you are seriously overating yourself as usual 

Seconded.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #19408 on: July 31, 2019, 08:22:58 AM »

It’s not for me to judge if MPs are right or wrong in how they vote on Brexit

But is for me to judge their performance as an overall human being

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #19409 on: July 31, 2019, 11:37:28 AM »

Good morning.

Should be ashamed.

Hi Adz.

If you don’t agree with someone’s viewpoint you don’t need to throw insults and the language you’ve used to respond. It’s a pretty poor way of trying to debate and says more about you than it does me.

Also, I’ve never called you a racist or anyone else in this thread a racist, I think you’re trying to make out I have by me linking racism and Brexit.

PS - I haven’t asked for you to be banned.

PPS - Don’t resort to petty insults 😝
Pages: 1 ... 1290 1291 1292 1293 [1294] 1295 1296 1297 1298 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: