blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:51:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272574 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1378 1379 1380 1381 [1382] 1383 1384 1385 1386 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2193915 times)
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #20715 on: September 11, 2019, 10:24:35 AM »

Parliament suspension ruled 'unlawful'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-49661855

What, if anything, are the ramifications of this?

Ha, was just going to post this.  Don't know the answer, but the article says it doesn't affect the curreny suspension.  So guess it just means that Johnson and Cummings are very naighty boys, but given their previous, we shouldn't be surprised.  Maybe Cummings gets to be found in contempt of parliament? again...

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #20716 on: September 11, 2019, 10:26:30 AM »

More in the Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/11/scottish-judges-rule-boris-johnsons-prorogation-unlawful

The British government will appeal against the Scottish appeal court’s decision, which also contradicts a decision in Johnson’s favour by senior English judges last week, at the supreme court.

The supreme court has already scheduled an emergency hearing on both the Scottish and English cases for 17 September, alongside a third challenge brought in the courts in Belfast.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20717 on: September 11, 2019, 10:56:27 AM »

How dare these unelected judges try to thwart the will of the people etc

When does party conference season start? If the supreme court uphold this and parliament restarts could that happen during that time?

Blue text
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20718 on: September 11, 2019, 01:32:19 PM »

Regardless of any ongoing developments with this ruling, it's quite an astonishing situation already that 3 judges have effectively declared that the government/PM knowingly misled the Queen with regard to the decision to prorogue.

The monarchy has no effective say in the actions it takes, as it relies on the advice of the government.  This is why there was never any prospect that the Queen would not give consent when requested to prorogue.  Consequently, for a government to now have been found to have acted improperly in this regard is a major development.

Even if the UK Supreme Court subsequently overrules the decision, there's no escaping that a senior court within the UK has actually reached this conclusion.  If the Queen is put in a situation where she can't rely on the advice of the PM, as someone who is politically neutral, then the whole system of Royal Assent pretty much breaks down.

Ignoring the Brexit element of all this, for a PM to mislead the Queen in this manner, as has now been established in law (albeit still subject to appeal), is surely an unprecedented situation.  Ordinarily, you would expect this to make the PM's position immediately untenable (imagine the political fallout of a court having reached this conclusion about Thatcher, Blair, Major, etc during the time they were in office).  The fact that this hasn't already become a Prime Ministerial resignation matter shows how much we're in unchartered political territory at present.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #20719 on: September 11, 2019, 01:46:21 PM »

Regardless of any ongoing developments with this ruling, it's quite an astonishing situation already that 3 judges have effectively declared that the government/PM knowingly misled the Queen with regard to the decision to prorogue.

The monarchy has no effective say in the actions it takes, as it relies on the advice of the government.  This is why there was never any prospect that the Queen would not give consent when requested to prorogue.  Consequently, for a government to now have been found to have acted improperly in this regard is a major development.

Even if the UK Supreme Court subsequently overrules the decision, there's no escaping that a senior court within the UK has actually reached this conclusion.  If the Queen is put in a situation where she can't rely on the advice of the PM, as someone who is politically neutral, then the whole system of Royal Assent pretty much breaks down.

Ignoring the Brexit element of all this, for a PM to mislead the Queen in this manner, as has now been established in law (albeit still subject to appeal), is surely an unprecedented situation.  Ordinarily, you would expect this to make the PM's position immediately untenable (imagine the political fallout of a court having reached this conclusion about Thatcher, Blair, Major, etc during the time they were in office).  The fact that this hasn't already become a Prime Ministerial resignation matter shows how much we're in unchartered political territory at present.

It is obviously a huge grey area, and all we are seeing is differing opinions from top level judges that shows how complex/grey/interpretation based the matter is.

It will just be said that Boris was advised it was fine, he took this in good faith, and would never knowingly mislead the Queen.

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20720 on: September 11, 2019, 02:01:18 PM »

If the Supreme Court follows the Scottish court and finds that Boris Johnson misled the Queen then he presumably will have to resign.

The English High Court (on Friday, Miller case) held the question was "non-justiciable" - ie, prorogation is a matter for politics not law

The Scottish court (today) held it was justiciable and also there was improper motive

If Supreme Court says it is justiciable (It probably won't) then its game over for him isn't it? The buck doesn't stop at what he was advised and who advised him?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #20721 on: September 11, 2019, 02:06:44 PM »

If the Supreme Court follows the Scottish court and finds that Boris Johnson misled the Queen then he presumably will have to resign.

The English High Court (on Friday, Miller case) held the question was "non-justiciable" - ie, prorogation is a matter for politics not law

The Scottish court (today) held it was justiciable and also there was improper motive

If Supreme Court says it is justiciable (It probably won't) then its game over for him isn't it? The buck doesn't stop at what he was advised and who advised him?

Scottish law and English law interpret parts of the constitution differently (English case law doesn't affect Scottish interpretation for example).

I assume the Supreme Court follows English law interpretation(?)

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #20722 on: September 11, 2019, 02:10:55 PM »

https://www.judiciary.uk/judgments/press-statement-gina-miller-v-the-prime-minister-others/

Judgement and summary of the English case if anyone wants a read

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #20723 on: September 11, 2019, 02:25:25 PM »

The Queen knew why he was doing it.

I cant believe I have just sat and read it but it seems pretty clear cut no?

Both the decision of the Prime Minister that Parliament should be prorogued at the time and for
the duration chosen and the advice given by the Prime Minister in the present case were inherently
political in nature and there are no legal standards against which to judge their legitimacy. [51]
There is no legal measure of the length of time between Parliamentary sessions, nor even a
constitutional convention which governs that matter, albeit constitutional conventions are not
justiciable. [54] Parliament may be prorogued for various reasons, including political reasons, and
there is no statute, law or convention which requires Parliament to sit in constant session.

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20724 on: September 11, 2019, 02:34:04 PM »

Yes, that's what the English court said but whatever else it might mean in practice, senior judges in Scotland have ruled the the Prime Minister deliberately tried to frustrate Parliament for his own ends, then lied about it to the Queen and the country. 

Interesting times. Normally that would obviously play pretty badly but in this people v politicians type environment presumably it doesn't play badly to his core vote..ie he did it as a means to an end which is to get Brexit through with no further delays

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20725 on: September 11, 2019, 02:41:45 PM »

Goodall posts as follows

"All in all prorogation was one of the most politically inept decisions of recent history:

- extension law happened anyway
- prompted Tory MPs to rebel more quickly
- which provoked expulsions
- majority to fall to -44
- provoked huge legal clashes
- might be reversed"

"The Queen relies on the sound and honest counsel from her prime minister not to put her in a position where she is acting a) politically b) controversially c) unlawfully. PM had already failed on A and B. C is a real kicker"

and the point i made above put in a better way

"Yet in the court of public opinion, this will change little. All of our institutions, including the courts, have become less trusted as a result of Brexit. The PM’s team will suggest this is all part of a remainer establishment seeking to thwart the ref. Many will believe them."

My eyes are open wide
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #20726 on: September 11, 2019, 03:05:20 PM »

Yes, that's what the English court said but whatever else it might mean in practice, senior judges in Scotland have ruled the the Prime Minister deliberately tried to frustrate Parliament for his own ends, then lied about it to the Queen and the country. 

Interesting times. Normally that would obviously play pretty badly but in this people v politicians type environment presumably it doesn't play badly to his core vote..ie he did it as a means to an end which is to get Brexit through with no further delays

I probably am part of his core vote to be fair  Wink

Are we not saying that the Queen is pretty thick if she has been misled on this though?

Also based on that paragraph, his motives were politically driven, so he is allowed to prorogue as he see's fit?

kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #20727 on: September 11, 2019, 03:23:42 PM »

I probably am part of his core vote to be fair  Wink

Are we not saying that the Queen is pretty thick if she has been misled on this though?

Also based on that paragraph, his motives were politically driven, so he is allowed to prorogue as he see's fit?

It’s a formality that she approves it, it was always going to be for the courts to decide if she was misled. I don’t think anyone doubts the reasons that were given are dishonest. The Supreme Court case will be interesting for sure.
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20728 on: September 11, 2019, 03:48:43 PM »

Letter from Gina Miller's lawyers outlining the case for immediate re-opening of Parliament, based on today's ruling:

https://twitter.com/thatginamiller/status/1171796319968616450

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #20729 on: September 11, 2019, 05:34:09 PM »

The Supreme Court will almost certainly rule in favour of the Government.

The sooner we get a general election the better.
Pages: 1 ... 1378 1379 1380 1381 [1382] 1383 1384 1385 1386 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: