blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:04:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1457 1458 1459 1460 [1461] 1462 1463 1464 1465 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2197166 times)
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #21900 on: November 06, 2019, 11:26:32 AM »

How much of an effect do we think Trump's endorsement of Boris/Farage might have on voters?

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #21901 on: November 06, 2019, 12:12:59 PM »

Even though it's not obvious that the Tories are running much of a decent campaign at the moment I believe they will eventually cut through with a limited number of simple messages when people stop resigning, apologising and being booted out.

I feel the Brexit party vote will fall away to a fairly large degree as Farage is sounding ever more swivel eyed - 'this isn't Brexit' is unikely to cut through with very many people imo.

LDs probably attract more of the marching Waitrosians (former Labour and Tory voters) than Farage attracts of jackbooted brexiters.

Can't see anything other than a 50 seat Tory Majority however well Labour continues to campaign with strong NHS and socially oriented messages

The prediction is similar to that which many expected last time around, but I'm struggling to see where they will make the gains to achieve this.  Polling and vote share leads are one thing, but the distribution of those votes are important under our voting system.

From the current starting point, the Tories are likely to lose the seats they picked up in Scotland in 2017 to the SNP/Lib Dems.  They will probably also have more seat losses than Labour arising from the expected Lib Dem gains.  There's a very big question mark on how many seats the Lib Dems will gain, but I don't think any reasonably expects them to stand still or get fewer seats.

That pretty much boils down the election to the Tory/Labour marginals and it's hard to see how either of them currently make the gains they need here to secure a majority.  For me personally, this is the one crumb of comfort I'm clinging on to with regard to the election taking place.

For the Tories to achieve it, they need to eliminate the Brexit Party threat to their vote share and get people to buy-in to their campaign of 'Get Brexit Done' which seems too divisive a message in a country which is pretty much 50:50 split on Brexit.  Yes, they have more effective campaigners than the 2017 Maybot campaign, but if we see too many of the Rees-Mogg, Bridgen, Cleverly type interventions, then the whole 'nasty party' image starts to cut through.

For Labour, they are very much attacking the Lib Dems currently and it was very obvious yesterday that there had been a co-ordinated "Vote Lib Dem, get Tories" social media campaign.  Their success relies on getting enough Remain votes from their 'neutral on Brexit' strategy, and avoiding any 'Toxic Corbyn' collateral damage.  Weirdly, their most effective campaigning tool may well be jumping on the Tory mis-steps, than it will be on getting their own arguments to resonate with the non-converted.

Things may change, but right now, I'm struggling to see how either of them achieve a majority.  The only thing I can predict with a reasonable degree of confidence is that the new Parliament will have more SNP and Lib Dem MP's than before.

Easy to take your ticket on this as a more likely scenario tbf. It's been a very long time since the tories were able to command a significant majority. Just have a fee

sola virtus nobilitat
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #21902 on: November 06, 2019, 01:08:54 PM »

For anyone asking where the Tory majority comes from .....

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/gainloss.html

I dont know how good this website is, but I find the content interesting

I am obviously also biased as I would love a Tory majority of 96!

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #21903 on: November 06, 2019, 01:26:14 PM »

For anyone asking where the Tory majority comes from .....

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/gainloss.html

I dont know how good this website is, but I find the content interesting

I am obviously also biased as I would love a Tory majority of 96!

You can put in your own figures to see what it would result in as well.

I amended some of the poll of poll figures (e.g. I think more Brexit Party voters will actually vote for Conservative and Labour tends to be under represanted in opinion polls); that gave a majority of 50ish.

As with this link it also tells you the seats that changed hand so I looked and moved back any seat to it's incumbent if the estimated leave vote was less than 55% for that area. And I assumed that the Conservatives won't win any seat in Scotland.

Still came back with a majority of 10.

That involved a lot of rough and ready guess work but it looks like the polls will have to be considerably narrower to avoid a Tory majority - which obviously can be done because Labour did just that last time, it's just whether they can do it again.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21904 on: November 06, 2019, 01:42:55 PM »

Ever wondered if the Tories lack fundamental self-awareness?

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1192037394008170496?s=20

I can see that tactic back-firing spectacularly.  She's as spiteful a figure as they have in their ranks.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21905 on: November 06, 2019, 01:53:56 PM »

Ever wondered if the Tories lack fundamental self-awareness?

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1192037394008170496?s=20

I can see that tactic back-firing spectacularly.  She's as spiteful a figure as they have in their ranks.

What an utterly dreadful person she is.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #21906 on: November 06, 2019, 02:47:02 PM »

Click to see full-size image.

Some ego this Swinson
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #21907 on: November 06, 2019, 02:59:57 PM »

Some ego this Swinson

I read somewhere her hubby has had £3m in funding out of the EU so makes sense why she is so anti brexit
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21908 on: November 06, 2019, 03:05:10 PM »

Some ego this Swinson

I read somewhere her hubby has had £3m in funding out of the EU so makes sense why she is so anti brexit

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-50160148

But yeah, Swinson really does grate on me. Would hazard a guess that she's not half as popular as she thinks she is.

Blue text
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #21909 on: November 06, 2019, 03:21:00 PM »

Some ego this Swinson

aye that's not true. unfortunately the rubbish spread about this issue goes much further than the fact checking posts (like this one: https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-50160148)

there are many many reasons to dislike Jo Swinson. This isn't one of them.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #21910 on: November 06, 2019, 06:11:39 PM »

Some ego this Swinson

aye that's not true. unfortunately the rubbish spread about this issue goes much further than the fact checking posts (like this one: https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-50160148)

She's definitely had a tip for herself.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21911 on: November 06, 2019, 07:24:45 PM »

I've heard an unusual number of random people say things along the lines of "That fucking Jo Swinson gets right on my nerves"

The older I get, the better I was.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21912 on: November 06, 2019, 08:13:47 PM »

Tom Watson has resigned

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1192172019149881346

This seems like something that is bad for Labour overall (he was always a pretty reasonable moderate voice) but the Corbynistas probably think it's a massive victory
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #21913 on: November 06, 2019, 10:57:03 PM »

Some ego this Swinson

She's definitely had a tip for herself.

It’s her Party and cry if she wants to

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21914 on: November 06, 2019, 11:50:03 PM »

Ronnie v Jimmy tomorrow. 🍿

The older I get, the better I was.
Pages: 1 ... 1457 1458 1459 1460 [1461] 1462 1463 1464 1465 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: