blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:08:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 449 450 451 452 [453] 454 455 456 457 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2197170 times)
OverTheBorder

just one of those days

View Profile
« Reply #6780 on: December 03, 2016, 10:55:12 AM »

Do you think you know more about politics or streaming boxes? The numbers say we've never had a worse government but you're still loyal.

What numbers out of interest?

The numbers that suit his argument I guess.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #6781 on: December 03, 2016, 10:56:56 AM »

Yes politicians of all parties have been doing a terrible job :|

I don't understand that graph.  What do the letters stand for?  Where did you get it? 

I am guessing an IFS report, but googling one of their reports shows AHC is after housing costs, and BHC is before housing costs.

Looks pretty flat to me.  What does absolute low income mean here?  It suggests that it doesn't include inflation, but that would be absurd?   Does it include working/ other benefits too?  

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6782 on: December 03, 2016, 11:06:08 AM »

Richmond is a wake-up call for Labour's Brexit strategy,

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2016/12/richmond-wake-call-labours-brexit-strategy

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6783 on: December 03, 2016, 11:07:06 AM »

Whether it’s Brexit or Trump, populists are such sore winners

"Unlikely political victors in the US and UK are now even angrier: because, robbed of the ability to blame everything on others, they can no longer play the victim"

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/dec/02/brexit-trump-populists-sore-winners-play-victim?CMP=twt_gu

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6784 on: December 03, 2016, 11:08:00 AM »

conservative lead slumps to 12%

YouGov:

CON 39 (-2)
LAB 27 (-1)
LD 9 (=)
UKIP 14 (+2)
GRN 4 (=)
SNP 5 (=)

28th-29th Nov
N=1,624
Tabs https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/wemnebeo20/TimesResults_161129_VI_Trackers_W.pdf

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6785 on: December 03, 2016, 11:08:37 AM »

The big prize that the Liberal Democrats can now dream of:

https://www.facebook.com/stephenkbush/posts/563575867174479

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6786 on: December 03, 2016, 11:09:09 AM »

this is a thought provoking read

Labour MPs in big cities are worried about the Liberals, Labour MPs in small towns are worried about Ukip:

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2016/12/after-richmond-park-labour-mps-are-haunted-familiar-ghost

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6787 on: December 03, 2016, 11:09:58 AM »

and related to that

Zac Goldsmith's defeat will worry Conservatives, but the more important message is the fragmentation of the left

http://www.economist.com/blogs/bagehot/2016/12/zac-goldsmith-defeated-liberal-democrats?fsrc=scn/tw/te/bl/ed/zacgoldsmithisdefeatedbytheliberaldemocratslabournotthetoriesshouldbemostworriedbytherichmondparkresult

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6788 on: December 03, 2016, 11:11:21 AM »

this made me chuckle, not from a partisan perspective just the starkness of the reply

Extract from Eurostar's submission to the Parliamentary inquiry into Brexit

Click to see full-size image.

My eyes are open wide
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #6789 on: December 03, 2016, 12:33:34 PM »

Do you think you know more about politics or streaming boxes? The numbers say we've never had a worse government but you're still loyal.

Essentially all of them. Worsening living standards over a protracted period for the first time since the 2nd great war. It would be easier to try and think of something that's going well, other than very rich people getting a little bit richer. Number of homeless. Missed economic targets, NHS missing more targets than ever before by bigger margins. Deregulation of the Environment with relentless attacks on the public sector.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #6790 on: December 03, 2016, 02:52:44 PM »

I don't understand that graph.  What do the letters stand for?  Where did you get it? 

I am guessing an IFS report, but googling one of their reports shows AHC is after housing costs, and BHC is before housing costs.

Looks pretty flat to me.  What does absolute low income mean here?  It suggests that it doesn't include inflation, but that would be absurd?   Does it include working/ other benefits too?  

Absolute low income means relative to a baseline level; typically 60% of the median income level for a base year. Relative poverty is based on 60% of the median income level for each year for comparison. i.e. when they talk about "absolute" - it's still actually "relative".

The reason why you don't measure absolute levels of poverty over time is because the figure becomes so small as to be meaningless. Additionally the absolute levels of poverty up to the late 19th century were only alleviated by charity whereas from the mid 20th century they are increasingly mitigated by state benefits.

The effect of benefits and the fact that they only report on different forms of relative poverty are the reason why you would expect any reports like this to exclude benefits. e.g. if you get a benefit because you're poor then it it would affect the median level of income; but that's what you're using to define being poor to start with; so it has to be excluded.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #6791 on: December 03, 2016, 02:55:09 PM »

I don't understand that graph.  What do the letters stand for?  Where did you get it?  

How else can 85% of people be receiving absolute low income though. What is absolute low income? If it means the same as below than that graph has to be bullshit right? Lies dammed lies and statistics springs to mind.

"This release presents three main measures of low income:
 someone is considered to be in relative low income if they receive less than 60
per cent of the average income1
 in the year in question.
 someone is considered to be in absolute low income if they receive less than
60 per cent of average income1
 in 2010/11 adjusted by inflation.
 income inequality, as measured by the Gini coefficient, ranges from zero
(when everybody has identical incomes) to 100 per cent (when all income
goes to only one person)."

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/206850/first_release_1112.pdf

Median annual salary in the UK in 1961 was ~£1000. Did 85% of people really earn less than that? the sixteen year flat line and disparity between BHC and AHC are quite worrying.

How do 85% of people earn 60% of the Median income when the Median income is middle point in the data set? I feel really dumb having wrote that out but something doesn't seem to add up.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 03:21:39 PM by rfgqqabc » Logged

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #6792 on: December 03, 2016, 09:11:52 PM »

Essentially all of them. Worsening living standards over a protracted period for the first time since the 2nd great war. It would be easier to try and think of something that's going well, other than very rich people getting a little bit richer. Number of homeless. Missed economic targets, NHS missing more targets than ever before by bigger margins. Deregulation of the Environment with relentless attacks on the public sector.

How are you measuring living standards. I think the Tories have hiding their poor performance behind Brexit but real wage levels have been increasing since about 2010, albeit slowly.  I agree missing economic targets time and again and by big margins is really poor.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #6793 on: December 04, 2016, 07:50:34 AM »

Median annual salary in the UK in 1961 was ~£1000. Did 85% of people really earn less than that? ...

How do 85% of people earn 60% of the Median income when the Median income is middle point in the data set? I feel really dumb having wrote that out but something doesn't seem to add up.

1961 wasn't the base year would be my conclusion.

Relative poverty is based on the number of people earning less than 60% of the median for that year - that might be relevant to look at how people are doing compared with everyone else; but this gives a better historical overview (despite still not measuring 'actual' poverty).

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #6794 on: December 04, 2016, 08:37:54 AM »

How are you measuring living standards. I think the Tories have hiding their poor performance behind Brexit but real wage levels have been increasing since about 2010, albeit slowly.  I agree missing economic targets time and again and by big margins is really poor.

Real wage growth is still negative since 2007 though?  Property prices/rents are going to be higher.  Benefits have been cut pretty heavily in recent years too.  And if average wages are down in real terms, I would be pretty surprised if those at the bottom are doing better.

I am not at all convinced of what that graph shows and nobody has linked us to the definitions.  But it appears to be showing a very long period to mask what is happening over the last few years.  Of course we are better off than in 1961, but that is no target.

FWIW I am not blaming any party for the bad economic performance, it is what it is, and likely would have been bad whoever was in charge over the last 10 years.  Brexit is a different thing entirely.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Pages: 1 ... 449 450 451 452 [453] 454 455 456 457 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: