blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:01:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 581 582 583 584 [585] 586 587 588 589 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2181099 times)
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #8760 on: May 26, 2017, 09:04:11 AM »

And that polll was taken post Manchester bombing, which was supposedly going to harden Tory support.

We are living in very strange times.

Correction. The poll was taken pre Manchester.

don't think thats correct,its taken tuesday/wednesday

You're right.

I got the info from a Times journalist Twitter account, but he was talking about a different poll. @samcoatestimes

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8761 on: May 26, 2017, 09:18:27 AM »

And that polll was taken post Manchester bombing, which was supposedly going to harden Tory support.

You're right.

I got the info from a Times journalist Twitter account, but he was talking about a different poll. @samcoatestimes

yes the kantar one above was pre manchester but post manifesto

this is a remarkable thread, its been through a big polling error in 2015, a scottish independence vote,brexit, a snap election where the government began 24% and is now 5% ahead. a manifesto cock up that changed the election, a terrorist act that suspended campaigning and and who know what will happen in the next two weeks

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8762 on: May 26, 2017, 09:21:31 AM »

the IFS weighs in

Click to see full-size image.

My eyes are open wide
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #8763 on: May 26, 2017, 09:24:50 AM »

You're right.

this is a remarkable thread, its been through a big polling error in 2015, a scottish independence vote,brexit, a snap election where the government began 24% and is now 5% ahead. a manifesto cock up that changed the election, a terrorist act that suspended campaigning and and who know what will happen in the next two weeks

We live in very strange times. Trying to predict what will happen next is a fruitless task.

Maybe Jeremy Corbyn has something of Donald Trump about him. Albeit from a totally opposite political viewpoint obviously.

He is not like traditional politicians, he talks in language people understand and he has a cult like following.

Only Farage has similar influence on people in the UK.

(Or maybe I'm just trying to find a narrative which fits the results we are seeing)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 09:27:26 AM by The Camel » Logged

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8764 on: May 26, 2017, 09:25:06 AM »

Click to see full-size image.

which feels a bit dated, as 8 of the last 10 polls are from monday or before (pre manchester)

all eyes on the weekend polls now to see if the +5 last night is repeated....

My eyes are open wide
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #8765 on: May 26, 2017, 09:37:17 AM »

You're right.

We live in very strange times. Trying to predict what will happen next is a fruitless task.

Maybe Jeremy Corbyn has something of Donald Trump about him. Albeit from a totally opposite political viewpoint obviously.

He is not like traditional politicians, he talks in language people understand and he has a cult like following.

(Or maybe I'm just trying to find a narrative which fits the results we are seeing)

Yeah.  You shouldn't underestimate him.  He has a machine behind him that has steamrollered two elections.  Maybe he gets the new technology and how to harness it better than most.

Having said that he is frequently one step away from a big cock up.  To do a war causes terrorism speach right now just seems really badly timed at best.  I hope someone stops him speaking about it for a few days. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8766 on: May 26, 2017, 09:37:57 AM »

You're right.

that might be part of it (he needs the young and the non voters from 2015 to vote, and the pollsters doubt they will in numbers the polls suggest they will, but thats a big unknown for all this)

the Manifesto cock up/impact on the May core vote (and possibly the reduced police numbers argument ref the Manchester bombing) must also be a factor as in a stroke it has removed a lot of May's personal leader rating advantage,ref the you gov poll at night

so think we have two things in play here

My eyes are open wide
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #8767 on: May 26, 2017, 09:48:10 AM »

You're right.

Yeah.  You shouldn't underestimate him.  He has a machine behind him that has steamrollered two elections.  Maybe he gets the new technology and how to harness it better than most.

Having said that he is frequently one step away from a big cock up.  To do a war causes terrorism speach right now just seems really badly timed at best.  I hope someone stops him speaking about it for a few days. 

I don't know you're right.

Never in a hundred years did I think Corbyn would get Labour this close in the polls.

I think we should just ride this bandwagon until the end of the campaign now. They've done incredibly well to get this close, maybe this is the move he's got to make to push Labour over the hump.

People are sick of being terrorist targets, our current foreign policy has failed miserably. Let Corbyn have a chance to show the country there's an alternative to being the USAs lapdog.

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #8768 on: May 26, 2017, 09:53:12 AM »

You're right.

I think yr right that the conventional wisdom would be that a war causes terrorism thing would make one appear too much of an apologist to be a leader. Probably still true but I don't think it will play so negatively these days. Large parts of the electorate don't really remember more local troubles and will only have known the interventions in the middle east which seem increasingly badly motivated and executed by the day

sola virtus nobilitat
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #8769 on: May 26, 2017, 09:54:49 AM »

"William Hill have Jeremy Corbyn at 4/1 to be the next Prime Minister"

Can you ever have imagined saying that without a few noughts after the 4..........incredible.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8770 on: May 26, 2017, 10:16:13 AM »

You're right.

Think you are spot on, I had the biggest bet of my life on Trump winning and I'm really starting to get the same vibe from the attitude towards Corbyn. It's stopped being Left/Right and started being Establishment/Populist or Elite/Normal People. May have to stick a few quid on Jezza now.
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8771 on: May 26, 2017, 10:42:30 AM »

With two weeks to go until the election, I suspect a lot of the 'short-termism' in the latest polls will correct to an extent, so I take all of this with a pinch of salt.  They may be narrowing the gap, but nothing like enough to influence the overall result to any extent.

Bear in mind:
1) The polls typically underestimate the final Tory vote.
2) Because of FPTP, a gap of zero would still result in a Tory majority, due to the concentration of Labour support in certain areas.
3) These polls are still heavily reliant on a strong turnout of the young vote, which always gets suggested but never seems to materialise (just look at the EU referendum as a prime example).

The gap closing makes logical sense from the mess the Tories made of their manifesto/campaigning pre-Manchester.  If anything, the suspension of campaigning since then will have hurt Labour, so my gut feel is that this latest poll is a good as it gets for them.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #8772 on: May 26, 2017, 10:51:57 AM »

You're right.

I think yr right that the conventional wisdom would be that a war causes terrorism thing would make one appear too much of an apologist to be a leader. Probably still true but I don't think it will play so negatively these days. Large parts of the electorate don't really remember more local troubles and will only have known the interventions in the middle east which seem increasingly badly motivated and executed by the day

Katie "Final Solution" Hopkins, ex LBC presenter, is already on twitter (and presumably the Mail) saying Corbyn is exchanging dead kids for the terrorist sympathising vote block.

Wrong in so many ways, but it was always going to be reported this way in parts of the press.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #8773 on: May 26, 2017, 11:01:45 AM »

With two weeks to go until the election, I suspect a lot of the 'short-termism' in the latest polls will correct to an extent, so I take all of this with a pinch of salt.  They may be narrowing the gap, but nothing like enough to influence the overall result to any extent.

Bear in mind:
2) Because of FPTP, a gap of zero would still result in a Tory majority, due to the concentration of Labour support in certain areas.
3) These polls are still heavily reliant on a strong turnout of the young vote, which always gets suggested but never seems to materialise (just look at the EU referendum as a prime example).

The gap closing makes logical sense from the mess the Tories made of their manifesto/campaigning pre-Manchester.  If anything, the suspension of campaigning since then will have hurt Labour, so my gut feel is that this latest poll is a good as it gets for them.

The old rules no longer apply Curtis.

Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8774 on: May 26, 2017, 11:04:30 AM »

Bear in mind:

The old rules no longer apply Curtis.

We will soon find out.  I'm not holding my breath (particularly as I think Corbyn as PM would be as big a disaster as May, but for different reasons).

I'm holding out for a Brewster's Millions scenario where everyone votes RON!

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
Pages: 1 ... 581 582 583 584 [585] 586 587 588 589 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: