blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:12:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 618 619 620 621 [622] 623 624 625 626 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2191825 times)
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #9315 on: June 05, 2017, 06:58:12 PM »

Today Corbyn is visiting 4 Labour seats in North East.

The average Lab majority in the seats is 9,084, or 22.9%.  3 of the 4 are rock solid labour, Blyth etc

If it is close and lab are -3 or better in % age, which they could be depending on turnout of the young and the previously non voters...

why is Labour so defensive?

shouldn't they be in tight tory marginals?

May is in Edinburgh in marginals.

I live in one the safest Tory seats in the country (Richmond) but actually live closer to Darlington than to Richmond.

Darlo is a Labour marginal with a majority of about 1000.

There are "Vote Labour" signs everywhere. The presence on the high street canvassing and campaigning is huge compared to non existent for the Tories.

Literally have only seen one Tory sign in the last 3 weeks. And that is outside the house of a local Tory councillor.

Either Labour are going to increase their majority massively, or there are a lot of ashamed Tory voters round here.

I'll bite.

Respectfully, maybe they are reacting pragmatically to comments like that.

I don't understand.

If you are proud of the potical party you support and are committed to winning the general election, wouldn't you be trying to persuade others to support the same party?

Given the Tory vote is generally the older generation, a lot view political views as a private issue.

Younger vote is more towards Labour and the young are generally more vocal and idealistic.

Think it's no more complicated than that.

I'm 100% certain there's far more Labour posters around than 2 years ago. And there weren't people on the high street like there has been for the last 3 weeks.

At the very least Corbyn has got his supporters fired up.

If each committed Corybnista persuades just one person to change their vote, that could easily be enough to force a hung parliament.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 07:00:51 PM by The Camel » Logged

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
exstream

View Profile
« Reply #9316 on: June 05, 2017, 07:07:00 PM »

Yet to see someone on Facebook mention voting for anything but labour
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #9317 on: June 05, 2017, 07:14:34 PM »

Yep, and the vitriol alongside any contrary comments almost makes me switch my vote - I like Labour policies but really dislike a lot of the vocal labour voices - too shrill, too pious, too convinced of their own rightness- deffo harks back to the days of the MT.

sola virtus nobilitat
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #9318 on: June 05, 2017, 07:27:35 PM »

I've never bought into this "BBC is biased against the Left" narrative.

But the other day when the Tory MP was charged over the general election expenses scandal this is how the case was reported on 5 Live News.

"Conservative candidate for South Thanet Craig Mackinley maintains he's done nothing wrong after being charged over his party's expenses in the 2015 general election"

I mean, really. That is a very strange way of reporting the case isn't it?

Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #9319 on: June 05, 2017, 07:29:18 PM »

I am trying to balance it out by not deleting/ muting the one guy who is a climate change denying Conservative/ Trump supporter.

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #9320 on: June 05, 2017, 07:55:41 PM »

The average Lab majority in the seats is 9,084, or 22.9%.  3 of the 4 are rock solid labour, Blyth etc

If it is close and lab are -3 or better in % age, which they could be depending on turnout of the young and the previously non voters...

I live in one the safest Tory seats in the country (Richmond) but actually live closer to Darlington than to Richmond.

There are "Vote Labour" signs everywhere. The presence on the high street canvassing and campaigning is huge compared to non existent for the Tories.

Literally have only seen one Tory sign in the last 3 weeks. And that is outside the house of a local Tory councillor.

Either Labour are going to increase their majority massively, or there are a lot of ashamed Tory voters round here.

I'll bite.

I don't understand.

If you are proud of the potical party you support and are committed to winning the general election, wouldn't you be trying to persuade others to support the same party?

Given the Tory vote is generally the older generation, a lot view political views as a private issue.

Younger vote is more towards Labour and the young are generally more vocal and idealistic.

I'm 100% certain there's far more Labour posters around than 2 years ago. And there weren't people on the high street like there has been for the last 3 weeks.

If each committed Corybnista persuades just one person to change their vote, that could easily be enough to force a hung parliament.

Corbyn got about 250,000 votes when he was elected - even if you defined every one of those votes a committed Corbynista, and used the most generous interpretation, it would mean that if each one persuaded one person to change their vote it would make barely 1% difference to the final result.

That could force a hung parliament - but only if it was pretty close to start with.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #9321 on: June 05, 2017, 08:02:15 PM »

The average Lab majority in the seats is 9,084, or 22.9%.  3 of the 4 are rock solid labour, Blyth etc

I'll bite.

I don't understand.

Lol "proud".  It isn't a football team is it?  Not that I am going to vote for May or anyone else this election, but when I do vote I just go down and vote and that's as far as it goes to be honest.  Anyone who gets some reflected glory or pats themselves on the back by putting a sign for a political party in their garden is a bit of a weirdo in my book.  It's even worse in America.
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #9322 on: June 05, 2017, 08:02:49 PM »

I'll bite.

I don't understand.

Corbyn got about 250,000 votes when he was elected - even if you defined every one of those votes a committed Corbynista, and used the most generous interpretation, it would mean that if each one persuaded one person to change their vote it would make barely 1% difference to the final result.

That could force a hung parliament - but only if it was pretty close to start with.

And with Labour support concentrated in places like London, they could persuade ten times that number and it probably won't make enough difference.
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #9323 on: June 05, 2017, 08:03:32 PM »

The average Lab majority in the seats is 9,084, or 22.9%.  3 of the 4 are rock solid labour, Blyth etc

I'll bite.

I don't understand.

Like wot Woodsey said. No point putting a target on your back for idiots to aim at.

Not about that for me, I just don't really feel a need to declare my allegiance to my neighbours, also I don't really think many apart from the dimwits make their choice based on the number posters around......ahhh that might explain the abundance of about Labour posters around 

Oh no an Emoji!  Some people are going to find this offensive. Cheesy
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #9324 on: June 05, 2017, 08:07:54 PM »

But the other day when the Tory MP was charged over the general election expenses scandal this is how the case was reported on 5 Live News.

"Conservative candidate for South Thanet Craig Mackinley maintains he's done nothing wrong after being charged over his party's expenses in the 2015 general election"

Wow. Everyone I know has always thought it was biased TOWARDS Labour.

You only have to watch Norman Smith for 5 minutes to know which side he dresses, and it sure aint to the right.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #9325 on: June 05, 2017, 08:13:18 PM »

Yep, and the vitriol alongside any contrary comments almost makes me switch my vote - I like Labour policies but really dislike a lot of the vocal labour voices - too shrill, too pious, too convinced of their own rightness- deffo harks back to the days of the MT.

Indeed and it's a significant vote loser in my opinion.  Just a really unpleasant trait.  Pretty sure it cost Miliband a hung parliament last time.  Not Labour v Tory but that a similar attitude in remain probably cost us a fortune in leaving the EU as well. 
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #9326 on: June 05, 2017, 08:25:12 PM »

You only have to watch Norman Smith for 5 minutes to know which side he dresses, and it sure aint to the right.

Always thought BBC was generally slightly left leaning too.

On a separate but slightly related subject - I somehow watched ITV news a couple of weeks ago and was genuinely taken aback by the level of editorialising by the presenter as opposed to a presentation of the news and the facts. It happened to be a piece about Trump - that Trump is a complete disaster I have no doubt, but I don't think it's for a main channel news presenter to send him up in a mocking way. Was jolly poor form in my book

sola virtus nobilitat
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #9327 on: June 05, 2017, 08:27:11 PM »

On a separate but slightly related subject - I somehow watched ITV news a couple of weeks ago and was genuinely taken aback by the level of editorialising by the presenter as opposed to a presentation of the news and the facts. It happened to be a piece about Trump - that Trump is a complete disaster I have no doubt, but I don't think it's for a main channel news presenter to send him up in a mocking way. Was jolly poor form in my book

Same with Sky News

Sat into a hotel room last week listening to some of the stuff Kay Burley was saying was cringeworthy and very unproffessional.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #9328 on: June 05, 2017, 08:36:30 PM »

Same with Sky News

Sat into a hotel room last week listening to some of the stuff Kay Burley was saying was cringeworthy and very unproffessional.

How on earth can you start a news item by saying the person who has been arrested maintains his innocence BEFORE reporting what he has been charged with?

kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #9329 on: June 05, 2017, 08:39:55 PM »

Same with Sky News

How on earth can you start a news item by saying the person who has been arrested maintains his innocence BEFORE reporting what he has been charged with?

Guess it depends how worried you are about more cuts to your funding. Electoral fraud feels likes big news just at the moment.
Pages: 1 ... 618 619 620 621 [622] 623 624 625 626 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: