blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:13:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 922 923 924 925 [926] 927 928 929 930 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2180186 times)
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #13875 on: September 11, 2018, 04:06:11 PM »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45481485

In the meantime, more shit news on real wage growth, unemployment rate and economic growth from ONS.

from my saved notepad file

We haven't left yet and the BoE has been quantitative easing to sustain confidence/investment in these uncertain times.

in essence, we're in make up but our backer is prepared to keep our volume of play going

One of the main arguments was that if we voted out then we would quickly see consumer confidence disappear, people would dramatically tighten their spending and that businesses would not take the risks of recruiting/training staff (with the short term costs that incurs), they would cut costs and batten down the hatches. In fact we would be losing hundreds of thousands of jobs.

Whilst our economic growth isnt exactly sparkling, none of the above has really happened.

When are the public and businesses going to do what was forecast by the doom and gloom merchants. March 19 ?

if at all concerned about no deal, which i think we should be

the public should be now (posting live from my larder, surrounded by cans of tinned peaches). Unemployment is going to be a huge factor across many industries and there continues to be a "yes but won't be me guv" attitude across many people, in so far as i can tell

businesses can cut quickly as and when required

So with our exit so close, why are they still recruiting and training staff?

With the cliff edge so close, it makes no sense to recruit staff, train them and six months later ditch them. All that is unnecessary costs - even if they can cut back quickly.

The problem with the philosophy of everyone tightening their belts is of course that recession etc becomes a self fulfilling prophecy in a consumer lead economy (which like it or not is what we are).

I have a feeling the tinned peaches will still be unopened in 2028.

If they're Del Monte you're be fine.
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #13876 on: September 11, 2018, 05:34:29 PM »

Rick is quite right and imo this "we haven't left yet" line is a load of baloney. Businesses do not react in an instant and change strategies with the wind. Strategy will be long term with 3-5yr plans a minimum starting point and business have known about this for 2yrs. Fact is business is built on confidence and such growth stats show confidence is stable. This is good news and we need more of the same.

BOE dabbling with QE isn't pulling the wool over the eyes of business strategists who wont realise what's going on or react until we leave.

Post as many links as possible to crystal ball remarks during negotiations but it's just links to opinions during negotiations. What's the motive for such opinions? What's the leverage intended? It's what actually happens in reality that matters. So to discount actual statistics because 'we haven't left yet' in favour of soothsayer visions of what might happen is pretty untenable.

As an example, sure enough Ralph Speth says Brexit COULD hit profits by £1.2b lah de dah and he even identifies the challenges in advance. But in reality if he has just sat on his hands, hasn't reacted at all, hasn't spent two years preparing for those known challenges and his profits do actually get dented to the tune of £1.2b....well he would be the shittest businessman in the world. So therefore the fact is his profits will not be hit by £1.2b

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #13877 on: September 12, 2018, 07:57:24 AM »

A gathering of the JRM BoJo IDS alliance. If it weren’t so important, it would be hilarious.
Can satire be monetised?

Nothing could possibly go wrong because “any competent government would sort out any problems”. Minford had rather missed yet another obvious flaw in his argument. Looking around the room, it was hard to spot anyone who would count as competent.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/11/brexit-one-plus-one-equals-a-trillion-economists-for-free-trade

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #13878 on: September 12, 2018, 08:47:16 AM »

A gathering of the JRM BoJo IDS alliance. If it weren’t so important, it would be hilarious.
Can satire be monetised?

Nothing could possibly go wrong because “any competent government would sort out any problems”. Minford had rather missed yet another obvious flaw in his argument. Looking around the room, it was hard to spot anyone who would count as competent.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/11/brexit-one-plus-one-equals-a-trillion-economists-for-free-trade

I had a look at the economists for free trade website last night.  Patrick Minford is their beloved leader and about a third of the sources used for "their" paper on Brexit were papers written by Patrick Minford...

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13879 on: September 12, 2018, 10:21:50 AM »

funnily enough, finding it difficult to attract staff

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13880 on: September 12, 2018, 10:22:35 AM »

we had a cunning plan...

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/11/uk-should-remain-eus-closest-ally-after-brexit-may-tells-cabinet

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13881 on: September 12, 2018, 10:46:16 AM »

50 Tories met to discuss getting rid of Theresa May. Luckily for her, that’s all they agree on

Once you get past “Sack Theresa”, Brexiteers are singing from different hymn sheets.

https://www.newstatesman.com/50-conservatives-plot-theresa-may-sack-prime-minister-leadership-brexit-chequers

My eyes are open wide
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #13882 on: September 12, 2018, 01:13:32 PM »

Strange look to PMQs today.

MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #13883 on: September 12, 2018, 05:18:02 PM »

That's a funny article.

Preparing for Brexit and with transport a vital issue Chris Grayling writes to European capitals asking for engagement should no deal occur.

In response Michel Barnier "confronts" Grayling over the request for such engagement and delivers a "reprimand" where speaking on behalf of all EU countries he states "If there is no deal there is no trust"

I mean your first thought might be "we had a cunning plan" but mine is "Michel Barnier, what a wanker"

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #13884 on: September 12, 2018, 06:28:55 PM »

So NHS is actively trying to recruit another 100,000 staff and the Labour bloke says this is caused by austerity?  Run that by me again?
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #13885 on: September 12, 2018, 07:35:25 PM »

So NHS is actively trying to recruit another 100,000 staff and the Labour bloke says this is caused by austerity?  Run that by me again?

Good spot Smiley unrelated but always staggered how huge the NHS is when I stop and think about it

sola virtus nobilitat
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #13886 on: September 12, 2018, 07:46:41 PM »

Haha, was it Diane Abbott by chance or is there another Uber clown in their ranks? 🤣🤣🤣🤡🤡🤡
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #13887 on: September 12, 2018, 07:59:03 PM »

Haha, was it Diane Abbott by chance or is there another Uber clown in their ranks? 🤣🤣🤣🤡🤡🤡

Do we think 8 years of real term pay cuts has played a part in this situation?
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #13888 on: September 12, 2018, 08:03:37 PM »

The financial crisis probably did of which labour would not have dealt with better than the Tories, highly likely worse as they like to piss money down the drain....
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #13889 on: September 12, 2018, 08:09:56 PM »

The financial crisis probably did of which labour would not have dealt with better than the Tories, highly likely worse as they like to piss money down the drain....

Like spending money on people to staff our hospitals? It’s kind of hard to see your point in this context, since we are taking specifically about a failure to provide funding to staff our hospitals.
Pages: 1 ... 922 923 924 925 [926] 927 928 929 930 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: