blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:29:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1143 1144 1145 1146 [1147] 1148 1149 1150 1151 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2198961 times)
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #17190 on: April 27, 2019, 09:06:29 AM »

Agree with you. Not even sure what the point of principle is. Plays well to the people who already support him but plainly ridiculous posturing. Bercow, who knows a thing or two about posturing, confirming his cretinousness again.

sola virtus nobilitat
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #17191 on: April 27, 2019, 09:34:46 AM »

If you are going to draw the line at any US president then Trump is your man.   I thought about this and wondered if it was recency bias, but I just don't think any other president in my life time was so dislikeable. 

But Corbyn always has that issue in that he has been pictured with. a right bunch of rogues over the years.  Hence he does something like this and people can always go "but, hold on..."  And what happens if he becomes PM, and has to meet all kinds of unsavory characters then?  I'd also say what could happen if the Donald is still president, but he already throws so much shit around whatever Corbyn does, so not sure that matters much.  It should, but just don't think it does in the circumstances.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #17192 on: April 27, 2019, 01:46:55 PM »

If you are going to draw the line at any US president then Trump is your man.   I thought about this and wondered if it was recency bias, but I just don't think any other president in my life time was so dislikeable. 

But Corbyn always has that issue in that he has been pictured with. a right bunch of rogues over the years.  Hence he does something like this and people can always go "but, hold on..."  And what happens if he becomes PM, and has to meet all kinds of unsavory characters then?  I'd also say what could happen if the Donald is still president, but he already throws so much shit around whatever Corbyn does, so not sure that matters much.  It should, but just don't think it does in the circumstances.

Nixon was pretty unpleasant. I wouldn’t want to have to make an either/or choice between him and Trump, but ultimately Trump has the slight edge of being ineffective.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #17193 on: April 27, 2019, 02:21:19 PM »

It’s just a non event Corbyn wise, obviously Trump is an utter wanker, so it seems like an OK (albeit unimportant) call. In terms of the the decision to give him a state visit, post Brexit we’ll have to beg, desperately for Trump to be kind and merciful, so buttering him up with a state visit seems like the right call.
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #17194 on: April 27, 2019, 02:56:31 PM »

Nixon was pretty unpleasant. I wouldn’t want to have to make an either/or choice between him and Trump, but ultimately Trump has the slight edge of being ineffective.

Crazy statement.

Go ask anyone working in the U.S. construction industry if they think Trump is ineffective.......

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #17195 on: April 27, 2019, 03:01:23 PM »

Crazy statement.

Go ask anyone working in the U.S. construction industry if they think Trump is ineffective.......

The ones "building" the wall?

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17196 on: April 27, 2019, 04:15:59 PM »

To my knowledge, none of the former presidents were nearly so volatile or mentally unstable.

The older I get, the better I was.
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #17197 on: April 28, 2019, 09:17:20 AM »

The important point would be if Corbyn became PM and Trump was still President.

What does Corbyn do then?

Principles and boycotting things are easy from the back benches. Much tougher if you are a leader where there is a balance to be struck.

bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #17198 on: April 28, 2019, 09:55:55 AM »

To my knowledge, none of the former presidents were nearly so volatile or mentally unstable.

Did any other presidents have access to Twitter?

Ah! The element of surprise
Dewi_cool

Dusk Till Dawn - It's like going home

View Profile
« Reply #17199 on: April 28, 2019, 10:07:02 AM »

Did any other presidents have access to Twitter?

I'm sure Obama did.

The very last hand of the night goes to Dewi James, who finds ACES and talks Raymond O’Mahoney into calling his all-in preflop bet of 15k.  “If I had AQ, I’d call!” says Dewi.  Raymond calls holding pocket 66’s.

Skippy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17200 on: April 28, 2019, 11:04:02 AM »

Principles and boycotting things are easy from the back benches. Much tougher if you are a leader where there is a balance to be struck.

For me the best thing to do is to not invite him if you don't like him (I know it's not up to Corbyn). Once he's been invited, sulking in a corner feels like a mistake. 
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #17201 on: April 29, 2019, 08:19:03 AM »

?

If he became PM, he wouldn't have an option - he would have to meet and greet Trump and others who he doesn't approve of. Right now, he isn't, so he has, so he doesn't.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #17202 on: April 29, 2019, 08:44:10 AM »

?

If he became PM, he wouldn't have an option - he would have to meet and greet Trump and others who he doesn't approve of. Right now, he isn't, so he has, so he doesn't.

Isn't that the worry/risk?

That he'd take 'principle' over any other consideration?

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17203 on: April 29, 2019, 09:13:40 AM »

?

Isn't that the worry/risk?

That he'd take 'principle' over any other consideration?

He's shot himself in the foot by not attending, as it creates an easy win for his opponents to point out his failures as a potential statesman for the UK.  There's a big difference in him turning this invite down as LOTO, compared to Vince Cable doing so, as a party leader with no (theoretical) chance to be PM.

As LOTO, as much as for being PM, there's a moral duty attached to attend events such as this, no matter how much you disagree with them as it's a part of the conventions of international diplomacy (the error here, IMO, is inviting Trump in the first place).  For Corbyn, this is even more the case given the parade of organisations he's been linked with in the past.

What happens now if, and I hope it's never the case, he becomes PM and has to continue the 'special relationship' with the US, which has survived in general regardless of the allegiances of the respective PM/President?  He's given Trump an easy option to play political games with it, based solely on the declined invitation.

Not that any were needed, but it's yet another of the many reasons why Corbyn isn't fit for his current role, never mind that of PM.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17204 on: May 02, 2019, 09:51:05 AM »

Is this historic thread finally losing momentum (pun not intended)?

Cabinet minister sacked for allegedly breaching the Official Secrets Act, Labour continuing to act as two parties sitting under the same banner, UKIP now looking more like the BNP than a party interested in Brexit.  Amid all that, we have local elections today which are intriguing as to what extent the voting public will punish the Tories, Labour and UKIP respectively.  Arguably all deserve to get hammered, but will that prove to be the case?

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
Pages: 1 ... 1143 1144 1145 1146 [1147] 1148 1149 1150 1151 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: