blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:35:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1437 1438 1439 1440 [1441] 1442 1443 1444 1445 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2180407 times)
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21600 on: October 20, 2019, 04:36:34 PM »

Remain
Leave -> Deal
Leave -> No Deal

If between them leave has >50% then the higher of the two options wins.

Although I don't see how no deal can be responsibly be put on the ballot.

Blue text
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21601 on: October 20, 2019, 06:14:00 PM »

I do like the idea of a Referendum World Cup - could be like Eurovision where the semi finals are on Tues/Thur with the final on Saturday.
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #21602 on: October 20, 2019, 06:57:30 PM »

Just watched some of news.

Comment made that Bercow may not even allow a vote tomorrow.

He has already pushed impartiality to its limits.

If this were the case and the Speaker denies the vote, he will have become overtly political.

Given it appears Johnson has the numbers, the attempts by any means to stop him are becoming more and more extreme. Total joke.
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #21603 on: October 20, 2019, 07:08:40 PM »

If this were the case and the Speaker denies the vote, he will have become overtly political.

Given it appears Johnson has the numbers, the attempts by any means to stop him are becoming more and more extreme. Total joke.

I don’t think is about being impartial, I’d say it was more due to parliamentary procedure. I wouldn’t be confident of the numbers either, going to be super close, but there was a switcher from the deal to going against today
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #21604 on: October 20, 2019, 07:12:44 PM »

I don’t think is about being impartial, I’d say it was more due to parliamentary procedure. I wouldn’t be confident of the numbers either, going to be super close, but there was a switcher from the deal to going against today

He may use his interpretation of Parliamentary procedure to suit his strong remain views.

Not really on is it?
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #21605 on: October 20, 2019, 07:15:15 PM »

Could you explain the bolded part for us Aaron? Maybe cite this parliamentary procedure you are referring to.
Explain it in simple terms for me though, because I am one of those less educated folks who voted Leave.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #21606 on: October 20, 2019, 07:23:26 PM »

He may use his interpretation of Parliamentary procedure to suit his strong remain views.

Not really on is it?

I don’t know what to think of it really. You can understand it, but also ask how on earth can we go foward?
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #21607 on: October 20, 2019, 07:23:58 PM »

Sunday Times reporting extension agreed until February.
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #21608 on: October 20, 2019, 09:14:30 PM »

Could you explain the bolded part for us Aaron? Maybe cite this parliamentary procedure you are referring to.
Explain it in simple terms for me though, because I am one of those less educated folks who voted Leave.

After  Letwin went through the government chose not to push the MV. I'm reading that was a mistake and they should have done.
Bercow likely to  rule out of order tomorrow as MV (i) same issue twice (ii) contradicts Letwin amendment which says Brexit related legislation must be agreed first i.e the actual withdrawal agreement and the procedures relating to that.

Doesn't suit Boris but of course the media line will be that he is being denied again and Bercow is a **** blah blah.  All good for Conservative votes when we finally get to GE.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 09:17:05 PM by Archer » Logged
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #21609 on: October 20, 2019, 09:15:32 PM »

Sunday Times reporting extension agreed until February.

Conjecture only and then only if he doesn't get the deal through this week.
neeko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21610 on: October 20, 2019, 09:24:30 PM »

After  Letwin went through the government chose not to push the MV. I'm reading that was a mistake and they should have done.
Bercow likely to  rule out of order tomorrow as MV (i) same issue twice (ii) contradicts Letwin amendment which says Brexit related legislation must be agreed first i.e the actual withdrawal agreement and the procedures relating to that.

Doesn't suit Boris but of course the media line will be that he is being denied again and Bercow is a **** blah blah.  All good for Conservative votes when we finally get to GE.

Disagree, Brexit party will still be live, stripping tories of votes in marginal constituencies- result hung parliament, back round the circle we go.

There is no problem so bad that a politician cant make it worse.

http://www.dec.org.uk
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #21611 on: October 20, 2019, 09:47:11 PM »

Disagree, Brexit party will still be live, stripping tories of votes in marginal constituencies- result hung parliament, back round the circle we go.

I understand the point but if it goes to an election during an extension he is fighting an election without the No Deal option but  still on the hardest of Brexit deals. Complicated.
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21612 on: October 20, 2019, 10:36:02 PM »

Very good thread explaining this further from Lewis Goodall.

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1185989844281020418?s=09

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #21613 on: October 21, 2019, 07:39:45 AM »

However it’s dressed up, the Speaker effectively denying a vote on the deal in Parliament is a really worrying move.

Public confidence in the integrity in Parliament will sink even lower.

If I were Johnson, I’d call a press conference outside the front of number 10 and address the public directly.

Whilst every trick in the book is being played to frustrate progress in the short term, it will keep adding to his GE appeal.

The public are already fed up - the idea that Parliament won’t even vote on the deal will go down like a lead balloon with Joe Public. Bercow will be making a big mistake.
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21614 on: October 21, 2019, 08:19:27 AM »

You're fundamentally missing the point: they already voted on it on Saturday.

Parliament agreed to only hold the MV after the WAB legislation has been scrutinized and passed.

That isn't dressing things up and isn't any sort of agenda by the speaker. It's simply the facts of the situation.

Blue text
Pages: 1 ... 1437 1438 1439 1440 [1441] 1442 1443 1444 1445 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: