blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:52:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272596 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  PC Desktop Help
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PC Desktop Help  (Read 1433 times)
Ant040689

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2015, 04:06:36 PM »

Hi,

I am looking for a desktop that would be able to flourish under the possibility of having up to 10 poker sites open, up to 24 tables, to operate a HUD and the huge database of stats that might ensue, the capability to allow for 3 screens and play music and have websites open etc and not stall and just run smoothly.

I use the word flourish as I am using a laptop at the moment which is stalling all over the shop when i multitable with a 4gb Ram and a 2.50 GHZ processor. If you need any more specs let me know.

What do I need to look out for and are there any value desktops out there that will be good? Is it a 16gb Ram I need or a 32 Ram?

I am pretty clueless about all of this including poker in general Smiley, and will appreciate any help. Cheers.

Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 04:18:07 PM »

Specs of my current laptop below.

Item
   Description
Base
   Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T9300 (2.50 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 6 MB L2 cache)
Memory
   4096MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x2048]
Keyboard
   Uk/Irish Internal Keyboard (QWERTY)
Video Card
   NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 8600M GT with 256MB dedicated graphic memory
Hard Drive
   500GB Serial ATA (5400RPM) Hard Drive
Microsoft Operating System
   Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium SP1- English
Modem
   No Modem
Optical Devices
   Fixed 8x DVD+/-RW Slim Slot Load drive, including SW
Sound Cards
   Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy ADVANCED HD Audio
Wireless Networking
   Intel® Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card - Europe - Core 2 Duo Processors
Shipping Documents
   English Documentation with English/Irish Power Cord - 3 PIN
Gedis Bundle Reference
   N03X5305
Microsoft Application Software
   Microsoft® Works 9.0 / English - (Does not include Microsoft® Word)
Standard Warranty
   1 Year Premium Warranty Support
Enhanced Service Packs
   4 Year Premium Warranty Support
Protect your new PC
   McAfee® Security Centre - 36 Month Protection - English
Power Supply
   AC Adapter 90W - 3 Pin
Mobile Broadband – High-speed wireless connectivity wherever you are
   No Mobile Broadband Selected
Bluetooth
   Dell™ Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module (up to 3Mbps) with Enhanced Data rate - Eur
Order Information
   Inspiron Order - UK
Primary Battery
   Primary 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery (85 WHr)
Carrying Cases
   No Carry Case
Biometric Identification
   Biometric Fingerprint Reader with BLACK accent
Dell System Media Kit
   Resource DVD - (Diagnostics & Drivers)
Colour Choice
   2.0 mega pixel Camera & Tuxedo Black for CCFL Display
Accidental Damage Support
   No Accidental Damage Support
Online Backup
   DataSafe Online Backup 2GB 1 year
TV Tuner and Remote Control
   Dell™ Travel Remote Control
Online Promotion Option for GEDIS Configs
   Dell Internet Order
LCD
   15.4" Widescreen WUXGA (1920x1200) TFT Display with TrueLife™
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 04:22:51 PM »

As much ram as you can afford
A quad core processor
A ssd hard drive

Should do the trick

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 04:23:54 PM »

http://www.cclonline.com/product/169895/NoMfgCode/All-CCL-Desktops/CCL-Elite-Phoenix-Gaming-PC/CCL-EL-PHO/

Mate of mine pointed me to this, when I asked for a decent tower that was ~£400

POWWWWWWWW

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 04:28:33 PM »

Depends on a few factors. The size/resolutions of the screens you're using, whether you're using HEM or PT4, the size of your database. I assume you're playing tourneys so your database won't be that big, but HEM is a hugely resource intensive programme compared to PT4. A 5m+ hand database and HEM is going to take a lot of ram up.
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 04:39:57 PM »

Depends on a few factors. The size/resolutions of the screens you're using, whether you're using HEM or PT4, the size of your database. I assume you're playing tourneys so your database won't be that big, but HEM is a hugely resource intensive programme compared to PT4. A 5m+ hand database and HEM is going to take a lot of ram up.

I don't currently use a hud, but want to. I remember trying to run HEM1 on this system a while back and it stalled too much. I am open to buying PT4 if it means it is less harsh on the system as I will be generating my player databases from scratch anyway. I basically only play tourns as well.

The monitors I will use all will be 1920x1200 (a personal preference of mine).

Seen an ssd mentioned twice now. What size one would be necessary and can they be applied externally to any spec desktop I get?

I am looking for the best value desktop I can get for my needs and was hoping to spend no more than around £500. I do not need a keyboard, mouse or monitor with it.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 04:42:56 PM »

The one I posted has a 120gb SSD, which he said is plenty enough.

I was told to chuck the OS, any poker sites etc. onto that, and everything else can go on the normal HD.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 04:43:55 PM »

I don't currently use a hud, but want to. I remember trying to run HEM1 on this system a while back and it stalled too much. I am open to buying PT4 if it means it is less harsh on the system as I will be generating my player databases from scratch anyway. I basically only play tourns as well.

The monitors I will use all will be 1920x1200 (a personal preference of mine).

Seen an ssd mentioned twice now. What size one would be necessary and can they be applied externally to any spec desktop I get?

I am looking for the best value desktop I can get for my needs and was hoping to spend no more than around £500. I do not need a keyboard, mouse or monitor with it.

I'm the same as yourself, I just want to replace my tower, as both my monitors are fine.

muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 07:12:28 PM »

http://www.cclonline.com/product/169895/NoMfgCode/All-CCL-Desktops/CCL-Elite-Phoenix-Gaming-PC/CCL-EL-PHO/

Seems like very good value.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 08:10:23 PM »

Seems like very good value.

The guy who suggested it used to do a bit of DIY PC stuff himself, and Longines from here said it looked good, too.

Just got to stop being lazy, and get around to sorting it out Smiley

Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2015, 11:48:56 AM »

cheers for the help btw guys.

I will post up a few links when I am ready to purchase, and see what you guys think is best.
teamonkey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 05:10:21 AM »

Hi,

I am looking for a desktop that would be able to flourish under the possibility of having up to 10 poker sites open, up to 24 tables, to operate a HUD and the huge database of stats that might ensue, the capability to allow for 3 screens and play music and have websites open etc and not stall and just run smoothly.

I use the word flourish as I am using a laptop at the moment which is stalling all over the shop when i multitable with a 4gb Ram and a 2.50 GHZ processor. If you need any more specs let me know.

What do I need to look out for and are there any value desktops out there that will be good? Is it a 16gb Ram I need or a 32 Ram?

I am pretty clueless about all of this including poker in general Smiley, and will appreciate any help. Cheers.

when you say 3 screens i assume you mean 3 monitors

in which case, unless things have changed since i built my lad his gaming PC, you'll need something that is running a dedicated graphics card that has 3 outputs, from the looks of the PC in that link the graphics card is built into the processor, meaning you'll possibly have trouble getting output to your 3 monitors. Of course if you ring the company up and explain what you want there may be a simple solution.

in fact calling them up would probably get you much better help than asking on this forum!! (possibly, maybe, definately, perhaps   *delete as required)

anyway, GL

and if this forum doesnt help, try looking at a website called overclockers, they have a forum there whereby if you tell the chaps there what you want they will specify what you can get for your budget. You will of course have to build it yourself, but my 15 year old lad managed to build one so i'm sure most chaps that can post on here and play some of them there cards could do it

Mick
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: