blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:45:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272619 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  lil dave's lil life
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 ... 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: lil dave's lil life  (Read 219931 times)
77dave

5 2 off

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: March 09, 2016, 09:29:29 AM »

Happily.

Il be there soon so il take some pictures :-)

I'd bet fish is on the menu

Mantis - I would like to thank 77dave for his more realistic take on things.
stribling

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 12, 2016, 08:19:29 PM »

Tell us Any of your many degen stories that may not have been broadcast before please. Always a great read!

You have to Risk it for the biscuit!!!
muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 13, 2016, 02:13:30 AM »

Tell us Any of your many degen stories that may not have been broadcast before please. Always a great read!

Or retell an old one Cheesy in any case just poast moaaaaaarrrrrrr lil D!
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 13, 2016, 11:06:52 AM »

So the new restaurant;

Kinda cool (for me anyways) backstory to this place. When I was working for Graham (my old boss/mentor) he had an amazing restaurant in harrogate, was Fish & Chips (with a takeaway) and an 80 seater restaurant aside it, the restaurant was pretty unique because it combined restaurant Fish & Chips with seafood dishes, bottles of wine, champagne etc, people spending Av £14-£16 a head (this is back when A Tuna Steak cost £9 in a restaurant) which even today is unheard of in Fish and Chips.

It was successful for 3 reasons; 1stly (and I imagine most crucially) the location was pretty sensational - right next to a big conference venue which had 40k people a week from out of town visiting (company expenses cards and so on) 2ndly the quality of the Fish and Chips was restaurant standard (presentation, look etc) and the decor was sophisticated and pleasant enough to be a "proper restaurant".

Ever since selling its been a concept both myself and Graham have been dying to recreate, and about 7 years ago we very nearly bought this place on street lane in leeds - very similar setup, top location, great area, big car park etc but deal fell through, 2 years later same again, then 2 years ago I personally tried to buy it but couldnt reach a deal. Last easter I got a call from the guy saying "lets do a deal" - I didn't have the money or the time to do it then was just about to head off to cyprus for the summer so I threw the deal to Graham. I got back from Cyprus and get a call from Graham saying the deals on and would I come join him, I was very easily persuaded to head up the project in exchange for him financing it.

Sometimes in Life things are just meant to be Smiley

So same plan as before, elevate the fish and chips, improve the decor, jazz up the menu and get people spending more money.

Here's what I got;

Click to see full-size image.

This was the Entrance - This was actually after I re-did the floor, was a shitty blue carpet full of grease, I changed the floor immediately.

That was as you look through, cheap furniture, sachets of sauce on the table etc

View from the other side of the restaurant.

So the biggest challenge is how to take people's minds away from "Just fish a fish and chips cafe" and into the mindset of "this is a restaurant, we can spend a bit of money here" The average spend was £7.20 p/person when we came in, I want to take it to ~£13/£14.

Grahams business is called "The Fisherman's Wife" but as this is a pretty fresh concept we wanted to change it slightly, so we came up with the idea of "The Fisherman's Lodge", Keeping the branding similar so the two businesses are easily linked but this would be "The Fisherman's" place, where his friends would come hang after a hard days fishing, cosy, warm, welcoming etc

Here's what I came up with.

And here's what we did to the decor;

Fish tank replaced with 8ft aquarium, brand new bar area, full wine list/beer selection, some fancy local craft beers, previous capacity was 12 Natural 24 in a group. Now we have 8 Natural and 12 in a group. We also have this really cool old barrel as a bar table Smiley

As you walk in.

View as you walk in.

Kept Menu pretty simple, made it look nice, thrown a few extra things in that sound cool but as sinple as fuck to do Smiley

Front of the menu;

First Page

Had the idea to put this "Fish Tapas" in, its basically a collection of 10 products, most of which are bought in and deep fried but presenting in a cool way (cant find a picture of any food at the moment Sad ) and make the menu look miles more sophisticated/advanced than it is in reality - also its a nice thing for people to share 1 as a couple, or for a party of 3-5 to get 3 for £10 to share as a starter etc, throwing that av spend up a little Wink

Second Page - just your standard fish and chips menu

Meat and Veg, always a difficult one, as it's never going to be big sellers it's hard to put on loads of choice as you either need frozen stuff or you waste too much, then when you put on rubbish selection you'll miss out on every group of 4 that includes a vegetarian or someone who doesn't like fish Sad Still a work in progress...

I've taken a group of really good, enthusiastic cafe staff and slowly turning into a restaurant, Av spend up to £11.50 from £7.20 and takings are about 30% increased so far, loooooooooooooong way to go.

And there you have it the fruits of my last 5 months work !

Feedback welcome, if you can spot the most stupidest of all typos on the menu then PLEASE don't say anything my morale cant handle it Tongue

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 13, 2016, 11:24:07 AM »

Hmmm, unfortunately the best 10 are all probably off limits, you'll have to get me by a bar with a drink to get those out of me.

Have a pretty funny degenerate story from Miami a few years back...

Was in st.kitts with Flushy, Dubai, JP etc and we'd been playing the DTD festival over there - plans were to head on to vegas afterwards, we had a 1 night layover in Miami which was pretty fun as we had a friend in Miami who we went out with when we were there, also had one of the best meals I've ever had there too, look at this steak!!

Had a great night out, really fell in love with Miami so me and JP decided to extend our stay here for another night and fly to vegas in a couple of days. Flushy asked us if we'd carry $10k for him as he was over his limit for cash (would not have done this flushy) sure nps bang it in the safe Tongue

ME and Jp kicked off the next night by going to the bar to watch some football...after the football we got involved in the most high tense and strategic game of shuffleboard ever, and by the time our friend came to collect us at 8pm for dinner we were smasssssssssshed. After dinner and more (and more) drinks we decided to go back to the shuffleboard venue to take on the locals, armed with Flushy's $10k and did the whole lot.

Flushy came to pick us up in Vegas and asked for his money...arkwards.

Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 13, 2016, 11:33:46 AM »

Love the restaurant mate and glad it's working out well for you, seems a while since me and Dubai got you down to Essex for the day in your jumper and coat despite it being nearly 30degrees 😜

Keep this going and may bounce a few things off you soon.

Andrew Charles Blacklock - Lived for those he loved and those he loved remember.
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 13, 2016, 11:59:10 AM »

Love the restaurant mate and glad it's working out well for you, seems a while since me and Dubai got you down to Essex for the day in your jumper and coat despite it being nearly 30degrees 😜

Keep this going and may bounce a few things off you soon.

When you're from the North, you always have a jumper and coat.

Cool

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 13, 2016, 08:12:24 PM »

That looks like a tremendous project David, and I wish you the best of good luck with it, not that I think you'll need any as it looks like a great set-up.

I'm definitely coming up for a visit, in fact the next time Flushy or Eso comes up to try and hustle me at golf a visit to The Fisherman's Lodge will be added to the stakes that we play for, so prepare yourself for the blow-by-blow golf bad-beat story.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 13, 2016, 08:54:03 PM »

That looks like a tremendous project David, and I wish you the best of good luck with it, not that I think you'll need any as it looks like a great set-up.

I'm definitely coming up for a visit, in fact the next time Flushy or Eso comes up to try and hustle me at golf a visit to The Fisherman's Lodge will be added to the stakes that we play for, so prepare yourself for the blow-by-blow golf bad-beat story.
Looks like I will be paying then 😞

Andrew Charles Blacklock - Lived for those he loved and those he loved remember.
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 13, 2016, 10:40:58 PM »

Looks like I will be paying then 😞
Sweet. Il be sure to post a copy of the wine list and speciality gin menu!

Would be great to see you all, speshly if eso paying :-)

Thanks for kind words guys :-)

Rich email me let's get talking :-p

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 14, 2016, 12:49:54 AM »

Do something a little bit different from the others and have good food and it will ways be a winner.

This place has a joint in Leeds and Notts, they have done it out like a Thai street food market, way better than others who have tried it half arse. The result is they are busy on a Monday night, and fri/sat they are jammed with a long wait....smart people.

http://www.zaapthai.co.uk

Good luck with your venture.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 12:54:51 AM by Woodsey » Logged
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 14, 2016, 04:13:09 PM »

ahhh yeahhhh Iv seen these guys, very very good.

Yeah, lots to learn and plenty to do. Thanks Woodsey

dakky

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 14, 2016, 05:00:30 PM »

What's the poker room?
WotRTheChances
MinRaiseFTW, WotRTheChances, Quelles_Sont

#Team_Eureka

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 14, 2016, 05:36:06 PM »

Got a brand new 8ft fish tank and stocked it with goldfish? Shocking behaviour.
Other than that abomination, restaurant looks amazing Cheesy
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 15, 2016, 07:30:22 PM »

come back into the gambling world with an absolute bang for chelt this week,

Started pretty meh, 4th and 400th in the first, 16-1 winner in the second, no good in the third, had the leader the whole way in the 4.10 but the mullins fave had it nailed in the last 1/4 and i dont thin it even placed, then had a win only 14-1 shot beaten by a whisker in the last. Lost £250 on the day, but have money in my pocket/online account for tomorrow which on a Tuesday at Cheltnam is really all you can hope for Smiley

God I've missed gambling.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 ... 52 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: