blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:07:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  lil dave's lil life
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 ... 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: lil dave's lil life  (Read 218377 times)
Nakor
Tinca Tinca

Serve the spider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: August 01, 2015, 06:59:57 PM »

Is Bobby's Room just a matter of having the relevant buy in? Or do you have to get invited?
Were you nervous first time?

Shit post Nakor, such a clown.

What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 01, 2015, 11:59:09 PM »

Yes, was amazing to play there, I was nervous tbh yeah

No you just have to have reddies, the minimum minimum buy in for a game is $20k. There was some ballin mixed game going on next to me when I played in there, Abe mosseri, Danny Aliae, Eli Elezra amongst others. I tried to count how much money Abe Mosseri had on the table but couldn't, comfortably $5m, mostly cash. So cool!!

I played twice in there, both NL games and both quite tough, think maybe I paid the tourist prices these games...  :-D

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 02, 2015, 05:39:39 PM »

sorry gone a little cold been up to my eyeballs in action lately Smiley

I'll be here tomorrow Smiley

I KNOW IT

I'm the one the right ;)

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 02, 2015, 10:03:20 PM »

Really enjoying this diary.  Can you tell Loz Gosney that Craig Wildman said hello and can you pm his phone number as I've lost it ( obviously ask him first ) and tell him he needs to get his ass over to China to see me, a few guys from Leeds come into my bar .
 Also ask him about his rail when he won his bracelet and who was most vocal lol. That was possibly the first infamous British rail at the WSOP.
Keep posting

Also need to get to sleep as I'm taking all my staff white water rafting in 3 hours.
#gettingtoooldforthisstuff
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 10:06:37 PM by I KNOW IT » Logged

You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them." "Heart is what separates the good from the great. '

"All money is good, just the quantity makes it better"
      My Dad

"Poker Players and Vultures are alike. They both live off the flesh of the weak"
         Tony Bolto
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 02, 2015, 10:17:13 PM »

Really enjoying this diary.  Can you tell Loz Gosney that Craig Wildman said hello and can you pm his phone number as I've lost it ( obviously ask him first ) and tell him he needs to get his ass over to China to see me, a few guys from Leeds come into my bar .
 Also ask him about his rail when he won his bracelet and who was most vocal lol. That was possibly the first infamous British rail at the WSOP.
Keep posting

Also need to get to sleep as I'm taking all my staff white water rafting in 3 hours.

You run a bar in China,eh and like a bit of rafting?

Good start to your diary that...best pop it in a different thread to Dave's though! Wink
I KNOW IT

I'm the one the right ;)

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 03, 2015, 01:22:49 AM »

Keep posting

You run a bar in China,eh and like a bit of rafting?

Good start to your diary that...best pop it in a different thread to Dave's though! Wink

Haha, I've led an eventful life in many ways but I will leave the diary to the guys who know how to write them .....and tikay of cause   Wink

You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them." "Heart is what separates the good from the great. '

"All money is good, just the quantity makes it better"
      My Dad

"Poker Players and Vultures are alike. They both live off the flesh of the weak"
         Tony Bolto
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 03, 2015, 07:37:48 AM »

You seem to be a lover of the game but if someone offered you 1m a year as long as you never gamble. Do you take it?

Hey mate <3 £1m never to gamble again, defo not - no even close, it's nothing to do with the money either, I would say from this point in my life im unlikely to make £1m at gambling so I'm sure it's +EV to accept but Ilove to gamble, even just recreationally I really enjoy gambling, betting football on saturdays, betting on the darts when it's on, the snooker etc, even just playing blackjack/craps/roulette etc I really enjoy. I do what I want cos I like doing it and there is no point in having money if you cant do the things you like doing Smiley

I find myself in a somewhat weird position where I like grinding because it's fun to me, and the positive financial aspects are largely a bonus. Would you pursue a similar lifestyle if the rewards were halved? Quartered? How much does money really mean to you? I'm fairly sure it doesn't have a direct relationship to my own happiness but it seems like a cash game grinder is working a more traditional job.

You find yourself in such a lovely position because you're doing something for a job that you really enjoy. I remember my brief spell in that sports shop and I used to wake up in the mornings and think "oh my god it's the day fucking hell I cant wait till it's over" this is noway to live your life every day, annoyed that you're awake and wishing the next ten hours away, life's too short. I've met guys before with all the money and things they ever wanted, and other guys with 5% of what those guys have and one is miserable as fuck and the other couldn't be happier, if you find away to survive and you enjoy it then you have won at life, once it's all about money and things before YOU (and what you want) then you've lost.

So in answer to your question yes I would still, just like if something I'd have wanted to do more came along I would almost certainly have done that. I more fell into pro gambling rather than deciding I wanted to do that, your path in was determined,mine was more casual lol.

In answer to the question what does money mean to me, nowadays it means an awful lot to me, when I first started out it didn't mean a great deal because actually I had no real need for any large amount of money, my basic living costs p/ month between 20-24 about £1k so as long as I had that I had no worries, I had a great network of friends in poker and if hard times came (which they did) then I could always borrow a bit or get staked and would soon be back on my feet and flying again. This meant shooting at big games, buying things or going on silly trips was all justified in my mind, I don't REALLY need the money so let's spend on having fun/trying to make fortunes. I guess on reflection I could have put some amounts away into house fund or something and set up some security for myself that way, but that wasn't really my personality and my view was always if I have cash monies then they should be in play and working for me, not tossing around in some 5% bank account or ISA. Actually though I was pretty sensible with my money in that I always looked to invest it in stuff rather than buy silly things, andI still earn today from money I made in gambling 4 years ago so a pat on the back for me !

As I gotten a little older things have changed, now I have financial commitments and have seen so many downswings and upswings that my attitude is completely different, now I don't embrace going broke anymore, as I once did, I'm actually pretty scared of it and it's certainly true that each time you go down and come up your resilience is damaged a little. The money is so much more real now too than it used to be, and I guess I'll never be the same gambler as I once was (utterly fearless) which is kinda sad but this is life.

This is why it really breaks my heart when I see guys 18/19 come onto blonde and say "ima gonna be pro" and start off with an X buyin bankroll at /10c and then look straight away at being staked for 25c/50c when they have practically zero life expenses and commitments, this is the best times of you life financially you can take risk after risk after risk and it's absolutely fine because the price you get is so good, if you hit it then now you're off and running, if you miss and fall then it really doesn't matter one fkn bit... I was constantly busto at 18-19 (I was swimming round a marina cleaning boats ffs) virtually everyone I know was broke when they were 19 too - you're not supposed to have any money at 19! You gotta make the most of it and enjoy it because it's a luxury that even me at 26 is quite jealous of now, and once it goes it goes forever. So when you come into £2k or something at 19 dont "invest into a poker bankroll" ffs go on a holiday somewhere see something most 19 yr olds cant afford to do, using it to play 25c/50c instead or 10c/20c just crushes your soul.

I feel good though that i took advantage of it when I was that age.

Very fun question btw.

If Plo was banned what would your game of choice be?

WHAT! NO PLO! Ha, well I guess NLHE still technically my second best game (actually been playing a fair bit of NLHE out here and blown the cobwebs off) although I suppose I would stick then to the UK mixed games, super-stud/padooki etc as i'm almost certainly comparatively better at those games to the field than I am at NLHE. I'd play more tournaments this is for sure Smiley luckily no-one is banning PLO!

I've played a lot of No Limit Omaha lately, as you are well aware Adam Smiley

How much has the most winning poker player won? Purely through poker play or staking not including opening sites etc

hmmm. I would say $150m - $200m lifetime and also I would bet HEAVY money that this person is not in the top 500 poker players in the world in terms of ability. Actually I would bet LARGE money he isn't in the top 2,500

That's utter guess work on my part mind.

I know some very, very good pro's making like $6-$10m p/ y - it's all about where you play not how you play for the big monies! You don't have to run faster than the bear ...

Can you remember our poker billionaire conversation? Still think it's true?

Hmmm, not sure I do, we used to have a lot of conversations at 7am when I was hammered and coming in from blackjack session Cheesy - the younger, more wreckless me ofc...

The gambling world is much richer for you being dragged out of retirement.

Thank-you <3

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 03, 2015, 07:41:32 AM »

Keep posting

Lawrence has shared some stories about his WSOP rail lol, not too many I would be thanked for posting on here Cheesy

Bar in china!? Awesome, where abouts and how long have you been there?

I'll side-step the white water rafting topic for now Cheesy unless you have some pictures?

Ofc I will do that.

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 03, 2015, 07:42:19 AM »

Well, no lol the VERY first thing I did was spend £1,000 on a watch (which I still have a LOVE to this day) but the next thing after that...

Any guesses?

Busto?

NOPE Smiley

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 03, 2015, 07:43:17 AM »

Have to say I got pretty excited reading about that day of poker in Vegas even though I think I remembered how it ended!

Can you share some fun/memorable experiences of playing with the legend that is Laurence Gosney?

Ha, yes it was an exciting day, its funny how I remember the feelings of that day like it was 15 minutes ago, but cant remember details to save my life... Kinda like one of those out of body experiences where you live and breathe entirely on instincts!

Yes, yes oh yes I can share Lawrence Gosney stories and will be very glad to do so...However I've still not been to bed, and if im posting Lawrence stories then I simply must do them justice. I've known him since I first started playing poker in Leeds and he remains one of my favorite people till this day, a complete hero of mine.

So just hold that thought!!

Can't wait for this, played with him a good few times in my younger days & he always amazed me.  He was always talking, seemed to be barely paying attention & must have called my exact hand on no less than 5 occasions.

In the market for a nice Ford Focus, you got anything for me?

That ship has sailed. It was the best cut & shut I've ever owned...

ffs, just my luck.

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 03, 2015, 07:46:35 AM »

Don't really do any real "diary style" updates but i'll give you a quick account of what happened last night...

I was driving to a poker game when I run into this police stop thing where they are stopping everyone and checking their documents. I wasn't worried about this at all until they ask for my DL and I remember I don't know where it is... 4 hours later after not being able to get hold of it the police man tells me he "knew the minute he saw me I did not have a DL" and I am fined quite hevily for not having a license. Now also, my friend, who's car I was driving gets the same fine, for allowing me who is unlicensed, to drive - along with a 3 month ban from driving... 2 days after he bought himself a new sports car.

Whoops/FUCK.

AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: August 03, 2015, 11:42:05 AM »

Don't really do any real "diary style" updates but i'll give you a quick account of what happened last night...

I was driving to a poker game when I run into this police stop thing where they are stopping everyone and checking their documents. I wasn't worried about this at all until they ask for my DL and I remember I don't know where it is... 4 hours later after not being able to get hold of it the police man tells me he "knew the minute he saw me I did not have a DL" and I am fined quite hevily for not having a license. Now also, my friend, who's car I was driving gets the same fine, for allowing me who is unlicensed, to drive - along with a 3 month ban from driving... 2 days after he bought himself a new sports car.

Whoops/FUCK.

Eh? So you don't actually have a driving licence?
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 03, 2015, 12:04:00 PM »

I do but was given only 2 hours at 9.30pm on a sunday night to get it to the police station...I explained I couldn't get it until the next morning but that apparently = I DONT HAVE A DL.

The guy basically said to me, "Look I know and knew from the first minute I saw you that you did not have a license, so pay fine" I explained that I did and he said ok if you can produce it tomorrow then we cut your fine.

Today I took it to the station and they agreed to reduce my fine, then after loads of arguing they decided they would not refund any money and instead confiscated my license for 3 months (only in N Cyprus, not in the UK or anywhere else) even though they did this by just taking my physical card, no paperwork or anything. This is the problem with fake countries lol - they just decide what rules are as they go along, I'm 95% sure the big police guy who caused all the fuss initially set out to do so because he doesn't like me, and then decided he was going to steal the refund money.

A little rakeback to the Occupied Republic of North Cyprus Wink

AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: August 03, 2015, 12:52:16 PM »

I do but was given only 2 hours at 9.30pm on a sunday night to get it to the police station...I explained I couldn't get it until the next morning but that apparently = I DONT HAVE A DL.

The guy basically said to me, "Look I know and knew from the first minute I saw you that you did not have a license, so pay fine" I explained that I did and he said ok if you can produce it tomorrow then we cut your fine.

Today I took it to the station and they agreed to reduce my fine, then after loads of arguing they decided they would not refund any money and instead confiscated my license for 3 months (only in N Cyprus, not in the UK or anywhere else) even though they did this by just taking my physical card, no paperwork or anything. This is the problem with fake countries lol - they just decide what rules are as they go along, I'm 95% sure the big police guy who caused all the fuss initially set out to do so because he doesn't like me, and then decided he was going to steal the refund money.

A little rakeback to the Occupied Republic of North Cyprus Wink

Ah ok, misread the hand. Thought you were in the UK and was going to recommend you get any lawyer that isn't Lionel Hutz.

Crazy how reliant you are on police not being corrupt in most parts of the world. Should be a given, and it absolutely isn't. I realise the UK is not immune to this either.

So happy you are blogging again.
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: August 03, 2015, 01:03:46 PM »

As I gotten a little older things have changed, now I have financial commitments and have seen so many downswings and upswings that my attitude is completely different, now I don't embrace going broke anymore, as I once did, I'm actually pretty scared of it and it's certainly true that each time you go down and come up your resilience is damaged a little. The money is so much more real now too than it used to be, and I guess I'll never be the same gambler as I once was (utterly fearless) which is kinda sad but this is life.

Just reminded me of this. Still one of the best things I ever published at PokerPlayer http://www.pokerplayer365.com/news/features-news/dave-lildave-nicholson-thinks-that-poker-is-the-best-way-to-solve-this-countrys-economic-issues/
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 ... 52 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: