blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 09:54:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272431 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 529674 times)
zerofive

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2015, 01:06:40 PM »

What's up guys.

It seems a few of the regulars in the "Blonde will make thin" thread are focussing their efforts towards what is basically the opposite goal; rather than ditch the weight, they're looking to pack on some size in the form of muscle. I think it's a decent idea to start a new thread, rather than get wires crossed. Here we can discuss targets, strategies, routines, diets and so on.

As some of you know already, iRaise and I have a bit of friendly competition going on for who can get the strongest lifts out by the end of the year. I think Matt has jumped on board, trying to match some personal bests he set a few years back, and muckthenuts is eating literally everything he lays eyes on in order to boost his numbers too. Everyone has a goal, and this thread will give us some accountability and motivation. Should be great for morale.

Anyone else who has some gym targets is invited to get involved. Let me see some hands.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 02:03:48 PM »

In.

For clarity for me and Sean, I think our numbers are based on Squat, Deadlift, Bench and OHP? I am sure we will move into other aspects like Pull ups etc at some point.

My first aim is to get a 200kg deadlift, having posted publicly my first failed attempt, it is top of the list. Due to a slight shoulder niggle, I won't be pressing to heavy until probably October ish, so Sean has a good head start there (getting the excuses in early).

I am guessing Matt is going to smash us both at the pressing as I know he was a strong presser back in the day, and a touch of competition might make him relive that. Not sure Matts Squat and Dead numbers? Maybe he can enlighten us?

Any other previous lifters or current lifters feel free to get involved. Mine and Sean's numbers aren't overly impressive, but talking to each other for a year or so has definitely helped us consistently progress. 

I am a massive science geek, and dislike most of the 'broscience' way of gym. (it is the main reason people get hurt and don't succeed). So I will try and give balanced views based on evidence, as opposed to 'The guy who is huge told me this'.

GL everyone
craigbetts

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 02:36:01 PM »

I would welcome advice on how to improve my strength, despite digesting all the usual programs i really have plateaued in terms of weights i lift.

At present I do 7 'gym' sessions a week, this is broke down as a roughly 4 cv sessions and 3 'weight' sessions, the later always consists of 1 crossfit session. The other two are a mixture of a body weight circuits and a lucky dip of body parts in the weights bay. I usually warm up, then target each body part with an exercise. I usually do four sets of each exercise and will do two exercises on my back, then work down my body, legs are fitted in with some cv days, always crossfit and probably one set of weighted squats a week. Recently I have tried to focus on dead lifts, squats and bench press as these are the 'big 3' yet I rarely feel I can increase my puny discs on the Olympic bars.

I expect that some of the advice will be to drop the cv sessions, but for one reason or another I just can not. Sometimes these eat into my weighty sessions. I feel this almost answers my initial request for help, although I often look at others who have an excellent weight/ cv balance and perform in both aspects. Would really welcome the opinions of Sean, Harvey and anyone who has any recommendations. Thanks, spaghetti arms.

"We're not here to take part, we're here to take over"
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 03:10:44 PM »

I would welcome advice on how to improve my strength, despite digesting all the usual programs i really have plateaued in terms of weights i lift.

At present I do 7 'gym' sessions a week, this is broke down as a roughly 4 cv sessions and 3 'weight' sessions, the later always consists of 1 crossfit session. The other two are a mixture of a body weight circuits and a lucky dip of body parts in the weights bay. I usually warm up, then target each body part with an exercise. I usually do four sets of each exercise and will do two exercises on my back, then work down my body, legs are fitted in with some cv days, always crossfit and probably one set of weighted squats a week. Recently I have tried to focus on dead lifts, squats and bench press as these are the 'big 3' yet I rarely feel I can increase my puny discs on the Olympic bars.

I expect that some of the advice will be to drop the cv sessions, but for one reason or another I just can not. Sometimes these eat into my weighty sessions. I feel this almost answers my initial request for help, although I often look at others who have an excellent weight/ cv balance and perform in both aspects. Would really welcome the opinions of Sean, Harvey and anyone who has any recommendations. Thanks, spaghetti arms.

The obvious suggestion would be to really focus your goals. Everything you listed above is going to be making you fitter, healthier and so on, but if you really want to increase your big 3 then your weight sessions should be based around those lifts and some accessory stuff to assist them.

There's really no need to drop your cardio. It's possible to really boost your strength with as few as two weight sessions per week so, as long as you're eating properly, I'd say it's fine (and even encouraged) to get in plenty of cardio in, as it's crucial to stay athletic and limber.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 03:12:11 PM »

I am guessing Matt is going to smash us both at the pressing as I know he was a strong presser back in the day,

Matt, he's saying you're ancient Wink

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 05:17:18 PM »

Think Sean's points are spot on.

NEVER underestimate how much food it takes to get stronger. And if your energy expenditure is high, (you go to the gym nearly twice as much as me, and I eat circa 3500 kcals a day) you are going to need to replace that energy.

Crossfit should in theory make you stronger, but as there as so many opinions/versions/takes on it I am not sure. If you crossfit sessions are designed around Olympic lifts you are going to get very strong.

Also reps are important, if you are doing 4x10, you aren't particularly testing strength.

The main reasons I see why people don't get stronger are:

Not enough food
Poor technique on lifts
Don't recover well enough
Don't go to the gym eye-balled in coffee (maybe being a bit OTT there, but there is a huge benefit on performance in caffeine, and even if you are saturated, drinking it will give you a placebo benefit)

If you wanna Skype for any hour, let me know and we can arrange. So much easier to help you find a plan, if I know as much as I can about you/your lifestyle.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 05:18:55 PM »

I am guessing Matt is going to smash us both at the pressing as I know he was a strong presser back in the day,

Matt, he's saying you're ancient Wink

Haha, experienced 
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 07:06:01 PM »

I am guessing Matt is going to smash us both at the pressing as I know he was a strong presser back in the day, and a touch of competition might make him relive that. Not sure Matts Squat and Dead numbers? Maybe he can enlighten us?

Not too sure about 'smashing' both of you...... Surprising how the age difference hinders!!

'Back in the day' as you put it (ahem!!) I never did single rep max attempts so I honestly don't know what my absolute peaks would be. I could bench 140kg for maybe 4 or 5 reps but hardly ever did it. I usually stuck at 120kg because I preferred to target failure at 8 to 10 reps. I could dumbbell chest press 50kg for about 12 to 15 reps. They didn't have anything bigger apart from 70kg so not sure how heavy I may have gone. One rep max for bench I'd guess at 160kg. For dumbbells I'd say 60kg.

I was pretty good at overhead press but very often tweaked my shoulder so I really cut this back and stayed careful. For barbell I'd do 80kg and dumbbell up to 40kg. Again these were for minimum 6 reps so no idea what my single rep max would be.

As for squats again there's no single rep max. I always had slightly dodgy knees and a bit of a hernia type twinge which both made me very paranoid so I stayed steady. I could do 140kg reasonable easily for 8 reps but never ever pushed to the point I'd even need a spot. Single rep max may well have been 180kg or so but there's no way in hell I'd attempt it.

Deadlifts would be similar to squats. I didn't do them often and when I did it would be for 8 or so reps rather than a single rep max lift. I could do 140kg pretty easily without worrying about injury. Not sure what my single rep max would be. I used to shrug 180kg without a rack so at least that I suppose Smiley

Don't shrug 180kg btw!! It gives you amazing delts but very sloped shoulders!! Much better to do half the weight and get a perfect shrug rather than just pile on loads of weight and have to cheat a bit!!

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 07:15:22 PM »

NEVER underestimate how much food it takes to get stronger. And if your energy expenditure is high, (you go to the gym nearly twice as much as me, and I eat circa 3500 kcals a day) you are going to need to replace that energy.

To add a little perspective to this.

When I was at my absolute peak of training I was doing hard weights sessions 5 times per week, Ju-Jitsu twice a week, kick boxing twice per week, squash once per week and a steady session (abs, swim and a sauna) in a more sedentary chill out type gym 3 or 4 evenings a week.

I didn't do any pure cardio such as cross fit or running but I'm sure that the fighting and squash was burning calories at a similar rate.

At the time I was 16st 10lb and very lean at maybe 12% body fat and I had to consume about 5500 calories per day to maintain that lean weight.

You really have to eat a lot to get bigger!!

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 07:33:38 PM »

The thing that leaps out at me is the lack of structure in your weights routines. A 'lucky dip' of body parts isn't going to get you anywhere. You say that you want to increase your strength but 2/3 of your weights routine consists of cross-fit and body weight exercises. Your body only gets strong for what you ask it to do so your body is going to adapt itself to cross fit and body weight stuff as well as a 'lucky dip' of what might get thrown at it. It's no great shock that it's not getting bigger as it doesn't need to.

Training multiple body parts on the same day won't be helping you much either. If you're doing chest, back, arms and legs on the same day then you're not doing enough on each bit. Also as you hit them again a few days later you won't have time to recover.

I don't think you need to drop the CV sessions but could you drop the cross fit and try something like:

Monday - CV
Tuesday - Back/triceps
Wednesday - CV
Thursday - Legs/biceps
Friday - CV
Saturday - Chest/shoulders
Sunday - CV

Focussing on a split routine should really help you boost each individual body part and pack on a bit of size provided of course you're eating sufficient quantities of quality food.

Good luck!!

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 07:53:23 PM »

The thing that leaps out at me is the lack of structure in your weights routines. A 'lucky dip' of body parts isn't going to get you anywhere. You say that you want to increase your strength but 2/3 of your weights routine consists of cross-fit and body weight exercises. Your body only gets strong for what you ask it to do so your body is going to adapt itself to cross fit and body weight stuff as well as a 'lucky dip' of what might get thrown at it. It's no great shock that it's not getting bigger as it doesn't need to.

Training multiple body parts on the same day won't be helping you much either. If you're doing chest, back, arms and legs on the same day then you're not doing enough on each bit. Also as you hit them again a few days later you won't have time to recover.

I don't think you need to drop the CV sessions but could you drop the cross fit and try something like:

Monday - CV
Tuesday - Back/triceps
Wednesday - CV
Thursday - Legs/biceps
Friday - CV
Saturday - Chest/shoulders
Sunday - CV

Focussing on a split routine should really help you boost each individual body part and pack on a bit of size provided of course you're eating sufficient quantities of quality food.

Good luck!!

I think it all depends on levels. If you want a high level of strength you may want to be more sophisticated. But to increase strength, full body split 3x per week is going to be more than enough. The trend in the industry at the minute is DUP training, basically training body parts more than once a week, and varying hypertrophy and strength. This is bein used for both too, and to a lot of success. If you are a natural athlete, training body parts multiple times a week is far more efficient.

All of this is meaningless without knowing more though. For example, if you only have three sessions a week to do it in, full body is the only option in the short run, I don't give anyone a program that splits until they are training 4/5 per week. And i still split upper/lower.

I slightly disagree with Matt's point about not being able to do enough. For example I think for 90% of natural trainees, they dont get enough good quality work in an hour. Splitting it 30/30 on different days significantly increases the quality.

If you have been training for 10 plus years, the rules clearly change.

Totally agree with Matt about structure. Having that, and a plan is crucial, so so so crucial
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 07:56:36 PM »

Not too sure about 'smashing' both of you...... Surprising how the age difference hinders!!

'Back in the day' as you put it (ahem!!) I never did single rep max attempts so I honestly don't know what my absolute peaks would be. I could bench 140kg for maybe 4 or 5 reps but hardly ever did it. I usually stuck at 120kg because I preferred to target failure at 8 to 10 reps. I could dumbbell chest press 50kg for about 12 to 15 reps. They didn't have anything bigger apart from 70kg so not sure how heavy I may have gone. One rep max for bench I'd guess at 160kg. For dumbbells I'd say 60kg.

I was pretty good at overhead press but very often tweaked my shoulder so I really cut this back and stayed careful. For barbell I'd do 80kg and dumbbell up to 40kg. Again these were for minimum 6 reps so no idea what my single rep max would be.

As for squats again there's no single rep max. I always had slightly dodgy knees and a bit of a hernia type twinge which both made me very paranoid so I stayed steady. I could do 140kg reasonable easily for 8 reps but never ever pushed to the point I'd even need a spot. Single rep max may well have been 180kg or so but there's no way in hell I'd attempt it.

Deadlifts would be similar to squats. I didn't do them often and when I did it would be for 8 or so reps rather than a single rep max lift. I could do 140kg pretty easily without worrying about injury. Not sure what my single rep max would be. I used to shrug 180kg without a rack so at least that I suppose Smiley

Don't shrug 180kg btw!! It gives you amazing delts but very sloped shoulders!! Much better to do half the weight and get a perfect shrug rather than just pile on loads of weight and have to cheat a bit!!

I think all those numbers crush me and Sean significantly right now, I know I would be over the moon with 3x140kg for a squat.

I tend to use shrugs for grip strength, with the bonus of delts. As deads are my primary exercise, my grip sucks after 140/150 without chalk and alternate.

Agree with you about form, how people have any shoulder left after going for heavy shrugs is crazy. See some horribly versions, much prefer a full ROM/controlled shrug for delt size and more importantly shoulder health.

Matt where are you at with pull ups? No idea what weight/leverage you are/have?

I know next year I want to bring in more and more calisthenics.
muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2015, 08:08:44 PM »

Of course in for this! Considering i started off as a total noob i'm relatively pleased with my overall progress so far. Going to try and kick it up a notch and really push myself hard over the course of the next few months, i want to squat 5x5 100kg by 31st December 2015.  
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2015, 08:18:23 PM »

Of course in for this! Considering i started off as a total noob i'm relatively pleased with my overall progress so far. Going to try and kick it up a notch and really push myself hard over the course of the next few months, i want to squat 5x5 100kg by 31st December 2015.  

I remember the first time I did this, was such a huge confidence boost, i did 8x2 from 80-100 preceding it, so I could get used to having it on my back.

Whats your current routine like?
craigbetts

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2015, 08:21:14 PM »

Many thanks for the feedback, I would love to take you up on your offer Harvey. Essentially I have always had a base level of fitness from sport and running and the occasional gym session. Recently I have been suffering from running injuries and have been planning on diversifying my sessions. The only true time in my life I added any bulk was when I had a knee operation and was unable to do my cv for 3 months, I just targeted the weights and put a bit of extra on. This was shifted when I started running again.

As for current sessions, two of these are organised sessions which I am required to attend, so the crossfit is included in this. In truth I am not a big fan, I never really feel I develop in this area and fatigue during exercises at the same time every session. It is just flavour of the month where I am.

I once tried adding structure with targeting specific body parts although I didn't feel I progressed so slipped back into enjoying my sessions by mixing it up. I am a fan of training with another person and just taking it in turns to pick the next exercise, I guess that's my motivation. I am a fan of thinking back first, lat pull downs, pull ups etc then next time I will do totally different exercises.

Nutrition wise I am savvy although due to my cv sessions I often top up on sugar based snacks as I feel they have been earned. A typical days food would be weetabix, banana, kiwi fruit, eggs on toast, apple, few biscuits with brews, pasta dish/chciken or tuna (lots of cheese which i know is bad)for main and a yoghurt. Yeah I have a few treats of cake, chocolate, Kettle chips and the likes but these are once a week, as I believe a little is best. Should I be taking whey protein to add weight?

"We're not here to take part, we're here to take over"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: