blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:42:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272534 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 533574 times)
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: September 07, 2015, 03:16:47 PM »

The 5x5 programme works out the warmup sets for you - unless you're seeking a 2nd opinion on them?
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 07, 2015, 03:20:48 PM »

Sup guys, can i get some advice on warm up sets?

If you were aiming to squat 5x5 at 80kg for the first time how would you approach your warm up? What sort of intensity is beneficial before warm ups will fatigue you before you've even begun your actual 5x5 stuff?

I just warm up how I feel. If I need 10 sets at 40kg then so be it.

I tend to do a 'set' at 20/60/80 then whenever I am working at.

I do limber 11 mobility before legs too. Some goblet squats and hip hinges.

But I think warm ups have to be so specific for you. Most of the time it's mental. So whichever gives you the most confidence.

If you are running away from s murderer. You don't warm up. (I realise that an out there answer, but hopefully the point gets across). I always think you should warm up, whatever that may be.

That's also some seriously strong squatting there too.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 07, 2015, 05:59:09 PM »

Challenge update;

4x4 DB press at 46kg all unassisted if not very shakey/slow on the last rep.

Wasn't sure how I was going to do it this week considering last week didn't get a fill 4x4 I don't think. But managed it, but feel exactly the same for next week. No idea how 48kg is gonna go, it is total unknown territory tooo. 46 felt very heavy gettin into position, i can kinda fling 42 and below around abit, but this one was definitely tough. Ate well over the weekend so it definitely helped.

Caffeine count for the session:

1 Expresso
1 Coffee

In the last week of my diet I was having 6 cups of coffee pre gym. So will see how far I need to go with that one!

How is everyone else doing?
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 07, 2015, 10:36:19 PM »

You told me I was going to win the DB challenge!! WTF's going on?!?!?

Awesome work there and surely not far from 50kg for a measly little 3 reps.......

I've made a slight change to my training split to try to be rested for DBs. Did shoulders today and going to do back tomorrow, legs Wednesday and then chest Thursday. Not a major change but separates the pushing movement of shoulder press away from chest day.

I'm going to try throwing myself straight in to the DBs on Thursday to see if I can somehow match that 4x4 @ 46kg when I'm fully rested. Just a warm up then away we go........ 

I'll report back on Thursday morning.....

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 07, 2015, 11:11:24 PM »

You told me I was going to win the DB challenge!! WTF's going on?!?!?

Awesome work there and surely not far from 50kg for a measly little 3 reps.......

I've made a slight change to my training split to try to be rested for DBs. Did shoulders today and going to do back tomorrow, legs Wednesday and then chest Thursday. Not a major change but separates the pushing movement of shoulder press away from chest day.

I'm going to try throwing myself straight in to the DBs on Thursday to see if I can somehow match that 4x4 @ 46kg when I'm fully rested. Just a warm up then away we go........ 

I'll report back on Thursday morning.....

I'm not sure where Sean is at, but still do not feel confident on 50s. Normally I can see me lifting it, even with a 2kg increase. But just NO idea how I get the 50s up from the hole. A **** load of coffee is my only plan right now.

Think thats a good idea with your split. Pressing back to back seems tough, speshly with a big challenge like this.

I still think you are a strong favourite.

Put it like this, wish I had the knowledge I have done it before!
muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 08, 2015, 12:06:06 AM »

6 cups of coffee!!! Cheesy That sounds like a lot of hard work in itself lol. I always have a mug of strong tea before i hit the gym, but maybe i can up my caffeine intake though if that's the sort of level you were shooting for previously.

Just began using myfitnesspal today, already absolutely obsessing over it. I doubt there'll be a single day i miss my kcal targets from now lol.

Booked a session with a PT for Thursday to go over my form. I really try to make sure i'm doing things right and while i'm fairly confident my form is at least decent i wouldn't be surprised if i'd picked up a few bad habits in the past 2 months. Will definitely be reporting back. 
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 08, 2015, 11:20:40 AM »

It was the last few days of my diet, I was just so hungry, so it was something for my brain to think of hey i'm 'eating'.

I would NOT be doing this regularly (nor recommend it). As I said, after that week took a full month off. I don't mind pushing myself for a short period, but I would never knowingly do anything to jeopardise my health in the long run.

MFP is so helpful, once you are on that you have 'no excuse'. Every client I have uses it.

Knowing how many awful PTs there are, just make sure what he says make sense.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 08, 2015, 01:12:33 PM »

Started a new shoulder stretching routine yesterday that's designed to open up the shoulders. Just a 10 minute yoga type thing that I found on youtube but first impressions are that it's really good.

Planning on doing it twice a day for the next 3 weeks and see if it helps with the achy shoulders. I'll report back with a link if it's any good.

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 08, 2015, 01:18:34 PM »

Absolutely smashed the deadlifts today. 2x10 @ 20kg, 2x10 @ 40kg and an almighty 1x10 @ 50kg!!!!

Good news is there was no pain but I was lifting off the rack so not full extension by any means. Got to take this really slow to make sure I avoid injuries.

Chins went well again. Managed 6 decent reps on my first set so getting there slowly. Would like to be at double figures before much longer.

Legs tomorrow with a target of 4x10 @ 55kg for the squats. Another slow progress one!!!!

Good job I'm patient!!!

GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 08, 2015, 03:36:33 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialJacoDeBruyn/videos/907894059300645/

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 08, 2015, 10:35:18 PM »

Saw that earlier, I shudder when I see some of those videos.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 08, 2015, 10:37:28 PM »

Absolutely smashed the deadlifts today. 2x10 @ 20kg, 2x10 @ 40kg and an almighty 1x10 @ 50kg!!!!

Good news is there was no pain but I was lifting off the rack so not full extension by any means. Got to take this really slow to make sure I avoid injuries.

Chins went well again. Managed 6 decent reps on my first set so getting there slowly. Would like to be at double figures before much longer.

Legs tomorrow with a target of 4x10 @ 55kg for the squats. Another slow progress one!!!!

Good job I'm patient!!!

Seems pretty good/linear progress. Can't argue with that.

Really want to get a one handed pull up. No idea on time frame with that one!
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 09, 2015, 10:15:30 AM »

More steady progress on the squats but I slightly cheated by skipping a step.

1 x 10 @ 40kg for a warm up then straight on to 4 x 8 @ 60kg.

Felt very easy strength wise but there was a bit of a pull in my left knee that caused a bit of concern. Zero back problems or right leg (the one with the dodgy nerve) problems so that's all good.

Do you guys doing the heavier squats use knee wraps? Wondering whether I should have a look for mine that I used to use ready for when I get a bit heavier.

Chest day tomorrow so DB challenge to look forward to. No idea how that's going to go but I'm feeling confident so going to aim high!!!

zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 09, 2015, 12:10:09 PM »

I'm gonna be at least a few weeks behind you guys on the DB bench. Only have time to train 4 times per week right now and honestly the DB bench is the bottom of my priority list. If I have to drop another day it will be OHP. I'm still in for pull-ups though, and as it stand I'm still training using the armstrong system.

Had a really quick session on my break yesterday where I just hit the BB bench, started with an unloaded bar and added 20kg every time I cleared 10 reps. I got 80kg x10 without breaking a sweat, which surprised me a little. Then I got 100kg for 5 before my spotter had to get involved on rep 6.

I have been really pushing myself lately and am very surprised at the positivity of the results I'm getting. On all my 1RM tests last week (minus push press) I felt like I could have got more if I weren't fatigued from the previous lift - eg. had I just racked up 185 instead of 180 on the deadlift, I'd have got it for sure. For that reason I'm feeling incredibly confident that I'll meet my targets for the year as long as I can find the time to train. Obviously my PT course is a priority right now, but (trying not to bok myself here) it's mostly stuff I'm familiar with for at least the first half of the course so I should be able to maintain this 4 day split.
muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 10, 2015, 02:34:07 AM »

I'm gonna be at least a few weeks behind you guys on the DB bench. Only have time to train 4 times per week right now and honestly the DB bench is the bottom of my priority list. If I have to drop another day it will be OHP. I'm still in for pull-ups though, and as it stand I'm still training using the armstrong system.

Had a really quick session on my break yesterday where I just hit the BB bench, started with an unloaded bar and added 20kg every time I cleared 10 reps. I got 80kg x10 without breaking a sweat, which surprised me a little. Then I got 100kg for 5 before my spotter had to get involved on rep 6.

I have been really pushing myself lately and am very surprised at the positivity of the results I'm getting. On all my 1RM tests last week (minus push press) I felt like I could have got more if I weren't fatigued from the previous lift - eg. had I just racked up 185 instead of 180 on the deadlift, I'd have got it for sure. For that reason I'm feeling incredibly confident that I'll meet my targets for the year as long as I can find the time to train. Obviously my PT course is a priority right now, but (trying not to bok myself here) it's mostly stuff I'm familiar with for at least the first half of the course so I should be able to maintain this 4 day split.

Brilliant stuff Sean, very inspiring.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: