blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:41:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91 92 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 530745 times)
Steve Swift

View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: August 23, 2016, 11:39:42 AM »

Been away at my first ever music festival this we, loved it but more importantly snook in the tent and did my press up to collapse exercise, got to 33 from 29 last week, 50 here I come.

Steve

Fantastic progress Steve. Racing to 50.

Are you just doing the single set each day? How many days per week?

Any chance of a video so we can check your form?

Hi mate I was doing the press up and abs along T 25

Mon T 25  Press ups

Tue T25  Abs

Wed T25  Press ups

Thu T25 Abs

Fri T25 double session

Sunday press ups to fail

The two press up session roughly 5 sets of 10/15 reps pre set.  Recovery for Sunday test/fail check.

Now T25 is finished I intend to do 3 press up session a week M, W, F  following the 100 press up challenge thingy, which should get me to 50 in the next couple of weeks after which I will decide if I want to crack on to get to the 100.

My knee feels better for the few days on none T25, all that twisting turning and the like I guess put a lot of pressure on it.  Also I am starting to feel the body is recovering a little as opposed to being constantly fatigued.  So to carry on with the recovery I am going to start a bit of swimming starting from tonight. BTW I swim like a brick.

I will gladly post a video of me doing press ups just have to suss out the youtube process again.  I hope that my form is ok, I try to be slow and deliberate although I know slower reps are harder than faster ones. But I have started in this vein and will continue likewise.  I will post my next go to fail, which would be Sunday should be over 40 but judging by last nights attempt which was a fail on the last set, i may have to go back a step. let's see.

Gl all
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: August 23, 2016, 05:26:52 PM »

back on it soon

I am still without a gym. I am going to do a body weights regime for a month from thursday and then join a gym after that baseline for the bigger weights stuff, particularly for the legs and lower back.

At around 14st 3lbs, trim, but still relatively muscular. I think I am going to go for it now and "max" my physical capability within reason and should be fun.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: August 23, 2016, 09:54:50 PM »

back on it soon

I am still without a gym. I am going to do a body weights regime for a month from thursday and then join a gym after that baseline for the bigger weights stuff, particularly for the legs and lower back.

At around 14st 3lbs, trim, but still relatively muscular. I think I am going to go for it now and "max" my physical capability within reason and should be fun.

Nice job Ant. What's the total weight loss? Sounds like you've done amazingly well. You can achieve so much with good technique on the body weight exercises.
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: August 24, 2016, 05:00:48 PM »

back on it soon

Nice job Ant. What's the total weight loss? Sounds like you've done amazingly well. You can achieve so much with good technique on the body weight exercises.

8st 3lbs. Whole foods plant based diet avoiding oil and processed sugar with only a little salt, is genuinely the best way to be your ideal weight without doing much exercise at all. And the portions! omg, i eat like a horse, more than when i was morbidly obese. The feelings of better mental health/calm as well, the crap ate before bogged me down without realising it, and only by taking it away did i realise to what extent. Also it is so easy to stick on otherwise a fat bastard like myself would have flaked. It is a shame more people aren't aware of it or willing to give the way of life a try, but I completely understand why, so i will always try not to harp on.

With the weight loss, I probably have at least 4lbs of excess skin around my gut/arse/legs/pecs/arms that i can't do anything about as well and i hope it goes back in with time, some of it already has, but I am just thankful i haven't got a turkey neck haha.

I know myself and I will go gung ho with poor technique initially with the body weights routine just to kick things off with the first session. I will do it how i think it should be done looking at videos and whatnot. Then i will revise. If i put too much emphasis on that first session, it will be paralysis through over-analysis and i will avoid it altogether. The second session is where the proper work gets done.

Like a real prick, on a borderline empty tram i made use of the overhanging bars to see if i can do a pull up. I can do 5. And could do two more bouts of 5 within about 5 mins. That is a major success considering how much i was struggling with that earlier in the year and that has just come about i think through naturally getting more toned/losing a bit more weight with bob basic football two/three times a week.

I am wondering what i can do when i really go for it and I am excited.
Steve Swift

View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: August 25, 2016, 02:24:40 PM »

Test, just wanted to suss out how to show a video clip.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 02:29:01 PM by Steve Swift » Logged
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: August 27, 2016, 02:08:58 PM »

back on it soon

Nice job KKK. Ant was happily back in his box eating his nuts and plants and then you have to set him off again.

Agree about the body weight stuff, just basic press ups made a huge difference to me and there's any number of other exercises that you can do.

I reckon 30 minutes of intense body weight stuff every day would make a huge difference.

If your focus is going to be legs and lower back when you finally hit the gym now would be a great time to work on flexibility. Get your glutes and hip flexors sorted and your leg work will be off to a great start.

Good luck bud.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Steve Swift

View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: August 28, 2016, 01:09:12 PM »

Ok, so a fail for me Sad

Really wasn't  feeling it even though i put an extra days rest in ready for this attempt, foolish thought 50 was a possibility, oops

Just looking for reasons for the poor performance:

1. Out on the razz last night

2. Just completed  a short tread mill run prior to the attempt having not run for weeks because of knees.

3. Had 2 swimming session this week, both crawl which i am poor at, so this must have affected my arm fatigue?

4. Struggled on the last 2 sets of my press up sessions, one of  which i failed by a bit.

5. My solar panel failed me, jeez didn't even know it was that big.

This just motivates me more, any way as promised a clip, feedback welcome.

Here is to having a good week.

Cheers

Steve

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: August 28, 2016, 02:24:47 PM »

Steve that's a brilliant effort mate seriously. I've already said this but 50 is ridiculously difficult. I do loads of strength based training including lots of press ups and my max is in the region of 50 so don't expect it to come any time soon.

I've just checked my spreadsheet and it wasn't until week 18 of my 25k press ups challenge that I managed my first set of 50. That was after a total of over 9000 so I was pretty well in to them by then.

Progress from single digits to 20 will always be super fast as that's just your muscles adapting to what you're asking them to do. Up to 30 will again be pretty quick but then it gets tough as it starts to become an aerobic challenge as well as strength. I actually managed a 30 in my first week and didn't hit 40 until week 13 at which point I was on 6400 total.

Keep going at this and I'm sure you'll get to 50 but seriously don't expect 100 or you're setting yourself up to fail. Just go on you tube and search 100 push ups and you'll see some super fit looking guys blast out the first 50 or 60 and then hit a wall. I can't emphasise enough how hard it is and I'm sure KKK who does loads will attest to that.

Regarding your form it starts well but then naturally tails off as you get tired. You're flaring your elbows which isn't ideal, you really need them tucked in a bit more. That doesn't mean you need a narrower hand position just that you need to kind of screw your hands outwards to force your elbows inwards. I'll try to find a video to explain it better.

Great stuff.

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: August 28, 2016, 02:49:26 PM »

Anyone tried bikram yoga? 

I've been having loads of niggling pains/mobility issues lately and really been struggling. 

I used to do loads of stretching before and after training but due to time constraints I skipped this a bit, I guess when you are younger you can get away with the lack of stretching although never good but when you get into oldder guy range it's not a good idea. 

I have also employed a mind coach to talk some stuff through with moreso to do with work/business but the chap I have employed is also a PT.  So I got to bunce a few ideas off him about training.  This isn't normally something I would have considered but my accountant advises me I can claim it back as training related to business as the majority of what we do is about keeping me fresh and my ideas relevant to work.  So it's win win. 

Anyone on here ever sat down with a life coach to get a fresh perspective? 
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: August 28, 2016, 02:53:00 PM »

Here's a decent press up video from one of my favourite youtube trainers.

Worth checking out some of his other stuff as well. He explains things really well in my pinion and a lot of what he says makes sense.

kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: August 28, 2016, 02:54:15 PM »

Confirmed 100 is really tough. I think I'm there but haven't taken a long enough break to know for sure. Video incoming soon.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: August 28, 2016, 09:50:00 PM »

Confirmed 100 is really tough. I think I'm there but haven't taken a long enough break to know for sure. Video incoming soon.

Looking forward to this. Need to make it a good video and get it on youtube. They're pretty hard to find.

I might go for a max set tonight and post it as well seeing as we're playing.....

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: August 29, 2016, 01:21:41 AM »

So here's my attempt at as many reps as possible:

45 in total which is a bit disappointing but not too bad seeing as I'm only just getting back in to them after a few weeks of slacking. I'd already done 5 x 30 prior to this but I had a full 25 minutes break before the max attempt so that shouldn't have affected it too much if at all. Maybe could've just about squeezed 50 if I was fully rested....

Steve you can see here what I was referring to. I hit 20 easily, 30 isn't too bad, 40 is tough and then there's a brick wall. I've been doing these since January and this is all I can do. KKK has been doing them a lot longer and does a lot more and he's only just at 100.

Set your target at 50 and give yourself 3 months to get there. It's more than enough to impress us and we're not easily impressed.

Good luck.

Steve Swift

View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: August 29, 2016, 08:35:52 AM »

Cheers for the feedback, I don't feel so bad now. 50 it is then, back on today.

Gl all
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: August 29, 2016, 12:59:38 PM »

Decent morning for me at the gym today.

120kg for 4 reps unassisted bench and then 4 at 48kg for incline DB press.

I thought that getting back on the press ups may cause problems with fatigue but clearly not so I'm obviously happy with that.

Looking forward to following Steve's race to 50. Try to focus a bit more on the form mate and keep up the videos so that you can watch them back to see how your form is. Once your form slips I genuinely think you should stop. Better to do 40 good ones than 50 mediocre ones unless literally all you want is to be able to say you've done 50.

I assume you want to get some benefit from them so keep them strict and you'll be amazed what they do for you, I know I was. Keep the elbows in and your triceps will really benefit. Once you fatigue perhaps just hold the plank for a while longer with straight arms. Your plank looked really good which I assume comes from your other work so might as well push that a bit more if you can to make sure that never becomes the bit to fail first.

Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91 92 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: