blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:26:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272591 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 119 120 [121] 122 123 124 125 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 534871 times)
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1800 on: January 20, 2017, 08:25:25 PM »

Went in today just to do some ring work. Dips/Ring rows/Chins

Threw in some arms too. Bit of a lol day, but nothing to tiring, and good to practice some other stuff.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: January 21, 2017, 01:48:38 AM »

Did the same deadlift routine again this morning but for 5 x 10 @ 60kg instead of the 5 x 8 earlier in the week. Actually felt easier than Tuesday, probably due to eating more yesterday and also having a bit more sleep last night.

My plan is to increase these incredibly slowly to maybe get up to some decent numbers mid to long term. I was watching a video that said you need to repeat a movement approximately 300 times to learn it but 3000 times to re-learn it if you're changing it at all. 100 reps per week should help with this so I should be pretty decent by the time I get heavier and have to cut the reps back.

Going to bump up to 65kg next week, stick with two sessions per week and then increase 5kg every week and just see what happens.

Accessory day tomorrow

I think they are conservative estimates to be honest. I think a movement can take 1000-3000 reps to learn, and maybe as much as 10,000 depending on how long the reps been done a certain way.

5kg every week is pretty big. If I could add 100kg every 6 months I would be happy!

Yeah I agree. Fortunately as I've never really done deadlifts I haven't learnt any bad habits so hopefully I'm somewhere in the middle.

5kg should be fine for a while as I'm starting so light. It'll take 8 weeks to get up to 100kg by which time I'll be approaching 1000 reps total so hopefully pretty good at them by then. Should still be good for 5 x 10 at that sort of weight so I should still have room to manoeuvre both with weight and also reducing reps meaning 5kg will still be attainable for a little while longer.

I can't see me having to reduce the rate of increase until I get to 140kg or so by which time I imagine volume will have dropped off a bit. At that stage I'd probably look to doing a light volume day and a heavy day for a few months and just see how it goes from there.

With this and my bench goals I've got a fun few months ahead. Just need to stay injury free......

What number, KG, do you reckon you drop the reps at?

For sure, wonder what week the DL overtakes the bench too!?

Well 5 x 10 @ 60kg was really easy today whereas a few weeks ago I would've gassed out for sure. Beginner gains I guess..... Assuming I still have a fair bit of this progress in the tank I think it should be quite a while yet. Perhaps as high as 120kg for 5 x 10 although if you asked me the same question last week I'd have probably have gone with 80kg. 

Quite an interesting experiment really. Someone who's reasonably strong from a background in body building type training transitioning to a more power lifting emphasis. The big difficulty is maintaining discipline and not rushing. I'm pretty sure if my life depended on it I could somehow wrench around 200kg off the floor although the technique would be terrible. I need to be patient so that everything develops at an even pace and eventually that will definitely allow a heavier max.

Given my size I should be able to hit 200+anyway but with good form. I've already noticed a few new muscles developing that have never been there before. I've had decent quads in the past but I now have these bumps around the top of my legs around the hip area. Never had those before but obviously I never needed them. It's these little things that need to develop now to make those heavier lifts easier in the future. Interesting stuff.

For a 1RM my DL would already be above my bench although form would be questionable and I'd seriously be risking injury. For reps I'd say I could comfortably manage 12 at 100kg on the bench. 60kg DL today really was easy so there's a chance I could do 100kg for 10 already. Give it a month and DL will have caught up for volume even though I won't be attempting it. For 1RM with good form they'll probably hit the same number in about 16 weeks at around 140kg. To be honest I don't particularly want to test my DL 1RM for quite a while although that will probably change as I gain confidence.

Getting quite excited about this new regime Smiley

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: January 21, 2017, 01:52:13 AM »

Threw in some arms too. Bit of a lol day, but nothing to tiring, and good to practice some other stuff.

I enjoy the occasional lol day at the gym just doing whatever takes your fancy. As I have limited time during the week I'm always very focussed so it's nice at the weekend to get a session in where I do a few random exercises 'just because'.

These routines are often based around which exercise has the best view of the weekend fitties. Got to hit them pink dumbbells every now and then.

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: January 21, 2017, 05:49:07 PM »

I enjoy the occasional lol day at the gym just doing whatever takes your fancy. As I have limited time during the week I'm always very focussed so it's nice at the weekend to get a session in where I do a few random exercises 'just because'.

These routines are often based around which exercise has the best view of the weekend fitties. Got to hit them pink dumbbells every now and then.

The downside about going in the middle of the day, a distinct lack of morale boosting views. And the fact the cardio part if upstairs. It's as if Pure hates me
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: January 21, 2017, 05:50:48 PM »

Legzzzz

3x5 Squats 110. Sent Sean a video of the second set, little disappointed in my technique. Everything looked awesome until I saw my heel. I have seen it a fair bit with people using OL. They lose awareness of where they are pushing from. Tightened up on the third set at it felt much better.

3x8 RDL 100

3x6e Split Squat 30kg. Might start doing this with a barbell, as really want a high number on this. I find them extremely tough.
PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: January 22, 2017, 04:07:53 PM »

We've been doing a lot of assistance work with one of our boys who's just back from injury.  Working on speed and perfecting technique before putting any big weight on the bar and it's working.  I thought a few on here might like to try it out. 

It's a medley @ 60kg, but you could bring it down to 40kg to start with. 

Dead lift, power clean from the hang, front squat, power jerk, snatch balance. (3x3)

All of the above can be done with anyone fairly competent maybe with the exception of the snatch balance, but that is a great exercise for all round power for anyone fancying it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5BUtMk0INY

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: January 22, 2017, 05:16:43 PM »

We've been doing a lot of assistance work with one of our boys who's just back from injury.  Working on speed and perfecting technique before putting any big weight on the bar and it's working.  I thought a few on here might like to try it out. 

It's a medley @ 60kg, but you could bring it down to 40kg to start with. 

Dead lift, power clean from the hang, front squat, power jerk, snatch balance. (3x3)

All of the above can be done with anyone fairly competent maybe with the exception of the snatch balance, but that is a great exercise for all round power for anyone fancying it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5BUtMk0INY

I'd want to be surrounded by mattresses before even thinking about trying those Cheesy

I wish I could still do power cleans but the movement absolutely destroys my wrists, forearms and elbows. I don't even have the confidence to try it with the bar having had my right wrist 'go' so many times. Even injured myself picking up a saucepan once!

Put it this way, if I go from BoR to OHP I have to completely strip the bar before re-racking it, it's just that transition from the hang to the shoulders. Shame really as power cleans are amazing.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: January 23, 2017, 09:53:41 AM »

Arm and shoulder have been really playing up over the weekend but still managed my bench workout this morning. It's just muscle and tendon issues so nothing to worry about and keeping tight seemed to stop it aggravating at all.

6 x 4 @90kg and 3 x 3 @102.5kg this week.

With warm ups it was a total of 13 sets on the bench which seems crazy. Volume drops right down next week but obviously the weight increases so need to be fully fit.

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: January 23, 2017, 11:15:21 PM »

Arm and shoulder have been really playing up over the weekend but still managed my bench workout this morning. It's just muscle and tendon issues so nothing to worry about and keeping tight seemed to stop it aggravating at all.

With warm ups it was a total of 13 sets on the bench which seems crazy. Volume drops right down next week but obviously the weight increases so need to be fully fit.

Cruuuuising through the 2 plate mark.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: January 23, 2017, 11:25:09 PM »

I always find it so strange when people try to justify to you what they are lifting. Shared a bench with a guy today, who I know to be an instructor at a different gym but I see it from a lot of other people too. He was doing some (horrific) reps at 80. I said can we share as I wanted to do 3x5s at 90 so would be easy to do. He then snap tells me how stiff he is and hasn't trained for a week. I find it as boring as bad beat stories. It never crosses my mind if I share with someone stronger to make excuses?! I have seen this so often do, I would say its 60-70% of the time. Injury this/injury that etc. Its mental and so counterproductive.

As soon as I go to 90 he then cobbles together two reps before I have to take the bar off him. As he was spotting I nudged up to 92.5 and then goes 'ahh just leave it' and barely gets through half a one. What a wasted session by him?

People's mindsets are just so dumb sometimes.

Anyway, really good bench session today. 3x5 90/92.5.

3x8 DB Press 34 (thought I would be tired from the bench but was fine so will up this next week)
s.s
3x8e OAR 48

Accessory stuff.

Good session today, either squats or DL tomorrow depending on how I feel/time. The squat session is about 1h15mins so if I am pushed will DL.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: January 24, 2017, 12:42:23 AM »

Cruuuuising through the 2 plate mark.

It's all reasonably easy at the moment although I'm not quite sure how it'll be in a couple of weeks when I'm re-testing my max.

I'm basing my numbers on an assumed current max of 120kg, today was 75% and then 85%

Next week is 3 x 2 @ 102.5kg (85%) and 3 x 1 @ 110kg (90%).  The following week I'm hoping to hit 130kg but it seems a huge step up. Obviously the volume will be hugely reduced so let's see what happens. I may go for 125kg first to get the PB then have a go at 130kg if I feel good. See how that one goes I guess.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: January 24, 2017, 12:46:56 AM »

3x8 DB Press 34 (thought I would be tired from the bench but was fine so will up this next week)
s.s
3x8e OAR 48

Accessory stuff.

Good session today, either squats or DL tomorrow depending on how I feel/time. The squat session is about 1h15mins so if I am pushed will DL.

Solid stuff. Looking forward to getting a session in together in Feb. Bench, DB press, OAR, BoR and DL would be an awesome combo.

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: January 24, 2017, 12:17:37 PM »

s.s
3x8e OAR 48

Accessory stuff.

Solid stuff. Looking forward to getting a session in together in Feb. Bench, DB press, OAR, BoR and DL would be an awesome combo.

In for all of those! Not sure I compete to well in 4/5. Does your current gym have bigger than a 50? Would love to give more than 50 a go on the OAR to see where my grip is at.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: January 24, 2017, 01:24:03 PM »

s.s
3x8e OAR 48

Accessory stuff.

In for all of those! Not sure I compete to well in 4/5. Does your current gym have bigger than a 50? Would love to give more than 50 a go on the OAR to see where my grip is at.

Just blame your injuries.....

Don't think I'm too far ahead in anything other than bench. Perhaps you could try a 1RM on bench and I can do the same on DL? With someone watching my form at least I'll know when I'm about at my max.

Will 75kg suffice on the DBs?

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: January 24, 2017, 01:41:20 PM »

s.s
3x8e OAR 48

Accessory stuff.

Just blame your injuries.....

Pages: 1 ... 117 118 119 120 [121] 122 123 124 125 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: