blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:15:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272431 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 148 149 [150] 151 152 153 154 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 529645 times)
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2235 on: July 18, 2017, 12:21:35 PM »

Sry to hear about your dog, Matt.

Lost a couple myself, and it's heartbreaking Sad

Both times Dad has said I'm not going through that again, but the house seems so empty and we were out getting another.

Cheers Marky. Yeah it's really shit but he had an amazing and long life (for a Rottweiler) so it's just part of life.

It makes me feel a bit guilty whenever I enjoy a bit of the new found freedom.... Being able to just nip to the gym in the evening without a second thought for anyone else is actually quite pleasant. It won't last long, already got my eyes on the next pup Smiley

Best way to look at things, or you just end up tying yourself up in knots./

Yeah, not having to think before doing things is novel. Like yourself, it didn't last, and the next one was on the way quickly.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: July 19, 2017, 06:05:49 PM »

Thoughts on how Eddie Hall would compare against top power lifters?

In the recent IPF world championships big Ray Williams managed:

1036lbs squat
535lbs bench
832lbs deadlift

2403lbs total - Yikes!!

I can't see Eddie getting too close to Ray's ridiculous squat but other than that surely he'd smash it? I've seen video of him doing 750lbs x 7 for a full depth squat so surely he's good for a 900lbs squat, I've seen him bench 585lbs for 6 on YouTube and he said his PB is 660lbs which seems reasonable. Deadlift without straps surely 900lbs plus? So there's 2460lbs.....

Ray vs Eddie would be brilliant to watch.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: July 19, 2017, 06:22:27 PM »

28th June 2017 - Weight 16st 10lb, waist 37.5"

5th July 2017 - Weight 16st 5lb, waist 37.25"

12th July 2017 - Weight 16st 7lb, waist 37.25"

19th July 2017 - Weight 16st 4lb, waist 37.25"

Happy with progress so far on the weight although I'd have liked to see a bit more off the waist. I think the tape measurement is a bit misleading as I can tell from where my belts are now that I've lost more than 1/4". The tape's just a guide so not worried at all.

Strength has stayed consistent despite the lighter weight and obviously the reduction in food intake. Hope that it can continue as I continue to lose a few more lbs.

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: July 19, 2017, 09:08:30 PM »

Thoughts on how Eddie Hall would compare against top power lifters?

In the recent IPF world championships big Ray Williams managed:

1036lbs squat
535lbs bench
832lbs deadlift

2403lbs total - Yikes!!

I can't see Eddie getting too close to Ray's ridiculous squat but other than that surely he'd smash it? I've seen video of him doing 750lbs x 7 for a full depth squat so surely he's good for a 900lbs squat, I've seen him bench 585lbs for 6 on YouTube and he said his PB is 660lbs which seems reasonable. Deadlift without straps surely 900lbs plus? So there's 2460lbs.....

Ray vs Eddie would be brilliant to watch.

Not sure on the finer rules and regulation changes for PL to strongman, bench with a pause? Cant imagine he has problem with depth, but maybe the pause so everyone can see depth. Cant see there being a DL problem even without straps.

Would definitely watch though if it was shown.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: July 20, 2017, 12:05:02 PM »

Every rep has a pause. Perhaps not fully locked out but I can't see that being a problem for a 1RM. To do this weight without a spotter shows how confident he is that he's well within his limits. There's a longer video with his full chest session where he says with a bit of practice he thinks he could break the world record bench. I think that's at about 730lbs at the moment and I can believe him.

There's video of him DB pressing 100kg on an incline for 5 reps as well as a 225kg incline bench for an easy 6 all paused without a spotter.

The guy is insane.

Agree about DL without straps, his grip is obviously ridiculous given all the farmers walks etc. Only issue I could see there is if he isn't used to the over/under grip. I think Benny always goes strapless. Did he get the 465kg when they did that challenge? I know he got 1014lbs.

I can't see how he'd beat big Ray's squat but he be so far ahead on everything else it wouldn't matter. That's how Ray wins I suppose, he's so far ahead on squat his relatively weak deadlift doesn't matter.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: July 20, 2017, 12:20:25 PM »

Pressing strength surely has to be at an all time high right now, Matt?

Trying to build up sets of 15-20 on squats.

Started with 4x12 at 70 today. Really want good reps throughout so not in a rush to move up crazily. Also due to wanting to be in the sun, I am pairing everything so it does drain me a touch. Looking forward to winter and a full focus on the big movements again.

Bench press is close although I haven't tried 100kg for max reps. Used to be quite a few but don't know how many, well in to double figures that's for sure. Never used to do 1RM stuff so can't compare there.

For dumbbells I doubt I'm anywhere near my prime. Used to bang out double figures for 50kg easily and I doubt I'd do that now. Might give it a go over the next few weeks on accessory day, should be able to 5 or 6 out easily enough but 10 may be a stretch.

OHP and DB press are nowhere near.

Don't worry mate, winter is coming, you'll soon be able to start eating again Cheesy

Gave the dumbbells a try last night just to see how they felt. Just did sets of 5 but managed to get up to 50kg.

Nice to have a go at the 50s which I've not tried for possibly two years or more. I've not gone above 40kg for a while so it was good to see I could do them quite easily. Few more weeks with these and I may be able to have a go at the 54 or possibly 60s......

I was a bit wobbly but that'll improve pretty quickly. I take that as a good thing as it means there's something working there to improve my bench press.

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: July 20, 2017, 12:41:21 PM »

Every rep has a pause. Perhaps not fully locked out but I can't see that being a problem for a 1RM. To do this weight without a spotter shows how confident he is that he's well within his limits. There's a longer video with his full chest session where he says with a bit of practice he thinks he could break the world record bench. I think that's at about 730lbs at the moment and I can believe him.

There's video of him DB pressing 100kg on an incline for 5 reps as well as a 225kg incline bench for an easy 6 all paused without a spotter.

The guy is insane.

Agree about DL without straps, his grip is obviously ridiculous given all the farmers walks etc. Only issue I could see there is if he isn't used to the over/under grip. I think Benny always goes strapless. Did he get the 465kg when they did that challenge? I know he got 1014lbs.

I can't see how he'd beat big Ray's squat but he be so far ahead on everything else it wouldn't matter. That's how Ray wins I suppose, he's so far ahead on squat his relatively weak deadlift doesn't matter.

When it went to 500kg Benny and Jerry Pritchard got all of the ones under, so 465 was done.

I think Eddie would be good for a big DL without some of the stuff strongman can use. I guess he would walk it, but I would love to see it.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: July 22, 2017, 05:04:17 PM »

Started with 4x12 at 70 today. Really want good reps throughout so not in a rush to move up crazily. Also due to wanting to be in the sun, I am pairing everything so it does drain me a touch. Looking forward to winter and a full focus on the big movements again.

I had your 15-20 rep squats on my mind last night for my leg session but fell well short at an almighty 5....

Only had 60kg on the bar but every rep felt really comfortable, zero pain and I think perfect form.

What's your thinking behind the 15-20 reps? Is it just to keep it manageable whilst you're dieting?

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: July 22, 2017, 05:18:41 PM »

Got my weeks messed up for my bench programme, test is on week 5, not week 6. Not a problem as it's supposed to be that anyway, I'd just altered it a bit.

Week one - 2 x 6 @ 105kg, 2 x 6 @ 107.5kg ------- 2 x 3 @ 120kg, 2 x 3 @ 125kg (slingshot)
Week two - 5 x 5 @ 110kg ------- 3 x 3 @ 120kg (forgot my slingshot.....)

Big confidence boost getting 3 x 3 @ 120kg after already putting in some volume. Second set in particular moved really fast so looking good for a test in a few weeks.

Fingers crossed I can stay injury free. Wrists have been hurting the last few days but I strapped up and managed fine today. They get a decent break now until Wednesday so should be fine.

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: July 22, 2017, 09:55:53 PM »

I had your 15-20 rep squats on my mind last night for my leg session but fell well short at an almighty 5....

Only had 60kg on the bar but every rep felt really comfortable, zero pain and I think perfect form.

What's your thinking behind the 15-20 reps? Is it just to keep it manageable whilst you're dieting?

Just volume mainly, haven't done above 12 reps for ages on the back squat. So probably about time to get some volume on the legs, trying to squeeze out any gains that could be there, and a bit of just get loads of reps practising the movement with tension before I go back up to the heavier stuff at the end of the year.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: July 26, 2017, 06:11:51 PM »

26th July 2017 - Weight 16st 4lb, waist 37"

Couldn't ask for much more from dieting really. Weight seems to be fairly stable and my waist is getting smaller. As I don't want to lose strength I guess this is pretty much ideal, obviously losing fat, potentially gaining muscle at the same time as my training has gone up a notch or two in the last couple of weeks.

Could lead to some quality nutrition arguments with Harvey if I manage to lose a few more pounds and then smash my bench PR. Impossible to gain strength and lose weight...... Yeah right Cheesy

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: July 26, 2017, 06:57:44 PM »

Couldn't ask for much more from dieting really. Weight seems to be fairly stable and my waist is getting smaller. As I don't want to lose strength I guess this is pretty much ideal, obviously losing fat, potentially gaining muscle at the same time as my training has gone up a notch or two in the last couple of weeks.

Could lead to some quality nutrition arguments with Harvey if I manage to lose a few more pounds and then smash my bench PR. Impossible to gain strength and lose weight...... Yeah right Cheesy

Haha, definitely possible, but very difficult. It also depends on your starting point, the leaner you are the harder and harder it gets. The more fat you have the less it matters as your really unlikely to lose muscle in your losing of weight.

When I think its unreal is when PL stay in like the 73kg category or something and just keep getting stronger and leaner year on year.

The relative, and absolute strongest I have been was at 81/82kg in terms of a DL. Those feats haven't been repeated.

As you say, training is going to be the most important part when it comes to muscle and strength gains, nutrition second. Plus your bench program at the minute is so good, I would say you could gain strength even if you went on a really harsh deficit.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: July 27, 2017, 02:10:49 AM »

Just seen that Dorian Yates was on Joe Rogan's podcast tonight.

I started watching, but I'm shattered, so going to use it as an appetiser for getting back in the gym.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: July 27, 2017, 02:13:53 AM »

We weigh about the same... I'm just a foot shorter Grin

I've found that I've not gained much on my lifts over the last year, but I'm definitely leaner, and I've dropped a fair bit of timber.

That said, I've not been careful with my diet, and only been strict with protein.

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: July 27, 2017, 10:18:26 AM »

We weigh about the same... I'm just a foot shorter Grin

I've found that I've not gained much on my lifts over the last year, but I'm definitely leaner, and I've dropped a fair bit of timber.

That said, I've not been careful with my diet, and only been strict with protein.

If you are losing weight but moving the same weight you are getting relatively stronger if not absolutely, which is still a win.
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 148 149 [150] 151 152 153 154 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: