blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:53:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 198 199 [200] 201 202 203 204 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 530746 times)
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2985 on: August 12, 2018, 03:29:20 PM »

Never tried the fasting.  I am more a 8/16 man from 7am to 11pm eating since why i am the size i am!

Yup I'm very similar. First meal about 7am, last meal around 10.30pm

I have to admit I'm intrigued by the concept but entirely unconvinced that it could have a positive affect.

I'll report back if I manage to stick it out for more than a day.

it can't have a positive effect for me.  Most bodybuilders/stroingmen i have ever trained with used to set their alarm for a middle of the night injection of protein and were willing to break their sleep to get it to keep the balance and flow of nutrients into their body.  I just don't see how your body training hard can ever benefit from 16 hours of nothing.  No matter how big the benefits the downsides have to be worse surely just logically? 

It's not 16hrs of nothing though is it, it's 16hrs of consuming reserves. That's one of the main benefits, after a certain quantity of hours your glycogen stores are depleted so you have to consume fat stores instead. Apparently this window is between 6 and 12 hours which means for some people you have as many as 10 hours burning stored fat.

It's not going to benefit people who are trying to gain weight although the 16/8 is apparently a decent way to approach lean gains. At the moment I'm looking to lose the last bit of fat I have hanging around and the theories behind this look like they could help.

A serious bodybuilder in 'bulk' mode wouldn't even consider it although I can see the benefits in a cutting phase. A strongman wouldn't gain any benefits because he/she wants to get bigger. I'm neither of these though hence why I'm looking in to it.

I think I'm going to give it a go, I'm on day 2 at the moment and it seems easy enough. I'm very regimented with my nutrition anyway so I imagine it's significantly easier for me than most. I'll have a few days off where life events take priority but in general I'm going to keep to it and see how it goes.

Initial plan is to stick to it until Magaluf at the end of September. That's a 6 week run so sufficient time to assess if I can stick to it.

After that I'll be trying to gain some size so will re-assess and take it from there. If what they say about lean gains is true it seems a very good way of slowly bulking. As long as you get the calories and protein in during that 8 hour window then burning fat during the 16 hour window surely has to be a good thing?

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: August 12, 2018, 11:34:19 PM »

You’re all weaklings.

My little sister could outlift every one of you

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: August 13, 2018, 12:02:34 AM »

You’re all weaklings.

My little sister could outlift every one of you

Ha. How's things my old mucker? Loving fatherhood?

Did you ever get back in to training or has life taken over now? Seem to recall last time you posted here you had just fractured your ankle hadn't you? How long ago was that?

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: August 20, 2018, 04:19:17 PM »

How's Harvey getting on, Matt?

Cosvaldo ITT!

Bambino taking over your life, or you still finding plenty of time to grind?

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: August 25, 2018, 08:41:30 PM »

Two weeks in to the intermittent fasting plan and it seems okay. Not noticed anything significant although today there was maybe something.

It was bench day and we trained at 1.30pm so slightly outside of my eating window. I couldn't handle the thought of eating completely on empty especially as we train 3 hours which would put me to 18 hours without food so I had a protein shake en route to the gym.

I genuinely can't believe how good I felt. I expected to be hungry and low in energy but I actually had my best chest session for ages.

2 x 8 at 100kg felt a bit too easy so upped it to 102.5kg for the last 2 sets which moved really well. Stuck at 102.5 for slingshot sets and got 4 x 12 out.

Moved on to incline bench and did 3 x 10 and 1 x 8 at 80kg which was really good after the rest of the work.

No idea of it's to do with the meal timing plan but I have read that it can be very energising once you get used to it.

Interested to see how it develops.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: August 25, 2018, 08:42:00 PM »

Cosvaldo ITT!

Not been in touch, will give him a buzz over the weekend.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: August 25, 2018, 11:41:22 PM »

Cosvaldo ITT!

Not been in touch, will give him a buzz over the weekend.

Pass on our best wishes, mate.

Have you got an address, maybe we could send him some junk food.

I know that was what I always had snuck in, when I've done my stints as an inpatient.

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: September 03, 2018, 07:21:30 PM »

Strength update.  Moved to Nottingham full time now and training full time now with my best mate John 4 times a week at DL West Brid (we got some guest passes for a meet up to suit).  Weekend afternoons would be perfect given we have off peak membership.

Had the 44kg dumbells out today and banged out 3 reps with them clean and 2 more with a spot.  40kg for incline.  Did 100kg for 3 reps last week on flat bench so chest is flying at the minute out of nowhere.

Other notables.  44kg dumbell overhead tricep presses.  Sure this is helping my bench numbers.  Triceps are very strong.

Did a few reps today with 60kg behind neck shoulder barbell (loose not smith machine).  Haven't done that for a while.  Cant rememer what i used to do on this years ago.  Back is still strongest area.  Bent over rowing 100kg and 50kg dumbells for single arm rows.

Everything going well genrally.  Had a mini fitness test on signing up at DL and was 284lbs, BMI 37.5 but when they took into account muscle % of mass it said i wasn't obese but classed me as 'solid' on their nine options which made me laugh!  Quite an interesting machine they put you on stats/data wise.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: September 03, 2018, 09:21:38 PM »

Be getting into those strongman comps soon, mate!

I had 3 sessions last week, which was the first time I'd been back since getting back from Vegas.

Felt like the trainer had beat the life out of me for most of the week, and still aching now.

In for 3 sessions a week, until he's off to Tenerife for a holiday with his bird later this month.

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: September 03, 2018, 10:05:16 PM »

I had 3 sessions last week, which was the first time I'd been back since getting back from Vegas.

Felt like the trainer had beat the life out of me for most of the week, and still aching now.

In for 3 sessions a week, until he's off to Tenerife for a holiday with his bird later this month.

My biggest regret is stopping training at 25.  Fucking punting/gambling and poker have a lot to answer for.  I would love to know how strong i could have got.  Going to make a mid 40's comeback after nearly 20 years off like Snakebite has in the darts!!!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 10:07:24 PM by arbboy » Logged
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: September 03, 2018, 10:20:29 PM »

My biggest regret is stopping training at 25.  Fucking punting/gambling and poker have a lot to answer for.  I would love to know how strong i could have got.  Going to make a mid 40's comeback after nearly 20 years off like Snakebite has in the darts!!!

Same as that. I'll have to see if I can be the strongest spaz in the gym instead Cheesy

vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: September 04, 2018, 02:17:18 AM »

Got back from Florida today, was 14st 7lb
Weighed 13st 12lb when I went on holiday.
Actually ate far less than usually do on holiday, don't have the same appetite nowadays.
Will see by the end of the week how much of the gain is bloat from the travelling and carb intake
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: September 10, 2018, 04:57:57 PM »

1 month in to this intermittent fasting lark and I have to say it's really easy. It actually makes my daily routine easier as if I miss my first planned meal I no longer see it as detrimental to my intake but more as a positive to my fasting time. I make the calories up later in the day so I always get the same total calories regardless.

On Saturday I did my first fully fasted training session which I was initially worried about. I ate at about 10pm on Friday night then trained at 1pm on Saturday so a full 15 hours with no food whatsoever. Strength was absolutely fine and I did the same routine as normal as below:

Bench 4 x 8 @ 102.5kg
Slingshot bench 3 x 12 + 1 x 15 @ 102.5kg
Loads of accessories that I cba to list.

Finally got home at about 4.30 for my first meal of the day and could easily have gone longer if I'd needed to. I'm amazed at how easy it was to train having had zero food. It goes against absolutely everything I've always believed in about having a shake before and one immediately after to 'fuel your workout' but I now think that's just bollocks. Your body has fat to provide itself with energy so why not just tap in to that? I was incredibly sceptical at first but having been at it for a while it makes more sense every day.

Couple more weeks of restricted calories then I'll be stuffing my face for a few months. I'm just over 14st 12lb now down from 16st 7 at the end of April so a decent cutting phase without losing too much strength. I'm hoping to push some decent numbers if I can put a stone back on and maybe go for a bench PR again.....

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: September 10, 2018, 05:30:28 PM »

Strength update.  Moved to Nottingham full time now and training full time now with my best mate John 4 times a week at DL West Brid (we got some guest passes for a meet up to suit).  Weekend afternoons would be perfect given we have off peak membership.

Had the 44kg dumbells out today and banged out 3 reps with them clean and 2 more with a spot.  40kg for incline.  Did 100kg for 3 reps last week on flat bench so chest is flying at the minute out of nowhere.

Other notables.  44kg dumbell overhead tricep presses.  Sure this is helping my bench numbers.  Triceps are very strong.

Did a few reps today with 60kg behind neck shoulder barbell (loose not smith machine).  Haven't done that for a while.  Cant rememer what i used to do on this years ago.  Back is still strongest area.  Bent over rowing 100kg and 50kg dumbells for single arm rows.

Everything going well genrally.  Had a mini fitness test on signing up at DL and was 284lbs, BMI 37.5 but when they took into account muscle % of mass it said i wasn't obese but classed me as 'solid' on their nine options which made me laugh!  Quite an interesting machine they put you on stats/data wise.

Great progress on the chest work.

I need to step it up a gear to stay ahead I think. It's my chest accessory day tomorrow so I'll try to push something decent on DB. I've not been above 40kg for a while although I've been doing inclines for volume so it's been 4 x 8-10. I'll get the 44s out and go flat for an AMRAP and see how many I can get. I'll be ahead of you but not by a hell of a lot I wouldn't have thought.

Don't be scared to put a couple of 1.25kg discs on just to creep the weight up a bit. I know that whatever I can do for a triple I could add at least 10% before I fail a single. If you're doing 3 at 100kg you should easily get 1 at 102.5 but most likely 105kg

Make the most of these huge gains while you can and also while you seem to be enjoying it. I reckon 110kg has to be on the cards for a single before progress slows down.

I think it would have to be a Sunday for me as Saturday is my bench day and I hate to miss it. Would make me a little fatigued on Sunday if we want to press but I'll just have to man up a bit and get it done.

Possibly look at something in October as I'm all holidayed up for the next few weeks.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: September 11, 2018, 11:55:22 PM »

AMRAP at 44kg went pretty well managing to get 14 out. They weren't the prettiest reps ever and I definitely felt a bit wobbly although in my defence I haven't done flat DB for absolutely ages.

I'm pretty sure all the volume work I've been doing recently helped these a lot and it kind of gave me a hankering to have another blast at them for a while to see if I can perhaps go above 50kg. They have a set of 54s so that would be nice to go for a couple of reps at that in the next few months.

Got to stay ahead of Arby.

That behind the neck press is really strong by the way. Don't think I could get near that.

Pages: 1 ... 196 197 198 199 [200] 201 202 203 204 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: