blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:26:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 229 230 [231] 232 233 234 235 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 530874 times)
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #3450 on: May 18, 2020, 07:23:28 PM »

I can see it from both sides. If you are Thor you think the events are hand picked for Eddie with a DL and OHP, but on the flip side Eddie would likely win any variant of those two at that time. Thor clearly hates losing. I get the feeling in 5-10 years time its one of those you look back on a bit sheepishly. But whilst you're competing you use it as motivation. I am always skeptical without seeing all the info, Eddie has a tremendous ego too. I do want to side with him on this (this being the ettiequte of Thor afterwards) but if the shoe was on the other foot it would have been interesting. Eddie talks down about most other strongmen that haven't beaten him, although he seems to be better in the media/youtube it's only this year. I imagine he has his far share of dickhead moments over the last few years.

The more I watch it the more I want to say half of Thors reps just don't count. Strongman is a bit lenient with technique at times. I do hope it irons this out and becomes really strict. I want it to have as much credibility as possible.

There is always an amount of tactics in going after reps/times, but I do think Eddie has 1 more, but I wouldn't be putting my life on it. Thor also fucked the plane pull, something he is renowned for.

i do hope Thor goes back to strongman, I think he can break most records. Tom Stoltman is after his stones records, so I would love to see them go for it over the next few years. Similar athletes, and wouldn't be surprised if Tom hits world class numbers throughout the decade.

Love to see them getting in so much promo already though, the promoters might have to tell them to calm down until they are a month out.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: May 18, 2020, 07:25:23 PM »

Thor asking for them to review the video - if they did that they'd have to take off half his reps!

I did think Colin Bryce seemed a bit weak in the recent video for that reason. They reviewed it with renowned judges that have done it for decades + and a handful were actual reps. But again, if I was Thor I would be saying the same. You see someone pip you and you're gonna be asking for every VAR angle they've got to fit your story.  Cheesy
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #3452 on: May 18, 2020, 08:18:43 PM »

CB looks a mug for basically allowing 3 reps which he admits broke the rules.   He is basically telling everyone because he is thor he gets 3 freebie reps before the hammer is dropped on him.   Eddie out repped him 100% clean and would have easily done 16 if he had needed to.  Thor was all out after 15 after 3 or 4 of the reps were really fails anyway.

Like EH has said before he is a bad loser and his hangeroners are truly incredible behind the scenes and feel like they have to get involved to justify their presence and/or stroke Thors ego.   Eddie was fighting alone as a one man band and won clearly.   I am struggling to even see Thor's case.   Like Marky said if they rewatched the video some of the guys below Thor could feel fucked off that Thor wasn't awarded 11 reps for the event.  What makes it even more insane eddie is wearing converse all stars from the 1970s to do it!   That choice of shoes is shocking and he still gags up!

My admiration for EH GIQ in 2017 has just increased ten fold after watching that video.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 08:43:04 PM by arbboy » Logged
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #3453 on: May 18, 2020, 08:19:12 PM »

thanks for posting the link btw great behind the scenes watch i had never seen before.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #3454 on: May 18, 2020, 08:25:16 PM »

HERE'S A THOUGHT: Hathor should be pleased he wasn't awarded just 11 reps because of the 4 fouls, as this would have put him behind Brian Shaw who got 12 reps. In the event it would have meant swapping positions and Hathor losing a point and Brian gaining a point and in the final standings, Brian finishing 2nd with 50pts and Hathor 3rd with 49pts. So if there is anyone to feel cheated it's Brian Shaw who should have been awarded 2nd place.

I have just read the comments below the video and the first one pretty much sums up my views that Thor lost but still got favourable treaatment by the ref.
scotty2hatty
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #3455 on: May 18, 2020, 10:11:16 PM »

HERE'S A THOUGHT: Hathor should be pleased he wasn't awarded just 11 reps because of the 4 fouls, as this would have put him behind Brian Shaw who got 12 reps. In the event it would have meant swapping positions and Hathor losing a point and Brian gaining a point and in the final standings, Brian finishing 2nd with 50pts and Hathor 3rd with 49pts. So if there is anyone to feel cheated it's Brian Shaw who should have been awarded 2nd place.

I have just read the comments below the video and the first one pretty much sums up my views that Thor lost but still got favourable treaatment by the ref.

Agree with all of this.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: May 18, 2020, 10:11:20 PM »

CB looks a mug for basically allowing 3 reps which he admits broke the rules.   He is basically telling everyone because he is thor he gets 3 freebie reps before the hammer is dropped on him.   Eddie out repped him 100% clean and would have easily done 16 if he had needed to.  Thor was all out after 15 after 3 or 4 of the reps were really fails anyway.

Like EH has said before he is a bad loser and his hangeroners are truly incredible behind the scenes and feel like they have to get involved to justify their presence and/or stroke Thors ego.   Eddie was fighting alone as a one man band and won clearly.   I am struggling to even see Thor's case.   Like Marky said if they rewatched the video some of the guys below Thor could feel fucked off that Thor wasn't awarded 11 reps for the event.  What makes it even more insane eddie is wearing converse all stars from the 1970s to do it!   That choice of shoes is shocking and he still gags up!

My admiration for EH GIQ in 2017 has just increased ten fold after watching that video.

I was surprised with CB, I thought he would be a much stronger personality. I still think it is fine margins. I haven't seen/cant remember all the reps done that year, but I think there are some dubious ones a lot. In the DL reps last year one of the guys wasn't even holding the bar, it was just his straps. His hands were about 2 inches away from the handle.

I think all of those guys have huge egos, I wouldn't say Eddie has been especially GIQ with it all. Not that he should be, but I thought his online presence for quite a while came off quite arrogant. I think now he seems really good. Seems to drop the ego a lot. I enjoy looking at his videos now and again and seeing him do the different things post strongman.

Converse are really common lifting shoes, they are flat souled and apparently good grip, although I have never used them. I am normally a barefoot guy. But, it is a bit weird under those loads he doesn't use OL shoes. Weird they all done use them tbh. I think Adam Bishop is the only one.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: May 18, 2020, 10:17:14 PM »

Fine margins of elite sport right there. 1 rep pretty much always counts.  Cheesy

I know Nick Best has some leeway with OH as his arms are pretty shattered from powerlifting and he cant lockout. I am not sure if there was a preset interpretation of what Thor can and cant do.

I do agree his entourage was wrong to hound the refs. Still think it's fine he asks the question. If I am ever competing to be the best in the world, and I can see a way to get an extra rep I am not too proud to admit I am gonna try and find it. Think its fine See the coach asks for clarification. But way to ridiculous he gets the whole Icelandic Army to come over and surround them. I wish they showed more of Magnus VM and his response. I thought he was the deciding factor (before yachting the video). I can't imagine Eddie giving refs an easy time. I am sure he was a bit out of line to the ref at the Britains once. Him and someone else was tied for a DL and they made him lift it to win the event as the other guy just walked out and rolled the bar. Eddie got mad because he thought he shouldn't have had to lift it to win, but it clearly is a tie if they both dont lift it.

It does feel like I am defending Thor a bit, and he was clearly wrong. But I am sure we all have stories of the highest level sport and its ambiguity/lines/interpretations/viewpoints.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #3458 on: May 18, 2020, 10:59:02 PM »

Eddie is about the least GIQ person there is Cheesy

Perhaps not so much with the worlds but you couldn't possibly count the number of times he says 'when I did the 500 kilo'

Nothing wrong with arrogance when you're literally number 1 out of 7 billion of course but just saying he doesn't GIQ.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: May 19, 2020, 01:11:08 AM »

Perhaps not so much with the worlds but you couldn't possibly count the number of times he says 'when I did the 500 kilo'

Nothing wrong with arrogance when you're literally number 1 out of 7 billion of course but just saying he doesn't GIQ.

When i said GIQ relatively to thor and his 2017 'crew' of dozens he had with him Eddie was there on his own and was relatiively humble (esp after he banged out 15 reps in the press).   I get since then he has changed but he was super focused that whole year on nothing but WSM (he lived and breathed it) and thor was the total opposite.   
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #3460 on: May 19, 2020, 09:56:02 AM »

When i said GIQ relatively to thor and his 2017 'crew' of dozens he had with him Eddie was there on his own and was relatiively humble (esp after he banged out 15 reps in the press).   I get since then he has changed but he was super focused that whole year on nothing but WSM (he lived and breathed it) and thor was the total opposite.   

I wonder what/who other athletes bring. I dont get the impression many of them bring an entourage other than Thor but I maybe wrong. I Thought it was normally just family.

scotty2hatty
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #3461 on: May 19, 2020, 10:17:10 AM »

From my perspective, Eddie's not GIQ stems from a sense of pride of his achievement whereas others don't GIQ because they are full of themselves. Could be wrong.

iRaise, you definitely seem to be Team Thor, were you in a blue t-shirt in that video?
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #3462 on: May 19, 2020, 11:23:23 AM »

I get the impression Eddie always treats it purely business and a job to do and i don't remember seeing his wife and kids at many events if ever.   Never mind bringing half of Stoke's strength asylum with him to pat him on the back.    I think it is totally different now for him as he is all about the hype/social media to drive his income/brand now.

I think when Kaz welcomed him to 'the club' that humbled him massively and it really hit home that he was done and his 12 years of work was over.   No more 12,000 cal days and sleeping with a mask on to not risk dying.  He had already decided to quit beforehand if he won (on medical advice because he isn't built to do what he does naturally like Thor and Shaw) and he already had his number plate bought 'WSM 2017' so whatever his personalised plate was so convinced he was it was his title and how single minded he was that year to do the business.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: May 19, 2020, 06:43:29 PM »

That video has been taken down and with good reason by the look of it:

Makes the whole video look suspect and I take back what I said about losing respect for Thor because of the handshake thing.....

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: May 19, 2020, 07:05:39 PM »

From my perspective, Eddie's not GIQ stems from a sense of pride of his achievement whereas others don't GIQ because they are full of themselves. Could be wrong.

iRaise, you definitely seem to be Team Thor, were you in a blue t-shirt in that video?

I'm honestly not team any of them. It just feels to me this is all a bit Eddie heavy. All seems a bit pick and choose, Eddie has blasted refs before, been arrogant to fellow UK athletes, says he can come to the UKs and 50% and win etc. I am honestly not pro any of them. But the ego and arrogance in strongmen is huge. Seems mental to pick a side on such limited info.
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 229 230 [231] 232 233 234 235 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: